'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Escape door in slant load trailers?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-01-08 7:40 AM
5 replies, 5275 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

bizziecs
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-01-07 3:02 PM (#53455)
Subject: Escape door in slant load trailers?

This may seem like a silly question but actually my husband asked it to me and I don't know if I had the right answer.  If you don't have a side ramp, what exactly is the good of having a door up by the first slant stall of the trailer?  If you open it from the outside, the horse is right there.  I wouldn't use it to go in to unload.  I understand if the first horse has a problem you can get to it...but that is all I came up with.  Just curious what some of you may have to offer.  I am looking for a new trailer and this is just a topic that came up.  Thank you! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
robdnorm
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2007-01-07 3:10 PM (#53458 - in reply to #53455)
Subject: RE: Escape door in slant load trailers?

Extreme Veteran

When we camp, we will put some of our feed back there once we get to where we are going to clean out the bed of the truck.  This door will give you one more entry to the rear area.  This will also give you a place to put things on the floor area that has not been exposed to manure as compared to the rear door.  I have seen people send a horse out that front door in an emergency.  I would not recommend it.  In most cases there is a lip there and the horse would trip on its way out.  However, when you need to get one out in an emergency, it will work. 
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-01-07 3:15 PM (#53459 - in reply to #53455)

Expert

We use the first stall for additional storage underway.  Then Like Rob, we use the door as a mud room to keep the living area clean.

As for an emergency, A likely rear end collision to the trailer will trap the horses with jagged metal.  I like having the front side exit.  To use it, I might have to deflate the tires and take dividers off their mounts, but it's do-able.  My horses could/will jump over the sill and running board.

Edited by hosspuller 2007-01-07 3:22 PM
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-01-07 4:11 PM (#53464 - in reply to #53455)

Veteran

The first time my brother used his Silver Star slant he had to use the side door to get the first horse out. He said he thought it was useless when he bought the trailer but has never regretted it. I, like many others prefer a 3 horse over a 2 horse when hauling 2 horses. That is your storage area for hay, coolers, chairs, etc. Of course you have to have the stud wall for this. I clean out the back of the trailer after we arrive and move my hay back. When it is rainy we use the 3rd stall as a mud room to get to the LQ (walk thru door a must). I have seen one trailer that the dividers would swing from either side so you could unload all the horses out that door.
inIndiana
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2007-01-08 3:44 AM (#53495 - in reply to #53455)

Veteran

Its called an escape door for a reason.  There have been examples given here.  We have had to unload the 1st horse 1st, without taking the others off and she did come out the escape door. She was a big mare and didn't even take any hair off coming out.  We just gave her her head and let her take her time and she figured out the best way of getting her legs and feet under her. We trail ride , so it was like going off of a bank.  I don't like using it like this, but there are time you have no choice.  If it were an emergency, I'd put them out it.  Even if they were going to get skinned up doing it. There might be times as in a wreak. that would be the only way out, and you might have to pull one out. I always like having two ways to get to my horse.

bizziecs
Reg. Oct 2006
Posted 2007-01-08 7:40 AM (#53501 - in reply to #53455)

Thank you for all the helpful replies to my question.  I never really thought about having to get the horse out that door without a ramp but everyone is right..in an emergency you do what you have to do and do it quickly.  Also about storing things up in that first stall area is a great idea too, if you have the stud divider.  Thanks again!!!! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)