'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Kiefer Aluminum floors

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-03 8:25 AM
23 replies, 12196 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-28 11:50 PM (#57968)
Subject: Kiefer Aluminum floors

This is a continuation of a thread started under the trailer has rotten ramp.  My Kiefer trailer and apparently alot of other Kiefer aluminum trailers are developing serious floor problems which Kiefer is unwilling to stand behind to either repair, replace or give possible solutions for repair.  I am wondering if anyone out there has any suggestions on the best way to fix the aluminum floor deterioration. I have been told I can replace the floor (my cost) with new aluminum.  One engineer friend has stated he thinks to bolt the old aluminum floor back to the frame, rhino coat and then install a wolmanized wood floor over the rhino coated old floor.  (my trailer is plenty tall enough to accomodate this with no problem)  Will the aluminum floor deteriorating affect the aluminum frame?    I must do something in order to insure the safety of this trailer.  It was not an inexpensive trailer and is only 5-1/2 years old, always kept under cover and cleaned.  Any suggestions appreciated.                        

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
huntseat
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-03-29 12:31 AM (#57971 - in reply to #57968)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Aluminum floors

Expert

If you really want Keifer to fix it then take your trailer and park it near a Keifer dealer with giant lemon signs hung on it.  Better yet go to some bigger horse shows and park it near the building and let it be on display, signs could read see Keifer quality first hand!  Can you force Keifer to buy back this trailer under the law that protects consumers from deadly products, federal Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act?
Riderguy
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 8:35 AM (#57977 - in reply to #57968)

You know, I find it really funny that we now want to set the world on fire about a 6 or 7 year old trailer with problems from an unknown source- possibly even abuse or neglect, yet when I posted looking for help a few weeks ago on a 2 year old Cimarron with a roof in pieces (purely defective materials), there was no interest at all. If we're going to get all radical.....
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-03-29 9:00 AM (#57978 - in reply to #57968)

Expert

What is your warranty?  I'm no expert on Kiefer Built trailers. Nor have I ever looked at their product. So I have no first hand knowledge of their product. but I did pull up their website and looked at their warranty.

It looks like Kiefer offers a 3 year structural warranty and 1 year componet warranty. The trailer frame, cross members etc fall under the structural warranty, the flooring I assume falls under the component warranty.

It appears you are past the warranty period. No manufacture can warranty a product for ever. We all expect our trailers last longer the warranty period. But we assume that during the warranty period the manufacture will take care of all cost of repairs and we assume that we will pay the cost of repairs after the warranty period.

Warranties are calculated into the cost of a product. For example when I build a home I sit and talk with the prospective buyers. If they express a desire that they will never have crack in their cement work, and I know that there are two fact about cement. (1. it gets hard after it's poured and 2. It will eventually crack) I will budget extra money to remove and replace concrete as it cracks.  This of course drives up the price of the home. The buyer has the choice, Pay the extra cost or live with what the industry considers an acceptable standard for cracks. Neither choice says I built an inferior product. But just what the customer was willing to pay for.

Since I assume you researched the trailer prior to buying it. I suspect you looked at the warranty before buying the trailer. My trailer has a 20 year warranty on the flooring. So I expect my floor to last twenty years, Not thirty. Your trailer has 1 year warranty on componets, so 5 1/2 years exceeds that.  I don't think it's fair to purchase a lesser expensive trailer and then compare warranty & quality with more expensive products. Every manufacture has to make trade offs in cost vs performance of products.

Now if the trailer has design flaws that prevents it from preforming to advertised performance levels. Then yes you need to bring it to the manufactures attention. If the manufacture, in this case Kiefer Built represented that the floors should last 10 years.   Then the flooring should last that long and they should replace it. If they did not represent that, then do your maintainence and replace the floor as part of your maintainence program and don't try to change the warranty after the fact.

Diamond V
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-29 9:19 AM (#57979 - in reply to #57968)

Okay here is my suggestion for you to fix your floor. Have the Floor acid washed and cleaned really good. If you have any holes in the floor have them patched. If it is just pitted you won't need to do any patching. Then take the trailer to a Arma-Coating, Linix or Rhino Coating Place and have the Entire Floored Sprayed. This should stop the problem. We have done this same process in Older Alum Trailers we have traded for in the past and they are all performing fine today as I know of.

