'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
How to hang hay bags on white skin trailer without scratching too much

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-02 8:41 AM
5 replies, 3547 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

stef73433
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-05-01 9:58 PM (#60276)
Subject: How to hang hay bags on white skin trailer without scratching too much

Regular

How do you guys hang your hay on your trailer without the skin scratching up really bad???
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-01 11:39 PM (#60279 - in reply to #60276)
Subject: RE: How to hang hay bags on white skin trailer without scratching too much

Expert

On a previous trailer, I frequently did CTR and tied my horses to the trailer for a LOT of weekends. Not only was I worried about haynets, water buckets, but also bored horses damaging my trailer.  I had a local sign shop make me a vinyl sheet for the side of my trailer. In my case it was just plain white 14 mill vinyl with a scrim embedded in it., But I could of had them print something fun on the panel. They make a lot of Bill boards and side panels for the side of semi trucks out of this material.

I attached a "C" channel to the roof.  Theshop welded a 3/8" rope to the edge of the vinyl sheet. I would slide the rope into the "C Channel" and slide it into place. I would then bungie the bottom edge under the trailer.  The cat walks on the side of the trailer held the vinyl sheet out about 8" from the trailer. I cut a couple slits in the vinyl and would hang ropes on the"Ties" and thread them out the slits.  Tie the hay bags to the ropes. 

All the mess was on the vinyl sheet. None on the trailer.

This may be excessive if you only stay for an hour or two. But if you stay parked for the weekend, It was worth the effort.

Edited by Painted Horse 2007-05-01 11:45 PM
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-05-02 4:53 AM (#60284 - in reply to #60279)
Subject: RE: How to hang hay bags on white skin trailer without scratching too much

Extreme Veteran

cool picture- what a good idea!  what if the wind was stong-didn't  the vinyl sheet billow up and freak out the horse?

you could always use cloth hay bags and make a bracket for water buckets.

nfr101
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-05-02 7:07 AM (#60290 - in reply to #60276)

I wasn't following the description, but what do they say "A picture is worth a thousand words".

Your idea is indeed a fabulous one, thanks for sharing!

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-05-02 8:06 AM (#60293 - in reply to #60284)

Expert

Not ony did it keep my trailer clean. It prevented any dents or scraps from pawing hooves.

I never had any problem with the wind when the tarp was installed. But it was a challenge to install it or roll it up after wards if the wind was really blowing. The trick is to bungie it tight enough at the bottom that the it is very taught.

On bright days, I think the pure white was too bright. I had a hard time looking at it in the bright sun. If I were to do it again, I'd have the print shop print something on the vinyl. the color would help soften the brightness.

Just to educate. There are companies that print large banners, billboards, side panels for trucks on this material. It comes in a 14' width by 5000 foot long roll..  The company I got this from prints bill boards for national companies. Products like Levi, Aleve, Campbells Soups, several brands of beer. They send it through a 14' wide printer, just like a sheet of paper through a Ink Jet printer on your desk.  So it would be real easy to print your ranch logo, your favorite equine event, or any other picture on the material. You can buy the banners for about $1.00 a sf and the "C" channel wil cost $25-$30.  So you might have $100-$150 tied up. But when you are done using it on your trailer, use it to cover your haystack. In fact the place I got this from, often had defective product, ( where the ink got smeared or the picture wasn't centered that they would give away) I've use several of those defects to cover haystacks.

cab1118
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-05-02 8:41 AM (#60294 - in reply to #60293)

The first thing I thought of was glare on bright days.  Other than that looks like a really good idea.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)