'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll A thin horse that I don't know what to feed.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-23 10:51 AM
23 replies, 6390 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-21 1:05 AM (#55946)
Subject: A thin horse that I don't know what to feed.

I have a 12yr old 15.3hh QH Gelding that I am having a heck of a time keeping weight on. He has had his teeth floated, current on wormers with a worm count done at the vet. We have drawn blood and done a full work up on him and he is healthy. He is out on 5acres of pasture with 15lb of first cutting alfalfa and 10lb first cutting timothy two times a day. He also gets 3 1/2lb Safe Choice peleted feed and 1 cup corn oil and 2oz-weight gain supplement. He has free choice to salt and water and has a very heavy-duty blanket along with shelter and friends. I only got the horse last spring so I have never had him throw the winter but I am getting at my wits end. He is very thin and you can see his ribs along with his backbone. He is happy and runs with the other horses. Everyone else is ready for a diet. Any Ideas as to what to feed or look for would be great.

Edited by Its all about horses 2007-02-21 1:08 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
acy
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 4:59 AM (#55949 - in reply to #55946)
Subject: RE: A thin horse that I don't know what to feed.

Extreme Veteran

It's very frustrating getting wt. on a horse sometimes.  do you know anything of his prev. history?  sounds as if you're doing everything you should do.  have you had him scoped for ulcers?  what is your deworming program?   even if a fecal check is neg. it dosn't mean there are no worms.. they'll shed eggs at different times so sometimes you won't see them under the microscope.  is he very active and running it off? how old is he?  have you tried beet pulp mixed in w/ his feed?  does he drink enough water this time of year? stupid question but do you know if he is actually eating the hay/grain or is another horse pushing him away?

one of my endur. horses was always thin when we competed- like for about 11 years.  he's now 20 and FAT, but we also moved, changed hay,and he's not competing anymore so several factors going on there. 

I'd have to go back and reread your post but have you had his teeth checked by a very good dentist?  what kind of bloodwork did your vet do? reg. CBC/profile or that plus thyroid check?  you might also consider checking for selinium  or other vitamin deficency.   good luck!

notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-21 6:23 AM (#55951 - in reply to #55946)

Veteran

I would recommend a probiotic supplement like Ration Plus.  A friend of mine used it for an orphaned filly a few years ago and the filly made rapid improvement with it.  It simply helps the horse utilize what you are feeding more efficiently.  Also, if you have not dewormed for tapeworms with a praziquantal dewormer (Combo Care, Zimectrin Gold, etc.), i would do that.  Tapeworm isn't testable in the fecal count.  When you did the blood work did they test for thyroid disease? 
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 6:35 AM (#55953 - in reply to #55946)

Elite Veteran

I agree, it will drive you nuts with a thin horse and you are working really hard to combat the thinness.  Tapeworms can be a clandestine enemy, they hide, do lots of damage and are a pain to uncover so you know they are there.

1. Do a five day dewormer "power pack" just to make sure about the worms.

2. Do a tape worm treatment a couple of weeks later.

3. The beetpulp/corn oil combo at feed time does a world of good in a lot of areas for nutrition. I'm a firm believer in beetpulp. I strongly suggest the pelletized version from Blue Seal if you have a choice.

4. Find an experienced livestock nutritionalist through your feed dealer and consult with them.  Once again, Blue Seal Feeds has been a great ali for me when I have had feed problems.

5. PM H. Conley and ask him about your problem.  He ALWAYS comes up with very technical and exprienced advice on nutrition problems with horses. I'd bet money he comes up with something we haven't thought of yet!

Happy trails and keep us posted on how things are going.

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2007-02-21 6:53 AM (#55954 - in reply to #55953)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Deranger about the power pack dewormer.   It worked on our horse that always was dropping weight.  Someone else had mentioned ulcers........that's a real possibility too.

just my 2 cents.....

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-21 10:44 AM (#55974 - in reply to #55946)

The frustrating thing is I have done everything you have suggested. He is on a six-week wormer rotation with the last one of Zemectrin Gold. At the beginning of winter I put all the horses on a five-day vet recommended wormer to help give them the best start in the winter. He is the boss horse in the field and I can see the water from the house and I see him drinking all the time. He is not overly active but he is not lethargic. I will have to see if the vet did a thyroid test, as I don't know. I’ll try the beat pulp with him although I am a little leery about it. I had horse colic due to it. And yes I soaked it and did all the right things. I have been managing horses for the past 6yrs and have been working with them since I was 10yrs old but I never learn it all and am always willing to ask for help. He did have an ulsur in the fall but that healed up and we cheeked for it and he is still healthy. Its hard when he looks like this and yet when his rider comes out to groom him he runs to the gate and is so happy to see her. (Even thou I own him I think he loves her more. That’s fine she needs something to love. Only one in the family with the horse bug!) Thanks for everything I will keep you posted.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 11:30 AM (#55981 - in reply to #55946)

