'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
2007 Toyota Tundra, finally a full size, impressive

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-02-28 4:28 PM
22 replies, 5409 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-27 8:29 PM (#54586)
Subject: 2007 Toyota Tundra, finally a full size, impressive

Elite Veteran

My all new Tundra review is on the home page here at http://horsetrailerworld.com/Home/contribute/Homepage/MrTruck1-25-07Toyota/tundra.asp
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-28 6:35 AM (#54591 - in reply to #54586)
Subject: RE: 2007 Toyota Tundra, finally a full size, impressive

Veteran

Thanks - Great Review.  I appreciate all the pictures.  I read it, and most of the other reviews out on the web.  It is an impressive truck.  Right now, my choice is down to the Chevy - But I'll be driving one of these next week. 

Can you offer an opinion on something?  After reading the reviews, and seeing the specs on several of the "1/2 ton" trucks out there... When is a half-ton no longer a half-ton?  The light models of the new Silverado and Tundra can both be equipped to carry well in excess of a 1/2 ton (just over a ton actually).  Both can be equipped to pull over 10,000 lbs. 

It seems to me that the manufacturers ought to adjust their marketing and come up with another classification system.  At least in the case of the Toyota, it really isn't a 1/2 ton truck.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-01-28 5:33 PM (#54614 - in reply to #54586)

Expert

Seems price wise its in the class of  domistic diesels.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-28 8:03 PM (#54622 - in reply to #54586)

Elite Veteran

Thanks, yeah, the 1/2, 3/4 ton isn't based on weight anymore. Calling them Class 1, 2, 3, etc doesn't help much either. Several of the 1/2 tons have the capacity of older 3/4 tons. But still 1/2 tons have semi-floating axles and  HD 3/4 ton's and larger have full floating axles supporting weight on the axle housing not the axle shaft. So HD trucks with FF axles can carry loads daily. That's the weak spot on the 1/2 ton, the rear axle.

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 7:19 AM (#54718 - in reply to #54586)

Expert

My idea of impressive would be an all American made truck, with profits staying in America.

My ideas of impressive doesn't include a Japanese Company taking over two of the big three with sights set on the third.

I was impressed when Americans were willing to work hard, and produce the most impressive products.

I am living in the past, and will continue to do so, don't try to convince me that a Japanese truck is Impressive.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 10:47 AM (#54728 - in reply to #54586)

Extreme Veteran

Good God....That thing was pricey.  They want 41,000 dollars for a CrewMax, 5.7, and 6speed auto. NO THANKS. I can buy a Diesel 1 Ton Dually for cheaper than that and do three times the work.  They can forget it!!! Hate to see the diesel price if that ever comes about.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-30 11:16 AM (#54729 - in reply to #54586)

Elite Veteran

Not to get into an argument, I buy American when ever possible. Go through the parts department of your local Dodge, GM or Ford store and count the parts labeled "made in China". All your brake rotors, calipers, plastic connections, etc. come from China, not Japan or even Mexico. All three have major factories in Mexico for trucks. This year the big three announced more of the components coming from China to build cars and trucks. Dodge just made a deal with a Chinese car company to sell the Chinese cars at Dodge dealerships.

4 all new trucks where introduced this model year, 07/08. And of the 4 new trucks the Toyota impressed me the most. In 2000 the Toyota T100 was the worst of the lot. I'm rooting for the American Truck Companies, I want them to succeed. I bought an American truck last year. But that has nothing to do with judging a truck.

Back in the seventies, when I was in high school. They lowered the miles per hour to 55 a month before I got my drivers license. We drove boats that got terrible gas mileage, the "oil crisis" changed all that and Japanese car manufactures showed car companies how to improve. I would have thought they learned from that, but the big three thought they monopolized the truck market, so the dragged their feet. Just competing with each other.

Competition makes the world improve, embrace it. Change happens by forces larger than the individual. Because of this Tundra, Ford, Dodge and GM trucks will improve much faster just as they did in the late eighties with cars. I know how much time I spend with my trucks in the shop. Ask a Toyota owner when their truck was in the shop last. Do I hear an amen?

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2007-01-30 12:10 PM (#54731 - in reply to #54586)

Expert

No Amen's here, I find it to be a very sad day because what you say is true.

I just hope we wake up sooner rather than later and start to right this ship.

