'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
F350 & Trailer brake issues...turn on lights, brake engage

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-14 9:53 PM
4 replies, 2960 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

2feathers
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 9:25 AM (#59273)
Subject: F350 & Trailer brake issues...turn on lights, brake engage

New User

On my F350, when I turn on my lights my trailer brakes kick on.  I researched and found, actually had to purchase some info on wiring diagrams...some help, but not much.   I recently had the brakes to lock up. 

Here is what I have done:  checked all fuses and relays, trailer plug.  I know that I have a grounding problem....but it is a mystery to me where.  I know that when the lights kick on, that the brakes are grounding and engaging.....

Any suggestions anyone?

THX

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
willie 77
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 9:55 AM (#59277 - in reply to #59273)
Subject: RE: F350 & Trailer brake issues...turn on lights, brake engage

I had the same problem on my truck after i had a new bw turnover hitch and brake controller installed.they used the wrong wiring harness from the brake controller,to the fusebox.my truck has a sensor that turns the lights on automaticly,not good to have your brakes lock up going down the road at 55 mph. luckly i didn't have my horses loaded.check to see if your factory harness was used mine was still in the glovebox.they switched harness and i've had no problems after that.
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-14 1:01 PM (#59280 - in reply to #59273)

Extreme Veteran

I encountered a similar instance a few years ago with a fellow teacher that we hauled with to FFA livestock shows.  On our way back one of the women that hauls had the problem that when she went to turn on her lights at night, her trailer locked up.  We ended up realizing that one of the kids had pulled the break away cable off the emergency brake box.  I guess the battery on this was dead and when we turned on the lights, it was causing the problem.  It took us a very long time to make this discovery.  We initially checked all the connections and wires, but this was the one thing that did the trick for us.  Once we put the plug back in all was fine.  Of course, your situation could be completely different. 
rockyrider
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2007-04-14 1:28 PM (#59281 - in reply to #59273)

Extreme Veteran

Here's a shot in the dark (no pun intended) but a lot of wierd things happen on certain year Ford Trucks when the 3rd brake light burns out(the one on the back of cab) Have you checked it yet? You might be lucky and just have a burned out bulb. It has fixed many of electrical gremlins before. 
Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-14 9:53 PM (#59303 - in reply to #59273)

Veteran

2feathers,

Just a couple of possibilties to check out.

Your trouble is not a grounding problem but that the trailer brakes are being fed voltage in some way from the light circuit. Look for a frayed wire in the plug that plugs into the truck from the trailer,this wire could have completly come loose or just a strand or two rubbing the terminal that feeds the brakes. Also , if this is a new instalation,recheck that the wires for the brakes and the lights are not crossed. The next think to check is some controllers have instrument lighting and this may be wired into the brake curcuit.let us know if this don't solve it and I'll try to think of more possibilities.

Ardly

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)