'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Campgrounds in Shawnee National Forest

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-04-19 2:25 PM
11 replies, 9605 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Camp & Trail  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-13 3:20 PM (#59231)
Subject: Campgrounds in Shawnee National Forest

I have been looking over various websites for campgrounds in the Shawnee Forest and I am wondering which campground is the best to stay for facility and trails. Each campground offers different pictures of trails and it makes it hard not being there before. I have looked at Hayes Canyon Campground and contacted them they are very prompt on getting back to you.I just want to make sure we are going to the right one. we are coming from North Carolina so it will be a big haul for us.
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Dwight
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-13 3:57 PM (#59233 - in reply to #59231)
Subject: RE: Campgrounds in Shawnee National Forest

Extreme Veteran

I think you will love the Shawnee.  We have been there twice.  The riding and scenery is absolutely beautiful.  Our first time, we stayed at Bear Branch---will NOT go back there.  The second time we stayed at One Horse Gap Horse Camp at New Hope Hill.  Those folks took such good care of us.  I would go back in a second!!

Be sure to ride with a guide or at the very least take a GPS with you (and lots of batteries).  The trails are not marked and it is SOOO easy to get turned around.  The map we got at BB was only good for starting the campfire.

Horses should be in good shape.  There are a lot of hills to climb.

Hope this helps.  Have fun and take lots of pictures.

RIDE ON!

Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-13 4:01 PM (#59234 - in reply to #59231)

Thanks for the info. Patti at Hayes Canyon said that the forestry service has contracted someone to mark all trails by the end of the summer so it should be pretty good after that. the trail maps will be updated to reflect it, is what she said. So, i guess we will see, huh?

Thanks!
Cloud9
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-04-13 8:16 PM (#59241 - in reply to #59231)

Extreme Veteran

We've been to Shawnee many times. Have stayed at Bear Branch and Hayes Canyon. Much prefer Hayes Canyon. You can ride out of camp right onto trails in the National Forest. Hayes, Bear Branch and Circle B campgrounds are within a 2 miles of each other. Circle B seems to be a nice campground. Smaller and more intimate than BB or Hayes. You can't find nicer people than Ben and Patty at Hayes. Hayes has a lot of permanent campers (100+) and about 50 reservable sites. Most are level and shady. all have pens for the horses. Bear Branch sites were not that level when we were there. BB does have cabins that you can stay in and a big barn with stalls. Circle B also has pens for most sites.

The USFS has done an outstanding job of laying out and improving riding trails. Work crews are out daily working on the trails. They have an updated trail map ("Interim Trail Map" that shows all of the marked trails. There are hundreds of unmarked trails. You can go on their web site www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/shawnee and see what the map looks like. As of yesterday the 2006 map was online. They haven't uploaded the 2007 version yet. It's only a few days old.

Call the Forest Supervisor's Office in Harrisburg, IL (618) 253-7114 and ask them to mail you a copy of the 2007 Interim Trail Map. With that map and a good GPS you'll have no problem getting around. If you stay at Hayes, most of the permanent campers will be glad to guide your first ride. I'm sure that holds true at just about any camp.

We're going back a couple of times this summer and will stay at Circle B in May and Hayes in October. You'll love the riding there it is spectacular. Most trails are rocky. Your horses will need to be shod. I wouldn't rely on EZBoots, But that's just me. We do carry an extra EZ boot for each horse in case we would lose a shoe. another benefit of Hayes is one of the permanent campers is a farrier.

Have fun.

Edited by Cloud9 2007-04-13 8:19 PM
Dunagain
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2007-04-13 11:50 PM (#59259 - in reply to #59231)

Regular

Hi,

I've been to Shawnee many times over the years, and have visited all of the above mentioned campgrounds.  I've mostly stayed at Bay Creek, but haven't since the new owners took over last year.  Still, it's a nice campground, good trails, friendly regulars and not ever too crowded (www.baycreekranch.com.)  For a change, I've considered going to Hayes Creek this year since they've got new owners and it IS stunningly beautiful right out of the campground!  Circle B is also nice and shady and the pens are right next to your campsite. You'll love Shawnee.  Happy Trails!

foxy54748
Reg. Mar 2007
Posted 2007-04-14 9:02 PM (#59298 - in reply to #59231)