Japanese auto makers don't have to spend one penny in retired worker benefits, General Motors is $1,100 per car.

The labor unions and fat cat top level managment are getting rich while the working folks are carrying the load.

It will probley take a complete overhaul(bankruptcy) of the US auto industry to get in back on track.

I, or you will not be alive to see this change.

I thank god every day that I am employed by a company that sells billions of dollars worth of equipment a year, manufactures 80% of it in house and 96.5% manufactured in the US. Is still a privately held company where the owners get up and go to work every day. Don't believe me, go to Crown Equipment Company in New Breman Oh. and visit with the Dickie family at the local restaurant for breakfast.

As I said earlier I am living in the past, don't try to convince me of anything different.

Edited by HWBar 2007-01-30 12:12 PM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-01-30 12:19 PM (#54732 - in reply to #54729)

Veteran

Actually you'll get an Amen from me... of all 4 (Chevy, Dodge, Ford, Toyota) I'll bet the Toyota has one of the highest, if not the highest American parts content.  And by American, I mean USA, not Canada, and not Mexico. Personally I don't know why Dodge is even included in a conversation involving "American" vehicles - Daimler bought them out years ago - That is a German Truck now.

Regarding Toyotas in the shop - I'm sure they've made some bad ones, but mine just turned 121,000 miles today - Never had a breakdown, Never replaced anything other than the usual fluids and brakes.  I'm still on the original exhaust, and it looks like it has a long way to go.  It's a great vehicle. 

With all that said, this is an emotional topic, and I know some folks get heated about it.  But the fact is the truly "American" car company went by the wayside a long time ago - and thank goodness, if they didn't we wouldn't have any of them here today.  Competition baby - it keeps everybody on their toes.

shadytrake
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-26 9:11 PM (#56353 - in reply to #54586)

New User

I just read the review in Car & Driver mag this weekend and the Toyota ranked 3rd overall.

BUT, and this is a big but in my opinion, the Tundra smoked the competition in towing (10,300 lbs as tested) and powertrain.

Nissan came in 2nd but ranked last in towing (2nd place was really due to lowest price in my opinion).

Chevy Silverado came in 1st by 14 points.

Regarding the made in America comments, all I can say is that Toyota is bringing a new plant to Tupelo, MS; Marion, AR; or Chattanooga, TN (they haven't decided yet). Folks around Memphis, TN are lobbying for Tunica or Marion as both cities are close to Memphis.

FYI, I have a 2000 Tundra V8 4x4 with 148,000 miles on it. I have towed a 2 horse bumper pull to/from Denver, CO and a 3 horse steel gooseneck locally. All I can say is "Amen." It has never been in the shop for anything other than brakes, tires, and the installation of the gooseneck hitch.

The only issue I have is that the brake system in this 2000 model year was not hefty enough for a lot of towing so the brakes have to be changed more often. However, Toyota listened to their customers and redesigned the brake system as evidenced in the review and in their advertisements.

Since mine is holding up so well and I need a trailer, I can't justify a new truck purchase at this time. But you can bet that my next one will probably be another Toyota. I am waiting patiently for the Institute for Highway Safety review as that is always a factor when I purchase.

Edited to add...they just announced it. The new Toyota plant will be in Tupelo, MS and will bring 2000 jobs to the area.

Edited by shadytrake 2007-02-26 10:13 PM
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 7:54 AM (#56368 - in reply to #56353)

Veteran

I read the C&D review last evening - what a joke.  I need to re-read it, but in my view - they don't know how to evaluate anything other than $40k and up cars.  The test had 2 "seasoned" truck users as observers, yet when the evaluations rolled on it became apparent that the magazine staff used some mythological yardstick to compare what are in reality work/homeowner trucks.   

Overall I can't find fault with some of their findings - but if you read their description of the Nissan it was less than stellar, and had a puny bed... so how does that translate to a #2 finish - because it was fun to drive... gimme a break. 

I'm looking at this class of truck for my next purchase - and I had to agree that as a work vehicle the Ford is in last place - they simply need to get up to the competition in regards to power and tranny - the Tow and Bed capacity ratings for the F150 are wildly optimistic.  It is the least powerful of the bunch yet it had extremely high tow rating, and it's cargo capacity is, if properly equipped in excess of 3000lbs - no way.  In reality the suspension may hold it - but with that engine you'd be clogging up the slow lane with your flashers on...