Expert

Try adding some calf mana into the safechoice or switch him to a Sr feed for a bit.  I've got an old girl that has trouble holding her weight when it is cold out, even with her blanket, and that is what helps her.  The calf mana has directions on the back for horses.  I feed 14lbs of Sr feed a day, but your guy is eating hay.  Right?  So he wouldn't need anywhere near that much.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 4:30 PM (#56010 - in reply to #55946)

Terri's suggestion on the calf manna is excellent as well as the Senior Feed.  The Senior feeds also have the vitamin pak.  You might also want to check him for anemia.
Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-02-21 5:48 PM (#56013 - in reply to #55946)

Veteran

WARNING! Do not feed any feed designed for cattle to horses. Some cattle additives are deadly to horses and even if calf manna does not contain them the danger of it being contaminated with trace amounts are high. Is this horse doing any work right now?. Before upping any other supplements the amount of hay you are feeding may be marginal for this horse.Slowly add forage to his diet. My old quarter horse even under little to no work will go through about 40lbs. by himself this time of year and he is well vetted as yours is.Rich.
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 6:34 PM (#56015 - in reply to #55946)

Veteran

I have to agree with Rich about that Calf Manna.....I have used it on calves with great results but my vet also warned me off of any feed that is formulated for cattle.  If others have had good results with it then more power to you. 

I also agree with deringer about the beet pulp, I am a firm believer in it also, I do add corn or veg. oil with mine too.  I have a hard time believing you had a horse colic on beet pulp......because it is so easily digestable and adds a lot of moisture (when soaked)into the gut that is usually helps prevent colic.

The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been suggested is some internal problem such as a tumor or some degenerative disorder that has not yet been diagnosed.  With the amount and quality of foodstuff your horse is getting, providing "he" is getting it and not the other horses, he should be fat and sassy.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-21 8:25 PM (#56022 - in reply to #55946)

Expert

The calf mana was recomended by my vet for the high protien.  Contamination between feeds can occur at any time if the feeds (horse and cattle) are milled at the same plant.  All it takes is someone not cleaning a blade or belt.  All the big name feeds make horse/cow/swine feed so you can buy a feed designed for horses and get a contaminated bag.  I feel safe as long as I use a reputable brand and not a generic/unheard of company.
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-22 12:24 AM (#56030 - in reply to #55946)

Thanks for all the great ideas. I have upped his hay ration by just throwing a bale of grass hay at him any time he doesn’t have any more food in front of him. I work from home and do allot of training and lessons so I am able to watch my horses. He is the biggest brat to the others when it comes to his food. He eats it all. I talked to my vet today and because the horse is not loosing any more weight and is slowly putting some back on he suggested that we keep up with what we are doing and see what happens in the spring. Maybe he is depressed like me and wants the warmer weather to come. I also called the woman I got him from and she told me that he had an extensive show career from yearling to when he was 6 and spent all his time in a stall. He then was out to pasture but every winter his owner would board him at some barn. He has a shelter but he never uses it but I do wonder if maybe the stalling affected him in some way. I don't know and I don’t want everyone jumping at me saying stalling is a great thing, I agree I just prefer my horses to live as natural as possible. In Montana that can be difficult some times, so we blanked them.

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2007-02-22 5:34 AM (#56038 - in reply to #56030)

Elite Veteran

One other suggestion I'd like to throw out there is keeping him separate from the other horses for about a week or just a few days.  Not away from them, but sort of in his own area with a fence separating them.  This is where it gets a little nutty, but I'd be interested in how much manure he's generating and what it looks like?  You know what you are putting in, but do you really know what's coming out?  I'm always looking at all 4 of my horse's manure.  I can do that since they are tied in the aisle of the barn while they are eating and any poop in the aisle is right behind them so I can easily check to see if they are digesting what I feed them.  Just a thought to see if one more thing might help solve the mystery.

Happy trails.

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-22 11:52 AM (#56057 - in reply to #55946)

Good idea about the manure. My vet said the same thing. He has been isolated now for 24hrs. and he has very good manure. It is well digested and it has a good look to it. He is drinking well. I put the weight tape on him and he has put on 20lb in the past 5 days. We must be on the right track. Also something interesting. I had asked my husband to refill the corn oil container and he accidentally put olive oil in it. I called the vet and he said it wouldn’t hurt him. He has had the oil for 5 days so maybe something in it is what he needed. Of course it has to be the very nice pure stuff that is expensive but oh well, this guy is worth it.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-02-22 3:18 PM (#56066 - in reply to #55946)

Expert

Adding forage ( free choice)is a very good idea as horse simply digrest forages better than grains. Also- perhaps running about on 5 acres is burning up the calories he is taking in.
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-02-22 6:03 PM (#56080 - in reply to #55946)

Extreme Veteran

I know there will be a few people who frequent this site that will chuckle, because they have all heard me get upon my soapbox and preach about feeding horses in cold weather. But this year has been colder than normal, and my horses always has very good condition on them going into winter. Anyway thur the 6 1/2 weeks of frigid temps near zero or subzero, my horses lost about 50-75#, I regret I didn't start graining them till about 3 weeks into the cold, because I couldn't get caught up to their needs. I don't think this hurt them, maybe they had some discomfort at times, but they are looking better and seem more content now it's warmer. I see them relaxing more and enjoying life again. This is one of life's lessons learned again.
notfromtexas
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-02-22 7:06 PM (#56090 - in reply to #56080)

