'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
The law

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-03-10 9:26 AM
8 replies, 4840 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-25 1:02 PM (#52848)
Subject: The law

Veteran

So out enjoying yesterdays weather, a few soft spots but OK. Having a nice ride, some trots and short canters. Wifes horse is a little young yet and decided to try her so she takes him off about 50 yards for some extra curricular. I enjoy the scenery and old quarter horse is perfectly happy to stand still. Well hear a dog barking and look up to see her take a spill as some mongrel chases her horse. Horse runs down to me, I gather him up and I hear someone whistle for the dog. She gets up, unscathed fortunatly, makes her way down to us. I don't see dog or other rider. She tells me rider whistled for the dog and I see them slinking away up the trail. After seeing she is OK I give chase to lend a piece of mind. As I catch up and am peeved enough to knock him off a la Man from Snowy River style ( old ranch horse has no problem barreling into things) nearly trampling his mutt ( again no problem for old reliable) I pull up right next to find this is some sort of " officer". Now this makes it worse and I question why an " officer" would slink away. He says he saw her get up and saw me and decided not to spook us anymore. Well I lent a good piece of mind but began to question myself inside realizing this was no typical cop not having any ID other than some " special police" emblem and a duty belt complete with gun. I would recognize the local forces. So I cut it off and backed off but wonder what yahoo local mall guard gets off on riding with his gun and pseudo uniform. Think I'll notify the local park police tomorrow and see if they had anyone out that day or if this is some yokel. Rich.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
N2ridin
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-25 4:39 PM (#52851 - in reply to #52848)
Subject: RE: The law

Elite Veteran

Yikes!  Your lucky the asshole didn't shoot you.  I'd contact the authorities.  Sounds BOGUS to me!
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-12-25 4:43 PM (#52852 - in reply to #52848)

Elite Veteran

You SHOULD contact the park police.  Here anyway you must keep a dog on leash in all parks.  It sounds suspect to me.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-12-25 7:40 PM (#52858 - in reply to #52848)

Urge you all to report to park authorities at least.  Sounds very fortunate that "alleged cop" saw you and decided to go away, but what about the next rider downed by "alleged cop"................scary.......Please report incident.
siseley
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-12-25 9:30 PM (#52861 - in reply to #52848)

Extreme Veteran

Yep!

As someone in law enforcement, my wife has been known to really let these yokels know that they can be prosecuted for a FELONY. As when using that uniform, they are "Under Color of Authority", and just wearing the weapon, they are in a very big tub of hot water if a REAL authority wants to make the beef.  All in all, it's best to report the incident, and give the real police a head start.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-12-26 3:09 PM (#52873 - in reply to #52848)

Veteran

Spoke with the park manager today who was very nice and said she would contact the police that patrol as she is on good terms with some of the older officers. She said there are some volunteers that help patrol but they are NOT to be armed.Also she said this was very poor etiquette for the ( supposed) officer who should have identified himself and offered assistance before leaving. She said I would hear back from her on the matter by the end of the week. I hope this person is legit and just a greenhorn that made a bad call instead of owning up. I'll keep everyone updated. Rich
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-12-27 8:52 PM (#52938 - in reply to #52848)

Elite Veteran

Sounds like a person who may be looking to take advantage of a person he could convince to go with him and maybe never show up again.I myself would check on someone who got tossed especialy if it was my dog that caused it.

There are a lot of weird people out there just like on e bay...looking for a easy prey.Ya gotta be aware of everything everywhere these days.

Rich M.
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2007-03-09 11:42 AM (#56921 - in reply to #52848)

Veteran

Update !. This was a mounted officer. The park manager was very helpful. Through her I contacted the Lieutenant of the mounted officers and lodged a complaint. He investigated the matter and the offending officer did not deny the incident and his version mirrored my report. Based on his honesty I did not lodge a formal complaint and the officer received a written reprimand for his employee file. It's comforting to know these officers are about and I did not wish for his job to be compromised. End result no harm done and it was a learning lesson and hopefully he will use better judgement in the future. Everyone makes mistakes.I'm content to let it go at that. This time. Rich.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2007-03-10 9:26 AM (#56946 - in reply to #52848)

Rich

Thanks for the update.....never hurts to be safe rather than sorry.  Have  safe and fun riding this year, and if you all are heading to TN, give us a shout.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)