'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Do I need extra suspension?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-14 5:24 PM
2 replies, 2608 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

traveller
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-05-10 5:37 PM (#60664)
Subject: Do I need extra suspension?

I am finally taking the plunge and buying a used living quarters trailer, hopefully, a 2001 Sundowner Trailblazer II, 6'9" wide, eight foot shortwall, three horse, no midtack.  The woman I am buying from thinks that it will weigh about 11,000 pounds with three horses in it.  I suspect that it weighs about 8,000 or 8,500 pounds empty so I think that it will come out a bit more than that.  I have a F-250, Superduty, 2005, V-10 so I should have plenty of pulling power.   I was concerned that I needed extra suspension, air bags or some other solution, but a couple of pretty well-informed individuals (relatives) don't seem to think I will.  I know that the real test is when I hook up, and I don't have to move it too far to get it home, maybe 40 miles, but I would like to be ready when I pick it up.  (I am getting a gooseneck hitch put on next week. )  Do I bit the bullet and get something or wait until I get the trailer to determine what is best.  I looked up the subject on previous threads with suggestions for timbrens, supersprings and air bags.  Any good suggestions for my particular situation? Thanks in advance.  
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-05-10 7:01 PM (#60666 - in reply to #60664)
Subject: RE: Do I need extra suspension?

Expert

i would try timbrens first, very cost effective and simple to install.  but i certainly would NOT worry about it until you haul it the first time and see what happens.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-14 5:24 PM (#60761 - in reply to #60666)
Subject: RE: Do I need extra suspension?

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-05-10 7:01 PM

i would try Timbrens first, very cost effective and simple to install. but i certainly would NOT worry about it until you haul it the first time and see what happens.

I agree. I've had Timbrins on my tow vehicle for 6-7 years. First on an 97 Ford 3/4 T pulling a 3H b.p. Hawk trailer then pulling a 3h gn LQ trailer. Now on a '03 Dodge Ram 2500 CTR pulling a 3h gn LQ trailer w/ slide out. The Timbrins eliminate the "squat" when you hook up the trailer. When traveling unloaded, you don't know they're there.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)