Veteran

Yes, it got down to 18 one night here in North Texas, I think my fat horse lost a pound...chuckle.  It was 80 today and he still has all his winter fur so he was a bit warm!  So olive oil is ok for horses...that would be a bit of an expense but I'm curious if that is why he's gained some weight.  Anyone else tried olive as opposed to plain old veggie?
lively
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2007-02-23 4:46 AM (#56107 - in reply to #55946)

Regular

Glad to hear he is picking up his weight a bit. I have used mare and foal manna as well to help get some weight up on  my frst horse. Had a heck of a time keeping weight on the booger.
go go
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-25 9:56 AM (#56256 - in reply to #55946)

The worming program for 3-5 days is always good to try with a horse that is having weight or there hair just looks rough. I have a horse that I raised. Sent her off when she was 4 and she was out where alot of colts had been and picked up some worms that normaly only colts would carry. she was having spells of colic until we finally found the worms. They didn't always show up when we checked her until this one time. I wormed her with pancur of safeguard something mild for 3 days, put her on strogid-C for a year and ever since then she has been fine. My old horse I noticed in the last couple of years has trouble with his weight alittle only during the winter and I always put him on Equine Senior and he's as round as he can be. it doesn't take that much and becasue it's a pelleted feed he is able to digest it better then whole grain feeds. You might talk to your feed store or your vet about that option. Good luck
gcldixiegirl
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 1:43 PM (#56405 - in reply to #55946)

I didn't have time to ready everyones replies so I may be giving some advice you have already received.  If so, Sorry!!  I had a 15.3 paint gelding that came back from the trainers looking like he was ready for the grave.  We were having a terrible time getting weight back on him.  Finally we started him on Strongid 2x daily wormer and Souce WT and he immediatley started picking up the weight.  Now he is an acceptable weight and holding.  Good Luck!!
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 2:32 PM (#56415 - in reply to #55946)

Thanks for the Info. I have been giving him Souce WT and it has helped. Unfortunately I can’t afford to do the daily wormier. I have 8 Horses with different dietary needs and it is just not easy for me. I have continued with the Olive Oil and he is doing really well. He is up 85lb. all of a sudden and gaining. I am so happy and relieved.

tc_appy
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-03-22 2:40 PM (#57512 - in reply to #56415)

Hello,

I have been reading your posts from the start and thought I would put my 2 cents in.  I have a 2002 ApHC mare that I got when she was 6 months old, wormed her faithfully every 2-3 months, rotating the chemicals of wormers, well in the summer of 2005 she came down with a bad case of round worms.  Mind you I had owned her for 3 years at this point.  Heavily paste wormered her and seen they were gone in 2 weeks, less than 6 months later in mid-winter, she had them again, my vet had me paste worm her then put her on Strongid Daily wormer for 1 month, that worked for a while but again the spring of 2006, she had the roundworms again.  This time I used the Daily wormer until the bucket was gone approximately 2-3 months and it worked.  My vet told me not to go over 3 months, due to a possible immunity build up.  I  put my weanlings on it after 3 months last year and they did better than the ones I had previously raised.  I believe it does work.  Also using Probiotics will help with a horse gain better.  Good Protien (14% or better) and Fats (Rice Bran) are couple things I also use.  Food for Thought.

AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-23 7:28 AM (#57554 - in reply to #55946)

Veteran

Some of this is repeats, but: here goes anyway.  Whether you power packed him last fall or not, I would do it again.  Unless your vet is scoping the horse, he can't say the ulcers are gone - & even if he did scope, they can only detect ONE kind.  During & after the power packing, I would put him on a good probiotic.  Then start him on one of the GOOD herbal/homeopathic ulcer treatments.  For feed, I would definitely give plenty of soaked beet pulp, rolled barley, black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS - & ONLY the black oil, NO striped), & flax seed. & free choice loose minerals.  You can't get better than this combo.  Also, on the "float" - who did this?  Was it just a typical vet float???  I would guess this horse has big dental issues that the average vet is NOT knowledgeble about, going to find OR knows how to fix.  And the majority of them that "think" they can, get in there w/the wild power towels (oh yeah, the reciprocating ones are the "best" - NOT.).  Where in MT are you??  We have one of the top DENTIST in the country that comes up to the NW area & I bet he'd find a bunch going on in that horse's mouth.  JMHO

Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-23 10:51 AM (#57569 - in reply to #55946)

Thanks for all the advice. I am happy to report that he has gained all his weight back. I didn't have to change allot in his feed. We just added that Olive Oil and he picked right up. Back to his big beautiful Black self. We also have some green grass starting to show and he is enjoying that, as are all the others.

The vet I had do his teeth is a certified Horse Dentist. He uses to specialize in it and then moved into veterinary all the way. He did not use the power tool but did it by hand. I feel very confident that his teeth are in great shape. Thanks for the advice anyway.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)