'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
MN State Parks & Forest Alert !

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-29 12:45 PM
8 replies, 4460 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-05 9:59 AM (#58561)
Subject: MN State Parks & Forest Alert !

Elite Veteran

Effective in 2007...campers will NOT be allowed to bring FIRE WOOD into MN State Parks, Forest and an DNR owned land.MN DNR is asking all campers to please respect this request while the current legislation bill is on the floor waiting passage.If you want to have a fire during your camping trip in MN DNR owned land, you must purchase fire wood directly from the DNR park's office or forest ranger."Movement of firewood has been closely associated with the spread of several very damaging forest pests, including the emerald ash borer (EAB), Sirex wood wasp, gypsy moth, Asian long-horned beetle, and a number of other wood-boring insects, plus decay and wood-stain fungi as well as the pathogens that cause Dutch elm disease, oak wilt, and sudden oak death."After the bill is passed your options for fire wood will be:1. Purchase from DNR park's office or forest ranger.2. Purchase from an DNR approved Fire Wood Vendor (list will be posted on DNR web site).3. CLEAN/NEW not treated 2x4 lumber. For more info on the 2007 BAN on firewood please visit http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/firewood/index.htmlPlease cross post this information to campers who may be using MN DNR Lands. THANKS!Don't forget to buy the new 2007 Horse Trail Pass!!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-04-05 2:04 PM (#58578 - in reply to #58561)
Subject: RE: MN State Parks & Forest Alert !

Extreme Veteran

I can hardly wait for camping this summer. Cooking brats and roasting marshmallows over a fire made with 2x4s, while we wear our stupid horse permit.

I think I will be staying west of the Red River for most of the summer.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-05 2:27 PM (#58581 - in reply to #58578)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2007-04-05 2:04 PM

I can hardly wait for camping this summer. Cooking brats and roasting marshmallows over a fire made with 2x4s, while we wear our stupid horse permit.
I laughed so hard...I almost peed my riding breeches!
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-04-06 11:00 AM (#58659 - in reply to #58561)

Elite Veteran

What's this about permits??? I swear we are going to have to be hermetically sealed and our horses will be wearing diapers (before we are again..) AND we will be taxed for polluting these damn townfolks little concrete paradise!!!

I live in hillbillyland (sw missouri), but we are not hillbillies... however,I have alot more respect for their way of life than the style of ones I make my living on..ha

I think our current administration is well on the way to calling an end to the world or at least as we know it anyway...I will ride, eat meat,burn real wood in  real fires, and carry protection until it is taken from my cold hand, and live the way I want STILL because until they give it away WE STILL LIVE IN AMERICA!!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-05-24 12:34 PM (#61238 - in reply to #58561)

Extreme Veteran

Is there a list of certified wood vendors somewhere? I am going into MN this weekend, and the person who answered the phone didn't know if there would be certified wood available at Pillsbury State Forest. I would hate to be throwed in the State Forest Slammer for having the wrong kind of wood.
IcePonyGoddess
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-05-24 6:04 PM (#61249 - in reply to #61238)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2007-05-24 12:34 PM

Is there a list of certified wood vendors somewhere? I am going into MN this weekend, and the person who answered the phone didn't know if there would be certified wood available at Pillsbury State Forest. I would hate to be throwed in the State Forest Slammer for having the wrong kind of wood.
Not yet! I hope the trails have been cleared since late last fall. Lots of down trees making it hard to use the trails. If you get tossed into Stillwater Prison, I'll stop by to visit ya, since I work in Stillwater it'll be on my way home! HAHA!
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-27 9:17 PM (#61326 - in reply to #58561)

Extreme Veteran

Seems like that's what's happening all over. We were camping at Weinberg-King SP in Illinois last week and they had warning signs "Don't bring any firewood from Indiana, Ohio or Michigan" due to Emerald Ash borer. Too many bad things going around.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 7:50 AM (#61379 - in reply to #58561)

Extreme Veteran

I stopped at a gas station on the way to Pillsbury and bought two bundles of firewood. Actually, I am not completely sure if it was even "certified", but with the orange twine string around it, I figured I could argue my point to any ranger that questioned me about it. It turned out we never were checked for certified wood--it was funny how those two bundles lasted all weekend, yet we constantly had a campfire. Ha ha.

We did get stopped by a DNR officer who was checking for trail permits, though. He said he was not writing any tickets, but just educating people on the new requirement.

Pillsbury was fun. Yes, a few down trees, but nothing more than belly-high that the horses couldn't manage. A year ago, I packed a bow-saw and used it a few times. No use for it this year. Most of the "marked" horse trails there are also snowmobile trails, so any down trees more than 2 months old would probably have been cleared.
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-05-29 12:45 PM (#61399 - in reply to #58561)

Extreme Veteran

Rules, rules, rules. Permits, certified wood, certified hay out west. Trail riding has become a victim of the PC police.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)