'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
LaCygne Lake Kansas

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2011-05-28 10:36 PM
2 replies, 4894 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

CTRider
Reg. Sep 2009
Posted 2011-05-25 3:52 PM (#134352)
Subject: LaCygne Lake Kansas

Extreme Veteran

I have entered a competition at this location next month. Tammy I see you live there. Can I get some information on terrain, footing, trails, rocks, and what the camp and parking is like. Thanks.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
CTR Rider
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2011-05-27 9:59 PM (#134391 - in reply to #134352)
Subject: RE: LaCygne Lake Kansas

Veteran

Patti,
I have competed there many times. Trails consist of mostly wooded trails, rocky no big hills to speak of. Camp is primitive, open field, little shade. No running water, is beside the lake. Ticks here are the worst of any place I have ever ridden. The lake serves as a cooling for the power plant, one theory is that the lake is warmer, thus the ticks are worse... don't know if that can be, but they are AWFUL. Usually plenty of places along the lake to get to water and stream crossings. Trails will be boggy in spots if there has been lots of rain.
Becki
ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2011-05-28 10:36 PM (#134405 - in reply to #134352)
Subject: RE: LaCygne Lake Kansas

Elite Veteran

Well the ticks aren't as bad as they used to be since the past two years the park has burned a lot of the vegetation within the woods. I do ride here throughout the summer, and haven't experienced the onslaught of the ticks as in years past. That is not to say you won't get a few. Just take the normal precautions for you and your horse. I'd use a pour on treatment prior to your ride if you have a sensative horse to insect bites.

The reason why for the higher than normal tick population is the abdundance of deer. It is not uncommon to see 20-30 head of deer on a ride. And at night if you drive around the park, they are thick like cattle. So be very careful at dusk it you leave the park to go eat etc.

Now as far as the trails, they haven't been maintained in a LONG time. Overgrowth of vegetation and footing is in fair condition. It will be very boggy if we don't get some warm dry weather soon. Hopefully the trails will be marked for you so you can find your way around. And who ever is putting on the ride needs to mark dangerous areas like low to the ground barbwire that can border some of the trails. I know where it is, but new folks will not see it and could get into trouble. There are some rocky areas, but not extreme.

I would bring a porta-potty with me as the campground pit toilet is not maintained.... it is gross! The camping area is just a large field bordered by the lake and a some hedge trees. Because it is next to the lake, mosquitos will be a nuisance too. I would rate this camp as very primitive - no potable water or electricity.

Starting in June the stinging nettles become abundant. so stay on the trail. Not trying to deter you from coming, but this park is not groomed like other Kansas parks you may have ridden. It is county owned, not state owned so it does not get the maintenace and care due to lack of funding. Has your trail committee person been to La Cygne Lake in awhile? If not, it will need some flagging and clearing of limbs and branches prior to the ride.

There is a restaurant about 3 miles from the camp on 152 and 69 Hwy. Or you can drive into Louisburg, KS (16 miles) and enjoy Pizza Hut, Mexican (2 choices), McDonalds, Burger King, Subway and Mr. Goodcents, Chinese, a new tavern, and Miss B's. Miss B's has pretty good homestyle meals. I do not care for Timber Creek that is a bar/restaurant as it needs a good cleaning and the staff is rude.

There is a Dollar General, Orchelins Farm Store and Price Chopper Grocery store too. The Closest Wal-mart is in Paola, KS or Stanley, KS at 159th and Metcalf. Stanley, KS is easier to get to even though it is farther as you can take 69 Hwy to the 175th st. exit and go east to Metcalf, then North to 159th and Metcalf.

Too bad your ride isn't at Hillsdale Lake. I believe you would have a much better experince at this location. Nice campground with water and electric, some sites have a pen, and the bathrooms are clean. Trails are well groomed too.

Hope you find some of this info helpful. Let me know if you need anything else.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)