'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
need advice

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-11-02 6:23 PM
9 replies, 3346 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

redrock
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-22 9:38 AM (#45237)
Subject: need advice

New User

Hello all-I am new to this board and have a question relating to purchasing a new trailer.  After a terrible trailing experience with my broodmare this past weekend I have finally convinced my dear hubby it is time for an upgrade.  I am looking for a 2 or ideally a 2+1 all aluminum, ramp load, bumper pull trailer.  It needs to be at least 7'6 in height and have all removable partitions for hauling a broodmare with foal at her side.  My girl is a very poor hauler and loader. (bad experience and really bad hormones) so safety is at the top of my list!  I have been looking at Featherlite, Jamco, Silver Star, 4-Star, Sundowner and Adam.  The information is overwhelming!!!  Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like to get this show on the road!! 
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-22 11:28 AM (#45240 - in reply to #45237)
Subject: RE: need advice

Expert

Originally written by redrock on 2006-07-22 9:38 AM

Hello all-I am new to this board and have a question relating to purchasing a new trailer. After a terrible trailing experience with my broodmare this past weekend I have finally convinced my dear hubby it is time for an upgrade. I am looking for a 2 or ideally a 2+1 all aluminum, ramp load, bumper pull trailer. It needs to be at least 7'6 in height and have all removable partitions for hauling a broodmare with foal at her side. My girl is a very poor hauler and loader. (bad experience and really bad hormones) so safety is at the top of my list! I have been looking at Featherlite, Jamco, Silver Star, 4-Star, Sundowner and Adam. The information is overwhelming!!! Any suggestions would be appreciated as I would like to get this show on the road!!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
You're looking at quite a price range there, so I'm guessing that initial purchase price isn't high on your priorities. Jamco could have a significant price advantage for you there than here in the US. I have one of those anyway, despite it's pricing disadvantage, and I'm very happy with it.

Have you really LOOKED at all those brands yet, or are you still at the web-sites, catalogues and glossy brochures phase ?
If so I suggest you actually get IN some of those trailers, check for interior fittings, sharp edges, fit and finish, "quality" however you define it, etc. Then start selecting your dealer, which can sometimes matter more than the trailer brand.

Good Luck,

\R
redrock
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 10:53 AM (#45313 - in reply to #45237)

New User

Yes, I have "looked" at most of the trailers listed above.  I am going to stomp around in a Jamco this afternoon and have not yet seen the Silver Star...but I have seen everything else.  As far as price, every quote is within $800-so I haven't seen that much price difference.  By the time you add this option to that trailer and that option to this trailer and take into consideration axels, flooring and wall construction so you are comparing apples with apples the $ is fairly consistant.   I have yet to find a trailer that comes "standard" with everything I want. Perhaps I should rephase my question to ask about durability.  All dealers promise their trailers will hold up, but I would like to hear it from those who use and abuse them and have had little to no problems.  Thanks!!
theorangehorse
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 7:50 PM (#45343 - in reply to #45237)

I find that sundowners are nice trailers, but I really dislike thier ramps on the goosenecks. The BP's seem OK, but my trainer hs a 2+1 GN and I really really dislike the ramp. Much too steep for my taste. Made me avoid them. We ended up going with a Featherlite.
RoperChick
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-24 7:56 PM (#45344 - in reply to #45237)

Veteran

Not trying to start a war here, this is just my personal opinion.  I wouldn't buy a Sundowner after hearing about the ramps on more than 1 Sundowner coming off and especially after looking over the fit and finish of my friends new Sundowners.  When shopping for a trailer, I really do a lot of research, I especially pay attention to axle size, distance between floor beams and wall joists, etc.

Edited by RoperChick 2006-07-24 8:13 PM
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-24 8:07 PM (#45345 - in reply to #45313)

Expert

Originally written by redrock on 2006-07-24 10:53 AM

Yes, I have "looked" at most of the trailers listed above. I am going to stomp around in a Jamco this afternoon and have not yet seen the Silver Star...but I have seen everything else. As far as price, every quote is within $800-so I haven't seen that much price difference. By the time you add this option to that trailer and that option to this trailer and take into consideration axels, flooring and wall construction so you are comparing apples with apples the $ is fairly consistant. I have yet to find a trailer that comes "standard" with everything I want. Perhaps I should rephase my question to ask about durability. All dealers promise their trailers will hold up, but I would like to hear it from those who use and abuse them and have had little to no problems. Thanks!!

I'm surprised that Jamco doesn't have a significant price advantage up there. If the pricing is awash check out the warranty differences and your chance of getting decent warranty service, i.e. the dealership differences.
BTW, I don't think ANY manufacturer's warranty covers any sort of kick damage, so check that the ramp and/or rear door is substantial enough to take kicks.
redrock
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-07-24 9:20 PM (#45355 - in reply to #45237)

New User

Hey Reg,

Just to let you know, the Jamco has a 10 year kick warranty on their walls-I really think it would take a tank to damage one of those trailers...but you get what you pay for.  It turns out the standard trailer does not include many options I assumed were  "standard"...so they are quite a bit more $$.  I was really impressed with their construction, but would have liked to see the interior with a few more options. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-24 10:05 PM (#45357 - in reply to #45355)

Expert

Originally written by redrock on 2006-07-24 9:20 PM

Hey Reg,

Just to let you know, the Jamco has a 10 year kick warranty on their walls-I really think it would take a tank to damage one of those trailers...but you get what you pay for. It turns out the standard trailer does not include many options I assumed were "standard"...so they are quite a bit more $$. I was really impressed with their construction, but would have liked to see the interior with a few more options.

Please check your message folder on this site.
muleskinner
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-07-24 10:07 PM (#45358 - in reply to #45313)

Regular

Originally written by redrock on 2006-07-24 10:53 AM

Yes, I have "looked" at most of the trailers listed above. I am going to stomp around in a Jamco this afternoon and have not yet seen the Silver Star...but I have seen everything else. As far as price, every quote is within $800-so I haven't seen that much price difference. By the time you add this option to that trailer and that option to this trailer and take into consideration axels, flooring and wall construction so you arecomparing apples with apples the $ is fairly consistant. I have yet to find a trailer that comes "standard" with everything I want. Perhaps I should rephase my question to ask about durability. All dealers promise their trailers will hold up, but I would like to hear it from those who use and abuse them and have had little to no problems. Thanks!!
I'm a horse hauler. my 02 silver star has 250k miles with no problems. I've hauled everything from 2000 lb. drafts to 28 in. miniatures,all kinds of terrain,weather and traffic.,however if I was buying today I'd look at the featherlite BIG_HORSE series, for the additional height and width. My trailer does not have a ramp,so I can't comment on that,other than to say I've loaded hundreds of horses ,including weanlings,yearlings,back yard horses that have never been loaded etc.,without incident.So I see no benefit in having a ramp,but who knows If I had one I might like it better,you don't miss what you haven't had. The haulers who pull for a living use a lot of jamco's and four-stars.
Cocoa
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-11-02 6:23 PM (#51027 - in reply to #45237)

We have owned JAMCO, FEATHERLITE, EXISS, and ADAM in the ranges from Bumper to Gooseneck 36 ft. long.All the trailers you have mentioned are quality and great!!! Jamco is usually the most expensive......but a great "overbuilt" trailer. I like the step up rather than a ramp.......I don't like the latches on the Exiss trailers (somewhat like a semi and a pain in a hurry). I love Adam trailers! They are actually built better than Exiss and Featherlite. Take a look at one (all Alum. of course) and pull the mats up, you will see the floor beams are closer together than that of the others. Good luck with your search!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)