'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Zenith Horse Camp & Campground in TN

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-05-01 6:51 AM
11 replies, 7012 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-13 3:26 PM (#59232)
Subject: Zenith Horse Camp & Campground in TN

I was wondering if anyone can give me some information on the trails from this campground. How is the Railroad ride? We are going there in September for the first time and would like to get an idea of what to expect. We go to Mt. Rogers in VA a lot and love it! But we are trying to venture out to other places now.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-15 9:06 AM (#59319 - in reply to #59232)
Subject: RE: Zenith Horse Camp & Campground in TN

Regular

We have been going to Zenith two or three times a year for the last three years. It is a wonderful campground. Be sure and take everything you need because it is about 10 miles or so into town. The campsites are large and spacious, the stalls are great. They have a kitchen you can use. The owner will ride the trails with you if you wish and also trailer you to other trailheads. The railroad is one of the best rides, we think, in the Big Southfork. Also, you can access nurmerous other trails from Zenith.
JacciB
Reg. Nov 2006
Posted 2007-04-17 12:17 PM (#59454 - in reply to #59319)

Extreme Veteran

Hi Soundhorse:

Would you say the trails are suitable for beginners?  Do you have to cross an old railroad bridge?

Thanks,

JacciB

soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-17 9:27 PM (#59500 - in reply to #59454)

Regular

The railroad bed is just a flat trail. If it has been raining there will be large puddles of water. We have always been told to go through the water because there is a hard bottom. You will get in more trouble going around than going through. The bridge is all the way down to one end of the railroad bed. You do not have to cross it. You can turn around and come back. You have to do that anyway. The only thing I probably would be concerned about with beginners is crossing the creek. To me, it is more of a river than a creek.

Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-18 7:05 AM (#59519 - in reply to #59232)

Thanks for the info on the railroad trail. So what trails are a must see? Can you ride out without double tracking for the most part? I don't mind coming back in on a short trail but one way in and one way out gets old after a couple of days.
soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-19 7:04 AM (#59585 - in reply to #59519)

Regular

soundhorse
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-04-19 7:13 AM (#59586 - in reply to #59519)

Regular

It is one way in and one way out for a couple of miles. I agree that does get old. You can make a circle from Zenith to the railroad bed and back but, one leg of that is for a more experienced rider and horse. At the end you still have to ride the same trail back into camp. Charit Creek is a beautiful trail. You can access it from Bandy Creek Campground. Bandy Creek has great trail access. The only thing I don't like about it is that your horse is only the other side of the campground. You have to drive over to them. I suggest contacting the park and getting a trail map. They have one that lists the trailheads, milage and difficulty.

KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 7:34 AM (#59589 - in reply to #59232)

We have been riding at Big South Fork for over 15 years.  There has been many new private camps open in the last 5+ years, Zenith included.  You still can't beat the actual National Park horsecamps.  Yeah, at Bandy Creek you have to drive or walk to the barn (if your not lazy) to feed, but your horse is in a roomy and very safe stall.  The campground is one of the nicest you will ever stay at.  Bandy Creek offers a central location to ride to Charit Creek Lodge, Coyle Branch, O&W Railroad and other trails.  On the other side of the gorge is Station Camp, which is a wonderful small horsecamp.  Your horses are in metal tie stalls, which I don't care for very much, but still have used them and have never had a problem.  The riding out of Station Camp is just as nice as Bandy Creek maybe nicer.  You can access Charit Creek Lodge from Station Camp by crossing the river.  In my opinion, don't go to BSF without at least riding to and seeing Charit Creek.  On the Kentucky side is Bear Creek Horsecamp which is set up the same as Station Camp.  Not as much riding out of Bear Creek but what is there is beautiful.  Buy a waterproof map from the visitors center.  It may cost you $10, but its worth it.  Note:  Many of the trails that are off of the railroad bed have been made since many of the private camps have opened.  They are not on the map but do have signage.  The rangers can draw the trails on the map for you.  If you ride off the railroad bed, don't miss going to Needle's Eye.  Its amazing.
KyQHRider
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 7:36 AM (#59591 - in reply to #59232)

Hey Diamond Cut Cowboy, since I see that you are from NC have you been to Ultimate Ride at Dupont.  Would you recommend it?  How far do you have to ride out of camp to get to the trails?  Would it be worth staying a week there? 
Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 8:19 AM (#59597 - in reply to #59232)

We haven't been there yet. We have thought of doing a weekend there to see how it is maybe this year.
Sorry I couldn't answer your question. Maybe someone else can.
Forty
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-04-30 4:13 PM (#60202 - in reply to #59232)

I have ridden at Big South fork for several years. I prefer Bandy Creek. Your horses are save in well buit stalls and the campground is first rate with very clean facilities.

Several trails are off O&W and you can make a loop by going up near Honey Creek Horse Camp. The following site is a good map of these trails. From these trails, you need to see Double Arch and the O&W Overlook.  Both are spectacular.

http://honeycreekhorsecamp.com/the_trails/trail_list/trail_maps/hchc_trail_map.pdf

sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-05-01 6:51 AM (#60228 - in reply to #59597)

Veteran

The Ultimate in Dupont has much more bad ratings than good ones. I would pick somewhere else to go. Go to http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/ are read the ratings. The ulitmate is under 4 different headings.

I have been to Dupont for a day ride and was not impressed. We just rode roads. I think it must be nicer than what I saw on that day. We must not have know where to go.

Read the ratins on the Ultimate before you make reservations. There are a few other places to camp there. You will see them listed on the website above.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)