Having said the above. Let me also say that Alum is not the saving Grace. It does not Rust but it will oxidize which is just like rust to steel. It is just that Alum does not oxidize as fast as Steel Rust. That is just what we have noticed in all of the years we have been in the trailer bussiness.

If you need any help or have any questions on the fix please feel free to give us a call

Ricky Vaughn 

Diamond V Trailer Sales

704-546-5216

windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 11:57 AM (#57988 - in reply to #57979)

Thank you Ricky for a possible solution.  To the post regarding the warranty.  This trailer is the Genesis, top of their trailer line.  It has a 3 year bumper to bumper and an 8 year structural warranty.  They are now saying the floor was not part of the "structure" when this trailer was made in 2002 (it is now under current warranties)  I am not trying to play absolute hardball with them on giving me a new floor.  I have asked them help me with solutions or in a display of some type of goodwill (or hope to maintain a repeat customer's good relationship) to discount a new floor for me to have installed.  I don't think that is unreasonable.  This trailer was maintained meticulously and I have discovered there are many more, newer ones out there with this same problem  (floors deteriorating and welds popping loose from the frame by the tens).  There is a definite problem within the manufacturer, this problem being reported multiple times and the ramp and rear doors they knew to be defective and did not recall.  They know they have a quality control issue but seem unwilling to meet you half way or even one quarter of the way.  If they really persist in this business model the market place will deal with them as a good reputation is a most valuable asset.  I bought this trailer brand as I had a Kiefer I purchased new and had it for 15 years with no problems.  It appears they are having major problems with the aluminum aspect combined with trying to cheapen the trailer for the bottom line.  Their lack of willingness to find a solution to the problem (regardless of who pays) has completely erroded any confidence or customer loyalty I had in this company. 

Diamond V
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-03-29 12:18 PM (#57990 - in reply to #57968)

Just Curious.

What does your dealer have to say about all of this ????

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2007-03-29 1:25 PM (#57995 - in reply to #57968)

Elite Veteran

My understanding is that Kiefer started the 3/8 warranty in spring of '04. So your trailer was never, ever, covered by a warranty like that. But none the less- aluminum corrosion is a chemical reaction. As old as it is, what are/were you doing that could be causing this? Pure water cleanings, or acid baths won't cause corrosion. So somewhere, there is an environmental issue that needs to be found & addressed. I don't mind blaming a trailer maker- but I'm not sure they bear the brunt of the blame here. They replaced your ramp I believe you said, and something else happens after and out of any warranty & you're upset. I don't get it. BTW- Have a lot of friends with Kiefers, they love theirs...
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2007-03-29 2:01 PM (#57999 - in reply to #57968)

Expert

If the aluminum flooring is a problem, why replace it with another aluminum floor. Replace it with another type of flooring. Your friend suggested a Pressure Treated Lumber.  But even Pressure Treated Lumber is still wood and has defects, i.e. knots in the wood.  Another option is the Rumber product. It is available in 2x6 planks.  It carries a 20 year warranty and dosen't require you to add mats to it like you would a wood or aluminum floor.  www.rumber.com

psdoolittle
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-03-30 10:40 AM (#58065 - in reply to #57968)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Aluminum floors and doors

I don't think the OP should be flamed for pointing out her issues with the trailer and asking for suggestions. Even under harsher conditions, after 5.5 years of use, I would not expect a trailer floor to be so unsafe that it's ready to drop a horse through it. If your car performed like that, NHSTA would be all over it!

I have had personal experience with Kiefer Built's customer service:

http://www.dressagedaily.com/2006/dd_200611/dd_20061120m.html

After this story was written (starting w/ page a at the above link) as well as another article published in the chronicle of the horse (Nov. 17 2006), I have heard from several people who have had horses permanently injured and one even killed because of weld and rear door issues. In the end for all of these stories people have contacted me about, KB blamed the customer. I encourage anyone having issues with this company or any company (including cimarron) to please do the right thing for our families and our horses: make them accountable for their product. There needs to be an industry standard set in place that will minimize the many risks inherently involved in hauling horses.

Diamond V, I am familiar with your previous posts on KB trailers. I believe you are an honorable businessman and are trying to do the right thing for your business, your vendors, and your customers. If YOU were the CEO of KB, then I might consider one day buying a KB trailer but until that happens, I 'm keeping my featherlite!