I also agreed with some of their assessment of the Dodge - it's interior isn't the best looking - but this is a truck afterall, and it needs to be able to work.  And the Ram can - I would have put the Ram up to the top 3 - it's a good driving vehicle and can get the job done.

Now let's talk about an ugly interior - Nissan - Phew that is one butt ugly interior - but it's a truck... as a truck it has a low payload capacity, but a decent tow rating... odd specs - I dont' know how they arrived at that setup with the small bed - overall I think it's a decent driver, and a good homeowner truck - but I can't see it being number 2 in the test.

For me, that left Chevy and Toyota - I've driven both - actually I've driven all these trucks recently while I've been shopping.  Those are my #1 and #2 trucks.  Both are great drivers - and I think either one would get the job done.  Toyota is clearly the more powerful, and I think, more "over engineered" than the Chevy is.  But for my purposes I don't really need the ultimate in power or bed capacity... but it's nice to have.  I"d be happy with the Chevy, Dodge, or Toyota.  I am a bit biased towards Toyota since I have a 2003 4Runner with over 123,000 miles on it and it's been nearly flawless. 

I have to say - as I get older I begin to realize we all look at these things "through our own set of glasses".  We all have different tastes and needs.  Someone else could look at all of these trucks and decide the Ford is their best choice.  Who knows - I'm no longer comfortable with these tests that claim one is "Best".  There really is no such thing as a "best" truck - just the one that fits our own particular needs the best.

Edited by SHMANN 2007-02-27 7:57 AM
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 11:50 AM (#56384 - in reply to #54586)

Elite Veteran

Good point, you do have to judge trucks by how you use them. A truck I might think is the best may not be the best choice for someone else. One of the reasons I have not owned a truck in seven years, even though 3 new trucks are parked outside. When someone finds out what truck I owned they would think it's the best truck. Not true, the truck I bought last year was for an article and to test aftermarket products, but isn't the truck I would choose for someone else and not the configuration.

Can you imagine trying to judge 150 horse trailer brands? There could be 10 rated the "Best" there could be 50 rated "Excellent" and only 10 rated "Poor". It's all just part of your research. Still surprises me that folks well buy a truck based on what the salesperson says. They were selling cell phones last week.

CatB
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 12:31 PM (#56392 - in reply to #54586)

On a side note, my husband just read in Motor Trend magazine last week that the Japanese had wanted to raise the Tundra price even more, to make up for the $200-plus million dollar over-run in building the Texas plant. Yikes! We bought an '07 Chevy (Classic) 2500HD in January, to replace our '97 1/2 ton Silverado, and are extremely pleased with it. The added tow mode is a great feature.
SHMANN
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 12:38 PM (#56395 - in reply to #56392)

Veteran

Congrats on your new truck - The Chevy 2500 sure is a nice driving vehicle, and a towing monster to boot.

Good Luck with it,

Steve

racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 6:05 PM (#56429 - in reply to #54732)

Veteran

My car, on loan to my wife till we find her a truck:

2001 Chevy Impala LS.  55,000 miles.

5,000 miles: new intermediate steering shaft, turned rotors due to rough stops

10,000 miles: rotors warped again

40,000 miles: transmission failure

41,000 miles: catalytic converter failure

48,000 miles: front/left hub assembly failure; tie rod ends needed replacement; full brake job required (fixed warped rotors again)

Would you buy another GM product?  My wife's '00 Silverado was traded on my '06 Ram 3500 diesel last year because at 120,000 miles it used LOTS of oil, had coolant in the oil, all the plastic parts were falling off (tailgate trim, side mirror inserts), turn signal relay clicked all the time, dash squeaked madly, seats had no padding anymore, and the carpet was faded from black to gray on a 5 year old truck.

A 3000 pound horse trailer steered the truck so badly that my hand was forced.  My wife wasn't safe pulling a small trailer with her SL trim Silverado.  I'd be dadgummed if I'd pay for a Z71 just to give her the capability to tow safely... this is a half ton truck rated to pull heavier than 3000 pounds... it should have done so safely.

You couldn't give me another GM product.  Out-of-warranty expenses on GM vehicles less than 5 years old have cost me nearly $7000 in 2 years.  No thank you.  The Impala wasn't even my daily driver--it was towed on a flatbed trailer completely ACROSS COUNTRY, TWICE, by my '91 FORD F-350 with 220,000 miles on the clock!!

