'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
DIY Weekend Package, AC or not???

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-12-08 2:46 PM
6 replies, 3763 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

petsitter2006
Reg. Dec 2006
Posted 2006-12-06 7:35 PM (#52255)
Subject: DIY Weekend Package, AC or not???

New User

I am planning to put a small weekend package in my trailer. I was wondering what the drawbacks were to not putting in an ac unit? Would it be hard to install one later if I decided to put one in? I would like to get started but don't have the financial means to put in an ac right now, but I can do most of the work little by little. Any suggestions??
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-12-06 8:04 PM (#52256 - in reply to #52255)
Subject: RE: DIY Weekend Package, AC or not???

Expert

Do you need A/C where you live?

About the only time I turn on my A/C is at home while I getting ready to leave town or when I'm cleaning  the trailer after a trip.

I don't hang out at Fairgrounds or Rodeos. When I use the trailer, I head for the mounntains. And it's usually cool enough there I don't need A/C

I would suspect  that if you Prep'd the trailer for A/C .  I.e. built in the frame, pulled the wires prior to putting up the panels, it should not be a big deal to add the A/C unit later.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-12-07 7:34 AM (#52261 - in reply to #52255)

Expert

I'd put it in now when your already doing the work. I use my AC at shows and I certainly wouldn't buy a traile without it. You'll never be sitting there wishing you would have / should have.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-12-07 4:21 PM (#52287 - in reply to #52255)

Veteran

I didn't put one in my yet.  It is braced for one but I haven't gotten to putting it in.  I have adverstised my trailer for sale a couple of times for I need a bigger trialer to put both my horse and carriage so I don't have haul them separate when I do weddings.  What I have found is that alot of people that call on my trailer ask if it has air.  It is so funny for I live in ND and truthfully I know of only one show a yr that I could really use the air.  The rest of the time I don't need it.  But yet it seems like people do want it.  what I have also found it that many times a person can't really plug in any ways.  alot of the places don't have the required plug ins to accomadate a trailer with air and when there is alot of trailers plugged in then the air doesnt put much out for it is drawing too much power.  For trail rides you need a generator to run it.  
Turfa
Reg. Mar 2004
Posted 2006-12-07 7:36 PM (#52296 - in reply to #52255)

Veteran

I have not put one in my weekend camper yet, but when I did the conversion, I made sure that I had all of the wiring in before I put the ceiling up.  If you have a 14" x 14" roof vent, and the roof around that vent is re-inforced, all you need is the electrical hook up.   You could add the vent now and determine if you need the airconditioner later.  The vent can be removed in the future and the airconditioner will go into the same opening.

Good luck in you project.

Turfa

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-12-07 10:58 PM (#52305 - in reply to #52255)

Extreme Veteran

I agree with Turfa, go ahead and put a roof vent in and run electrical while you can.

It will be so much easier to drop an AC unit in and/or more marketable if you sell it.

As for *need*?  Depends on where you live.
I'm in Texas so not having one is not an option!

Horse Crazy
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-12-08 2:46 PM (#52331 - in reply to #52255)

Regular

We live in SC and we have never had one. When we purchase a new one we'll have one put in it.  Like Painted Horse we usually head to the mountains and we really don't need it. On the contrary we are usually building a fire at night. However, I am hoping my daughter will want to show her new paint horse she got for Christmas and I'm sure will need one then. I guess it just depends on where you live and where you are going to do most of your traveling. The three of us are all little people and were usually cold not hot.

Good Luck!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)