'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What can I do to beef up my 1T Dually to haul lg LQ safely?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-11 11:18 AM
4 replies, 2959 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-04-11 8:47 AM (#59046)
Subject: What can I do to beef up my 1T Dually to haul lg LQ safely?

...besides trade it and buy a bigger truck?

We have a 3h 10' mid tack LQ Sundowner that we have hauled fully loaded for years with F350 Duallys.

We just bought a 2006 3h 12' slide mid tack LQ Sundowner. Even though it is only 3' longer on the floor, it weighs quite a bit more than the one we have, and I would like to do all we can to make sure we can pull it (and stop) safely.

The trailer is upgraded to 10,000 axles and 17.5 wheels. We have the towing pkg on our Dually and new heavy-duty Michelins. We have the interior console/trailer brake control.

My questions... Do I need the following and what would they cost (appx)? 

Airbag suspension, heavy duty leaf springs (was this on my truck as original equip.? - 2003 F-350 with towing pkg), upgraded ball hitch.

I know we spent extra to get a stronger ball hitch, but I want to make sure we have a strong enough one. 

This info and any additl would be great. Thanks!  

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
greyhorse
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-04-11 9:56 AM (#59051 - in reply to #59046)
Subject: RE: What can I do to beef up my 1T Dually to haul lg LQ safely?

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like you should be fine as long as you aren't overweight..... nothing will fix that except a truck that's rated higher. Airbags might make it ride smoother but they don't add any weight carrying ability. Hitch should be fine if it's rated for the trailer weight (it probably is way above). If anything I would make sure the brakes are working good on the trailer, electric/hydraulic or vacuum/hydraulic are both options you can add to the trailer that will give you more stopping power.
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2007-04-11 10:06 AM (#59052 - in reply to #59046)

Expert

Load up and roll it across the scales. That's the only way you will know if you are overloaded, be sure to weigh each axle, trailer axles and steering axle may be OK. Rear axle on your truck may and will be over weight, my guess. What's the model number of your new trailer? 8012 or something like that? What's the GVW of the trailer 21,000# to 24,000#?
HaulinHorses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2007-04-11 10:53 AM (#59054 - in reply to #59046)

Regular

I sell Platinums, so I haul a lot of big trailers.  I have a 2006 Dodge 1 ton dually, and I had the Supersprings installed, plus I have a Cody hitch with the Cody Cushion, which is it's own airbag right on the hitch.  They make the cushion air bags for either the Cody hitch or the B&W hitch.  They sell for around $295 and work great.  I will say that my truck is stiffer with the Supersprings when I don't have a trailer on it.  I had air bag suspension on my last truck, and even though it's more expensive, I think I would go back to that instead of the Supersprings.  I think the difference is that you get side to side stabilization with the Supersprings that you don't get with the air bags.  The rougher ride when empty is the trade off for that. 

OAKRUNFARM
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-04-11 11:18 AM (#59055 - in reply to #59046)

Thank you all so much for the info. This is most helpful.

I think we are just going to be on the edge of safely hauling this trailer with the size truck we have, so I want to be sure to do whatever possible to be as safe as possible.

For the person asking about the model. It is a 2006 8012 Grand Signature 727 7' 8" tall and 8' wide.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)