Mike

Edited by racesarabhorses 2007-02-27 6:12 PM
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 6:17 PM (#56431 - in reply to #54586)

Your wife deserves some sort of award for putting up with you. You try to electrocute her with a faulty trailer wiring job, you trade her Chev. for a Dodge. Jeez, it just goes on and on. Give her and us a break. PS. If you will send me her name and address, I'll send her flowers, cause she must be an angel.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-02-27 6:45 PM (#56435 - in reply to #56431)

Expert

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2007-02-27 5:17 PM

Your wife deserves some sort of award for putting up with you. You try to electrocute her with a faulty trailer wiring job, you trade her Chev. for a Dodge. Jeez, it just goes on and on. Give her and us a break. PS. If you will send me her name and address, I'll send her flowers, cause she must be an angel.

Now that's funny !!   Thanks for the smile.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 6:48 PM (#56436 - in reply to #54586)

Expert

I worked for  G.M.dealer and then a D.C.dealer.(Also a Nissan) G.M. was much more advanced in engineering then the D.C. or Nissan products.BUT parts quality was poor,fit and finish was terrible.Did LOTS more warranty repairs on G.M.then D.C. Did the least on Nissan UNTIL a joint venture with Ford and the fit and finish and some other issues starting cropping up.Actualy had very few issues with Chrysler paint/fit and finish(about as good as Nissan).Had LOTS with G.M.s A G.M. engineer ask me once about my lots on their products.I said it was like super high tech designed but souced out and assembled by min.wage unskilled labor. Said he had heard that before.

Edited by hounddog 2007-02-27 7:00 PM
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-27 7:08 PM (#56440 - in reply to #56431)

Veteran

Originally written by Tx. Vaquero on 2007-02-27 6:17 PM

Yeah, she puts up with me... 

We'll get her back into a pickup soon... she just wasn't safe in that half ton.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2007-02-27 7:13 PM (#56441 - in reply to #54586)

I'm sorry for getting OT, so I'l try to add something OnT. I have never owned a car, but recently I rode in an '07 Toyota Camry. That is one fine car. I can't imagine a smoother or quieter ride, and it had plenty of pep and was pretty fancy on the inside, with leather seats, moon roof, great sound system, etc. I'm a tick over 6'2" and I had lots of leg room in the back seat. I think Toyota would make it hard on all the domestic brands to compete with this ride. If their trucks are equally as good, it's going to be a long road for the rest. They just need to build something big enough to tote the load.
shadytrake
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-27 10:27 PM (#56454 - in reply to #54586)

New User

I guess I am watching the news at the right time for posting on this forum. Local news reported tonight that the TN Lemon Law website has had the wrong information posted for 4 years. This poor guy has been trying to file suit under the lemon law on his Ford F150 which has been in the shop numerous times for starter / electrical issues and Ford has been giving him the run around. 3 3

Andy Wise on your Side finally got in touch with the right people and they updated the site. He also got through to Ford they finally agreed to take back the truck. 10 15

Bet he won't be buying another Ford truck.
CatB
Reg. Feb 2007
Posted 2007-02-28 9:09 AM (#56467 - in reply to #54586)

The hubby corrected me. The Texas Toyota plant over-run costs were $400 million. Certainly makes you wonder where they'll be making THAT up!

Just to defend the Silverado 1/2 ton. We bought our '97 new, owned it 10 years, hauled a 2H steel stock trailer with it, and NEVER had it in the shop for anything other then a dent repair. We also got a good price for it when we sold it.

Every brand has its lemons.
racesarabhorses
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2007-02-28 4:28 PM (#56508 - in reply to #56467)

Veteran

Originally written by CatB on 2007-02-28 9:09 AM

The hubby corrected me. The Texas Toyota plant over-run costs were $400 million. Certainly makes you wonder where they'll be making THAT up! Just to defend the Silverado 1/2 ton. We bought our '97 new, owned it 10 years, hauled a 2H steel stock trailer with it, and NEVER had it in the shop for anything other then a dent repair. We also got a good price for it when we sold it. Every brand has its lemons.

In '97, GM built a truck!!  I'm looking for a '96-'98 GMC for my wife...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)