Has anyone ever stayed at Double M campground near Junction, IL.  It's close to High Knob.  Just wondering how far to the trails from this campground and any other info someone could share.  thanks.
Shari
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-16 5:49 PM (#59418 - in reply to #59231)

Veteran

Just got back from Double M yesterday (Sun.) We usually go there. They have cabins, and a resturant. The showers aren't the best. Trails are right off property. From High Knob you can get to some of the prettier places faster though. It's just one of those things we take off for Shawnee and always end up at Double M. I guess because we've learned are way around fairly well. Last years map is better than the new ones they have. If you go ask Heath if he has an old map also.
No matter where you go down there you are going to see some beautiful scenery. Don't forget your camera!
Happy Safe Trails
Shari
kershawsowner
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2007-04-16 7:11 PM (#59420 - in reply to #59231)

Veteran

we went to hayes canyon last yr oct.. had a blast.. its not a fancy campground but its clean and actually pretty big.. you could not ask for nicer people to deal with.. the pens are outside so depends on what time of yr you go as to rain and cold.. we were there in oct and it did get fairly chilly and it did happen to rain one day.. i am thinking about buying some horse rain sheets for that purpose.. you will like hayes canyon.. happy trails

ponytammy
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-04-19 12:32 PM (#59610 - in reply to #59231)

Elite Veteran

Checkout this website for reviews on horse camping throughout the US. http://www.horsetraildirectory.com/default.asp We've been to Circle B and it was a nice quiet camp during the week. Flies were a bit bothersome, but just fly sprayed the horses real well and around the campsite. It wouldn't be camping without a few pesky flies!
brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 1:19 PM (#59613 - in reply to #59231)

hey, if you are from the carolinas, i would suggest you sightsee in surrounding states before traveling so far. we made the trip from GA to IL and i was a bit dissapointed. we have beautiful trails much closer to home. if you do make the trip, definitely get a guide. we stayed at bay creek and louie was our 4 day guide. he was awesome and let us take a million pictures. scenery was different and pretty in it's own way, but a week was too much of the limestone bluffs. bay creek was nice and the food was good. if you go, do make time to see the "garden of the angels" one afternoon. that was worth the trip but it's a walking trail. leave the horses at camp. anyway, i would not drive that far again when north GA and north AL, Tenn and the Carolinas offer so many other choices. but that is just my opinion. happy trails!  
Diamond Cut Cowboy
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 2:04 PM (#59618 - in reply to #59231)

Thanks for your repsonse. Sooo...what places do you suggest in Ga and AL? We are game for most anything. We are just happy in the saddle.Looking forward to your reply.

brightemiller
Reg. Apr 2007
Posted 2007-04-19 2:25 PM (#59625 - in reply to #59231)

i'm sorry to dash your hopes. shawnee is nice. i just wouldnt travel that far again. once was enjoyable though. maybe just not a whole week. bay creek and louie were priceless. if you have plenty of time off work and dont mind hauling that far, it's still worth considering. personally, i think we have as nice or nicer around here.

north GA has some awesome riding. around clayton, ga there is wills knob and whetstone. the trails cross back and forth between SC and GA and the river is absolutely beautiful. reserveusa.com is the way to get reservations. wills knob has electricity and shared water with picket lines for your horses. it is geared toward group camping in that you reserve more than 1 site at a time except #9. even in july, it's not too hot to camp in the woods without a/c. that is the river where the movie deliverance was filmed and it's very scenic! whetstone is the same trails but you camp on the SC side of them. no electricity but sites are easier to getsince you book one at a time. there is shared water and yo ucan still picket line anywhere you choose around your own campsite. i like that.  

also, we like talledega national forrest between tallapoosa, GA and heflin AL. warden station is the name of the horse camp and it is near coleman lake. it is primitive with shared water. $3/night. the trails are nice. the endurance riders use it and even donated $$ to help build wooden bridges across some of the boggyer spots.

i love tenn too. east fork stables any time of the year. also big south fork and bandy creek!

and the great smokey mtns are beautiful. i would prefer to stay outside the park because i do not like the standing stalls in the campground inside the park. but the riding is incredible. we even got to ride part of the famout applacian trail until the rain made us turn around. but the sights and trails are so pretty. like i pictured hanzel and gretel's forest in my mind from my childhood. but the horses need to be in good shape! 

have you visited or heard of any of these? i'l like to hear your thoughts and where you visited before too. thanks!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)