'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Advice needed from sellars!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-28 8:43 AM
7 replies, 3305 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Nynx
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-25 2:24 PM (#59941)
Subject: Advice needed from sellars!

New User

I will looking to buy a trailer after I save up for a while as I want to pay in full or in as few payments as possible.

I've never bought or sold anything worth a lot of money online, so I wanted to get some advice from sellers (or buyers) that can give me some tips.

What do most sellers prefer to get paid with?  Money orders, debit or credit cards, bags of money with a dollar sign drawn on? Do any prefer payments as opposed to lump sums? I'm not new to online buying, just that I've kept it simple with places like Amazon, who don't intend to rip you off. 

What are a few things I should look out for?  I doubt there is an underground ring of sellers that are around just to rip you off, but what do I know?  Trailers get stolen so I guess there could be.

Any advice much appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-04-25 4:33 PM (#59956 - in reply to #59941)
Subject: RE: Advice needed from sellars!

Expert

I want to be paid when I deleiver.  No payments. If you need to make payments go see a bank.

Wire transfer to my bank are great.  But usually I have to take a check, usually at the buyers bank and cash it immediately.

Most folks are honest. But dang it only takes one bad one to ruin you.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-25 8:42 PM (#59971 - in reply to #59941)

Expert

Originally written by Nynx on 2007-04-25 3:24 PM

What are a few things I should look out for?  I doubt there is an underground ring of sellers that are around just to rip you off, but what do I know?  Trailers get stolen so I guess there could be.

Any advice much appreciated.

Actually there are quite a few deceptive people out there in internet land!!!!

Remember...If it seems to good to be true...it probably is...

That said...Good Luck with your effort...

Nynx
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-26 2:13 PM (#60020 - in reply to #59941)

New User

Thanks for the advice guys.  I'll definitly keep it in mind.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-26 6:06 PM (#60029 - in reply to #59941)

Expert

I sold two trailers on this site last week, Both well over ten grand, both went out of state. Both brought bags of money, that's what I needed when I bought them, thats what I expect when you buy it from me.

Edited by HWBar 2007-04-26 6:08 PM
Covert Cowboy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-27 9:49 AM (#60062 - in reply to #59941)

Regular

bags of money with a dollar sign drawn on

Almost spit my drink out all over my monitor!

I guess it all depends on who you are buying from... If you're buying on eBay and want to do it the "legal" way then PayPal would be the preferred method... but I would much rather you see my ad and come to my house with cash in hand to avoid all the eBay and PayPal fees.

Unless you're going through a service like eBay most private party sellers aren't going to have the ability to take a credit or debit card.

As far as buying from a dealer, they'll take anything you want to give them. Most would probably rather finance even a portion of it because they make a small back end profit on financing. However, no one will ever say "No" to a wad of cash.

Edited by Covert Cowboy 2007-04-27 9:50 AM

chawley
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-04-27 1:34 PM (#60070 - in reply to #59941)

When I posted my trailer to be sold on this site, I was contacted by several people that wanted to wire transfer me the money for the trailer, plus the cost of shipping and then have me pay the shipper. This seemed very strange to me so I contacted the site administrators and they said this is a common scam. The only way I would every do business is either through Paypal or a certified bank check delivered at the time of delivery on the trailer. You have to be careful, there are plenty of dishonest people out there.
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-28 8:43 AM (#60096 - in reply to #59941)

Elite Veteran

From a buyer perspective, also make sure there is a clear title and it matches the trailer you are purchasing. Had my new 4 month old Elite LQ trailer stolen in 2005 and am waiting for the day it reappears when someone purchases it in a title required state and tries to tag it; assuming the VIN hasn't been removed. As other post says, if the price is too good to be true, there is a reason. Be careful so you don't end up with a "HOT" trailer.

As far as payment, I prefer money to be wired to my bank account or cash. Even money orders can be forged these days. Good luck and happy trailer hunting.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)