'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
lining trailer mats with shavings to prevent horses slipping on wet/frozen trailer mats

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-10 11:27 AM
12 replies, 5378 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 9:17 PM (#56850)
Subject: lining trailer mats with shavings to prevent horses slipping on wet/frozen trailer mats

Regular

Here is another question that I have for anyone who cares to share advice. Specifically, is it a good idea to put shavings in the trailer so that it isn't as slippery? It is winter out here and if the rubber trailer mats get wet and then freeze while we are in the arena the horses tend to slip around on them especially when loading in. I'm wondering if there some utility in putting down some shavings. There are no open drafts so the shavings wouldn't blow around. What do others in winter climates do to make those mats less slippery?

Thanks,

J

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Its all about horses
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-07 9:56 PM (#56852 - in reply to #56850)
Subject: RE: lining trailer mats with shavings to prevent horses slipping on wet/frozen trailer mats

I use shavings year round. I find they do not fly around when traveling and they are not dusty. I clean the trailer after each use and it stays nice. In the summer before a long trip I will wet the shavings down. This helps keep the floor cool with the road heat and adds a little extra moisture to the air. I have done this for over 7yrs and have never had a problem. I hauled a horse all the way to Kentucky using the wet shavings and my horse arrived so much happier than some other horses we were traveling with. Stay away from straw as the horse can slip on it when keeping their balance in the trailer.

Too L Ranch
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2007-03-07 10:26 PM (#56854 - in reply to #56850)
Subject: RE: lining trailer mats with shavings to prevent horses slipping on wet/frozen trailer mats

Regular

We use shavings year 'round. Reason being: aluminum floor in trailer. In past, 1st aluminum floored trailer, didn't use shavings. Even though the trailer was washed every haul, ended up replacing the floor, within a couple of years, due to urine eating pin holes in floor. Won't make that mistake again! Shavings don't blow around and we've never had a flooring problem since.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 7:33 AM (#56860 - in reply to #56850)

Expert

Yes, use some sort of bedding. Straw, shavings, sawdust...just something to soak up the urine. keep it simple........
Rostrenga
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-03-08 10:25 AM (#56869 - in reply to #56850)

Veteran

I use shaving year around, would not travel without them
trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-08 12:06 PM (#56882 - in reply to #56850)

Regular

THanks to everyone for the responses. I will definitely use shavings from now on (and not straw-that is good to know).

Cheers,

J

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 2:13 PM (#56885 - in reply to #56850)

Expert

There is no reason not to use straw. I use it all the time. Works fine.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-08 2:13 PM (#56886 - in reply to #56850)

Expert

There is no reason not to use straw. I use it all the time. Works fine.
horsin around
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 12:44 AM (#56907 - in reply to #56850)

Extreme Veteran

I like using Woody Pet Product which is the pellet bedding with shaving too when traveling a long distance.  It takes away the ammonia smell and gives my picky guy something to urinate on.  He's a horse the won't urinate on the trail and has to find a nice patch of weeds to urniate on.   Even traveling a short distance, I always have something for the horses to help with the splatter.
rider3
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 9:47 AM (#56916 - in reply to #56907)

Veteran

Good to know about the pellets as I worried they may be slippery until broken down!  I never used shavings in my straight load, never had a problem except when they would step in manure backing out which essentially greased their feet- providing a nice long slide down the ramp! I doubt shavings would help with this. 

Are you referring to the ramp becoming slippery?  If yes try nailing wood strips lengthwise.  I got rid of my ramp before I tried this but have heard it works well as it gives the horses something to 'catch'.  Tried the shavings and they really didn't help much.  No type of mat on the ramp will eliminate slipping, nature of the beast.  I haul quite a bit through all types of weather- feel your pain! 

horseygurl101
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-03-09 10:24 AM (#56919 - in reply to #56850)

Another thing you could use is peat moss (that you use in the garden) and then a layer of shavings
AbbyB
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2007-03-09 1:24 PM (#56924 - in reply to #56850)

Veteran

I agree - I would also use shavings!  They'll cushion the ride some & help so you don't have anyone going down due to slippery conditions.
trailer/truck newbie
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-03-10 11:27 AM (#56949 - in reply to #56850)

Regular

The shavings worked great. I put down a really deep layer and brought a manure fork and garbage bag along. One horse peed in the trailer and it was so easy to clean up. No ammonia smell, and no slippery trailer mats. I don't have a ramp, but my friend commented that I should install a rubber bumper as horses can cut themselves on the metal bumper of the step up. I will look into that. I will also pass along the tip about lining the wooden strips on the ramps as several people in our club have ramps and they do get slippery especially in the winter.

Happy trailering!

J

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World