'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Grazing muzzles

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-29 1:37 PM
6 replies, 3772 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 6:29 AM (#57973)
Subject: Grazing muzzles

Veteran

I am looking for information on grazing muzzles. I have a 16 y.o. mini. Last year she foundered, fortunately my farrier did a great job and she's back to normal now. I don't want to go through that again. I have 5 acres of pasture and use electric fencing, unfortunately, this pony seems oblivious to the fence. I can put her in  a wooden-fenced paddock, but it seems so cruel to keep her away from her buddies. (I know it would be crueler to allow her to founder on the grass again) -So I am thinking about a grazing muzzle. Do these things work? Do they annoy the horses, or chafe?  I looked at one at country supply, but the hole on the bottom seemed so tiny that it couldn't let anything at all in, and would drive my mini nuts!

The other thing I am considering is, keeping her in the small dirt paddock with one of those roller things (I am not sure what they're called) that allows grain to come out slowly. I'd put forage extender pellets in that to keep her busy.

Any information from anyone who's had experience with these things would be appreciated.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-03-29 7:21 AM (#57974 - in reply to #57973)
Subject: RE: Grazing muzzles

Expert

I have used them in the past, after about an hour they don't even act notice they have them on. I had one gelding that would gain 200 lbs. in the spring if you didn't keep him up, used the grazing muzzle and it worked great.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 11:38 AM (#57987 - in reply to #57973)

I love the grazing muzzles. They don’t notice them after a little while and because they are nylon the horse pushes them down and more grass comes in from the sides that are now on the bottom. They are the only thing that has keeped my daughters pony from foundering the last 6yrs. and she is turned out on 10 acres of very lush grass.

I would stay away from the roller feeders due to the fact that as they eat the feed they will ingest dirt, sand, and manure which has those worms that we love so much!Good luck with her.

Edited by Its all about horses 2007-03-29 11:40 AM
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-03-29 12:59 PM (#57993 - in reply to #57973)

Elite Veteran

I've used one for a chronic founder mare for daytime grazing and then brought the mare into a dry lot at night for hay and water intake. Some horses will not drink water with the muzzle on.
barstow
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-29 1:25 PM (#57994 - in reply to #57973)

Veteran

All great information. I was concerned about their structure. I thought they were more rigid, but a nylon one wouldn't be so bad.

Good thought on the water issue. I will have to watch her to see if she drinks with it on. Maybe she could at least spend a few hours out each day "grazing."

Thanks for the responses.
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-29 1:27 PM (#57996 - in reply to #57973)

Elite Veteran

A grazing muzzle works great if you can keep them on. My ponies would work theirs off.  Then you have the risk of them getting hung up with the halter on.  My ponies stay in a dirt lot.  To some it may sound cruel, but this way I can monitor what they get to eat.  Grass hay and 1 cup of oats twice a day.  Hate it for them, but I've never had a pony founder yet.  I do turn them out in an overgrazed pasture about May after the spring grass is gone.  So many good ponies are ruined because of founder.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-29 1:37 PM (#57997 - in reply to #57973)

Expert

If keeping them in a dry lot also keeps them healthy, then I'd not be concerned about being "cruel". I knew a gal who would feed fat horses grain because she felt sorry for them. Lot of good that did the horses. She may have felt better about herself but the horses suffered. If the muzzle doesn't work, lock them up until its safer for the pony to go out.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)