Best wishes.

windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 11:20 AM (#58069 - in reply to #58065)
Subject: RE: Kiefer Aluminum floors and doors

Thank you, I was some what taken back by the thought that a five and a half year old trailer should be falling apart.  I do not live in a coastal area, I do not live in an area where road salts are an issue (if on the one time a year they may do that I am not trailering as it implies the weather is bad) The floor has rubber mats over it (of course), I put clean shavings on top of that.  I clean the shavings even when I arrive where I am going and then upon arriving back home reclean, and check under the mat (if they have urinated, which my horses are not really prone to do as I trailer short distances)  I do not use anything beyond water to clean.  The trailer is stored on concrete in a building built tall enough to house it, the walls of this building come all the way to the concrete. With the overhang on this building rain does not even blow under the trailer from the one side that is open.     My main complaint is their seeming lack of care/concern as to the safety of our horses.  The very fact that they did not recall all the trailers with the rotten ramps is evidence of that.  I can tell you from owning Kiefer trailers since 1990 that there is a definite different attitude in this company when you call them.    The dealer I bought the first Kiefer trailer from went out of business.  The dealer I got the second trailer from recently went out of business.  They did help me in getting the ramp replaced.  I am noticing that the dealership I took the trailer to for the warranty ramp replacement no longer is handling Kiefer Trailers.  I am sure they are not willing to sacrifice their reputation and business for a company that has lost its direction. 
windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-30 12:25 PM (#58086 - in reply to #57968)

I have recontacted Kiefer today and they are in a different frame of mind, willing to try to help now.  They have contacted the dealer I had the ramp replacement through and I have spoken with them.  There are at least some viable options out there now. I must be fair and report good behavior as well as the bad.  This has taken well over a month of calls on my part. This will be at my expense but I appreciate someone trying to give me options and a solution.  Most of these are coming from the dealer.

ME Reiner
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-28 2:18 PM (#60107 - in reply to #57977)

Riderguy

Can you tell me more about your Cimarron? I have a 04 Kiefer that I HATE. It has not held up and I am looking at an 07 Cimarron from Leonard trailer sales in OH. I am concerned about the roof being an odd composite material.

What year is your Cimarron?

ME Reiner
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-28 2:27 PM (#60108 - in reply to #57988)

Hello Windridge

I had the exact same experience with Kiefter, I have welds spliting and cracking all over my trailer. It is an 04 and still under warranty. They have repaired a weld each time that I find a new problem. My issue is, how many welds are bad that I can't see inside the trailer. Is this trailer structuraly sound!!!!! Kiefer and the sales dealership don't care that my horses may be at risk. They won't compromise with me to get me out of this poorly manufactured trailer and into a newer one.

I am very dissappointed in Kiefer and feel cheated.

Do you know of anyone that has persued legal action?

ME Reiner
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-28 2:28 PM (#60109 - in reply to #57995)

BTW- Have a Kiefer- Hate it!!!!
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-04-28 6:14 PM (#60114 - in reply to #57968)

Extreme Veteran

I had a Keifer Steel trailer, a little Golden Hawk 2H BP.  I loved that little trailer, but I moved up to a DR trailer.  I sold it to a friend who likes it as well as I did. 

I always find it difficult when trailers that used to be real super trailers hit a snag in their production that causes problems.

Jbsny

windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-29 12:16 AM (#60121 - in reply to #60114)

I had a steel 1990 Kiefer trailer that I owned until getting the 2002 Aluminum Kiefer.  I loved the steel bumper pull, never had a moments trouble with it.  I only got the 2002 Kiefer as I now own warmbloods (17.1) and needed the warmblood size trailer.    From the get, go the 2002 was trouble.  The fact that there was no quality control at Kiefer on what was produced for them (outsourced) in the way of the bad ramps and rear bus doors was very disturbing and the fact that they did not recall these bad doors and ramps is even more so.    The Kiefer dealer that had the suggestions for repair to my floor did a 180 and said it would not work and then quoted twice what they initially said to replace the floor.  I have contacted a local trailer dealer, with repair capabilities, that used to sell Kiefer but no longer handles them due to the enormous amount of problems associated with them and they do not want to loose their business as a result of selling them.  They want to see my floor and I hope to be able to make time to get it over next week.   Kiefer is definitely a company that has lost its focus.  Very sad to see what used to be a good product go bad.

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-04-29 8:54 AM (#60129 - in reply to #60108)

Expert

Originally written by ME Reiner on 2007-04-28 3:27 PM

Hello Windridge

I had the exact same experience with Kiefter, I have welds spliting and cracking all over my trailer. It is an 04 and still under warranty. They have repaired a weld each time that I find a new problem. My issue is, how many welds are bad that I can't see inside the trailer. Is this trailer structuraly sound!!!!! Kiefer and the sales dealership don't care that my horses may be at risk. They won't compromise with me to get me out of this poorly manufactured trailer and into a newer one.

I am very dissappointed in Kiefer and feel cheated.

Do you know of anyone that has persued legal action?

Assuming you have been documenting all of these failures...does Maine have a consumer Lemon Law????

durn_straight
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-04-29 7:49 PM (#60155 - in reply to #57968)

I'm not sure if I'm right by saying this, but it seems that the owner of this site has favorites in TRAILER manufacturers. I've seen other TOP selling brands get bad press and the BAMMMM !!!! shut the thread down quickly, but some other brands get the dog beat out of them and it never gets shut down until the company writes in I'm guessing to stop the bashing which is understandable. All I'm saying is lets keep this site FAIR for all trailer brands and customers for that matter to voice their pros and cons in a CIVIL manner of course. Again just my 2 cents.
windridge
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-30 9:26 AM (#60181 - in reply to #60155)

I would sure hope that the forum is open to get experiences with our trailers out there.  I haven't looked at other brands on the site but was about to do so if I were able to trade this trailer.  But, I think the word needs to be out there on good and bad things on all brands.  All the people that I have received and sent private messages from/to have had the EXACT same problems with these trailers and with the response of the company.   I would be less concerned if it were a specific year with problems.  But, the floor construction material and the welds popping loose are spanning at least 3 years that I know of. (their top of the line trailers)  I love the design of my trailer.  It is very functional.  But, if I can't count on it structurally then I have a major problem.  There are numerous KB trailers out there falling apart that are almost new.  There are so many exclusions in the warranty that they can deny coverage under the warranty easily.  I am sure this is true of other manufacturers also...  Yes, this was my fault in not reading the fine print.  I did not assume the quality would have deteriorated so much from my previous Kiefer. But, again I do hope that the forum is open to our problems with all brands of trailers so that the consumer can read, assess the problems and make a logical decision in the purchase of a trailer.  There is no perfect trailer, truck.  All have issues as they are made by humans.  Some more so than others and it is a problem when the same exact safety issue keeps repeating year after year. Wear and tear is expected and I assume the responsibility to regularly maintain and repair normal wear and tear.  But, these issues go beyond that.  It is one thing if the paint is chipping or the roof leaks some or the door or windows aren't tight.  My horse will not be in jeopardy from that.  A floor coming apart due to poor quality flooring material is another thing. 
overit2007
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-30 1:48 PM (#60195 - in reply to #60155)

New User

Durn_ straight after lookin further into it i have to agree.
psdoolittle
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-05-02 11:58 AM (#60303 - in reply to #60155)

Originally written by durn_straight on 2007-04-29 7:49 PM

I'm not sure if I'm right by saying this, but it seems that the owner of this site has favorites in TRAILER manufacturers. I've seen other TOP selling brands get bad press and the BAMMMM !!!! shut the thread down quickly, but some other brands get the dog beat out of them and it never gets shut down until the company writes in I'm guessing to stop the bashing which is understandable. All I'm saying is lets keep this site FAIR for all trailer brands and customers for that matter to voice their pros and cons in a CIVIL manner of course. Again just my 2 cents.

dern_straight, what you say isn't straight enough for me to get. Are you saying this site will shut down posts re: KB trailers if the discussion isn't in favor of the company? Imagine that!

ME Reiner--sent you a PM regarding your question.

durn_straight
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2007-05-02 7:10 PM (#60331 - in reply to #60303)

I was merely stating my opinion on, that some topics get closed more quickly than others period. I haven't a good or bad opinion of Keifer. This was just a general observation. It's kinda like the old cliche' If you didn't bring enough gum for the whole class don't bring any at all. If you are going to shut down a topic that is getting bad "In some people's opionion" then shut them all down after all this is America land of the free. That being said ,I'm not saying it's alright to bash trailer companies ,just tell the truth about your experience. I'm not going to fight about it because I'm not really mad about it, again just my 2 cents.

psdoolittle
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-05-03 8:25 AM (#60348 - in reply to #57968)

got it. and by the look of some of your other posts, i gather you have a penny bank! (just ribbin' ya a little)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)