'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
trailer weight & whats it take to tow it?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2007-07-23 7:52 PM
21 replies, 5616 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Vern
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-20 9:51 PM (#64191)
Subject: trailer weight & whats it take to tow it?

Newbie here.  I know little about trailering.  Girlfriend has horse wants to buy small two horse trailer to trailer up to two horses locally on flat terrain.  Not sure what typical two horse trailer weighs?  She currently has 4 door 2000 Chevy 4WD Blazer with Reese frame mounted non shock absorber hitch with hook up for lights & trailer brakes.  Owners manual says trailer capacity 4,600 or 5,600 depending on axel ratio.  Will this truck do it safely and what else do I need to know or should we invest in to make it tow well & be safe.  Truck has new rebuilt transmission.  I could add transmission cooler and temp guage.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-21 12:35 PM (#64199 - in reply to #64191)
Subject: RE: trailer weight & whats it take to tow it?

Expert

You will most likely be at or over your weight limit. I definetly say no, I would not feel safe. The distance that you will tow means nothing to me, nor does the terrain, because it only takes one time for some idiot to cut you off, pull out right in front of you, stop for no reason, or lose someting like a sofa or chairs of the bed of his truck (actually happened to me... TWICE!) for you to have a major wreck. You can be the most careful, experienced driver in the world and still get into some awful situations because of others. I know that there are some on this site that will say, "Sure you can do it!". But you asked if it would be safe, not possible.
st_pinetree
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2007-07-21 2:46 PM (#64200 - in reply to #64191)

I think you might be ok as far as the towing capacity. However, I think that it takes a full size vehicle to tow a horse trailer safely. Horses are a heavy cargo, weight that shifts constantly. I once set up a compact pickup to tow a two horse trailer, while it was under all the maximum limits, I was never very comfortable in it and gave up on the idea after a short time. That same pickup could pull a travel trailer 500lbs heavier than the loaded horse trailer just fine, but the shifting weight of horses made it feel pretty spooky.
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-21 6:13 PM (#64202 - in reply to #64191)

Elite Veteran

You will want to start with determining the weight of whatever trailer you are going to pull, then start adding in horse, tack, feed, and anything else that might be in the trailer.   I know you don't have a trailer yet, but I would suggest talking to some trailer dealers and get weights of the types of trailers you are considering.  I agree with the previous posters that you will likely be right at or above the towing limits of the vehicle.  I also agree that smaller tow vehicles are more sensitive and succeptible to the shifting weight of live cargo like horses.  Factors like lighter weight of the tow vehicle, lighter brakes, and shorter wheelbases all factor in.  And of course, driver experience in pulling trailers.   My rule of thumb is just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should.     

Vern
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-21 7:41 PM (#64204 - in reply to #64191)

As mentioned it is the longer wheelbase heavier 4WD 4 door but that said I have found that it has a base weight in this configuration of only 5350.  This surprises me that GM would give it a tow rating capacity of as much or more than it weighed. Do they do that with full size pickup trucks? At any rate part of why I posted on here was to get a typical weight for a short horse only trailer.  Her horse is only about 850 or 900 pounds.  I appreciate the responses.

Edited by Vern 2007-07-21 7:47 PM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-21 9:51 PM (#64208 - in reply to #64204)

Expert

You have to remember that horse are liquid wight and the stopping is most of the work or going up hill the wight shifts to the other end of the trailer hope this helps also the owner Manuel or the dealer could tell you the towing safety of the blazer
lostinohio
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2007-07-21 11:24 PM (#64211 - in reply to #64191)

Hi Vern and welcome to the forum. As was stated earlier, you are hauling live weight and you will feel it when the "load" shifts. To answer your question the pickups are rated to pull more than their curb weight, with one tons rated about twice their curb weights(usually a gooseneck configuration). Your trailer choices will be more limited(looking for lighter weights). Stay within your gvwr ratings and make sure to get a good brake controller and a WDH(weight distribution hitch). The WDH set up properly will make a world of difference, especially with a shorter wheelbase vehicle as yours to help the tail(trailer) not wag the dog(you). I've seen plenty of "big,bad" one ton duallies hauling more than they should. Drive defensively and good luck. 

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-22 9:32 AM (#64215 - in reply to #64191)

Expert

Originally written by Vern on 2007-07-20 10:51 PM

Newbie here.  I know little about trailering.  Girlfriend has horse wants to buy small two horse trailer to trailer up to two horses locally on flat terrain.  Not sure what typical two horse trailer weighs?  She currently has 4 door 2000 Chevy 4WD Blazer with Reese frame mounted non shock absorber hitch with hook up for lights & trailer brakes.  Owners manual says trailer capacity 4,600 or 5,600 depending on axel ratio.  Will this truck do it safely and what else do I need to know or should we invest in to make it tow well & be safe.  Truck has new rebuilt transmission.  I could add transmission cooler and temp guage.

a "typical" 2 horse trailer weighs from 2100# (small alum. featherlite no d/r) to 3600# (large steel 2h slant with d/r) with most falling somewhere in between.  so with 2 horses youre looking at best 4000# loaded probably closer to 4500#.  a wdh and brake controller are a must.......get a good brake controller none of the "timer" crap.  you will notice a lot of "i wouldnt", "wont be safe", "live weight", "too small", "too short wheelbase", and similar comments....while those are popular opinions (which you may come to share)  they are not facts.  the facts are if your within specs the truck will be fine,  the driver is a factor that gets overlooked.  some people tow for years and never really become comfortable/capable with it.....some take right to it.  as an admitted "newbie" it would be in your interest to seek out local help.  be prepared for the above mentioned "opinions", if you can find someone who doesnt immediately look at you funny when you say horse and blazer in the same sentence you may want to pay attention to what they have to say.

Vern
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-22 11:33 AM (#64219 - in reply to #64191)

Thanks everyone I appreciate all the responses. I got specs for a 99 fullsize chevy pu for comparison and found I was wrong on my earlier post with regards to the weight of the Blazer.

Wheel base                                  107" Blazer                 141" Pickup 

Standard & max tow capacity          4,600 & 5,600 lbs         5,000 & 6500 lbs

vehicle weight                              4,050                          4,145

HP & TQ                                       190/250                      230/285

The wheelbase seems far and away the most significant. So if I am looking at up to 4,500 lbs I think I am ok for very limited local trailering with a good brake controller, wdh and a common sense plus safety first attitude behind the wheel.  Last question who makes/sells a good brake controller & wdh?  Many thanks

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-22 1:50 PM (#64225 - in reply to #64191)

Expert

prodigy, 

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=60&cat=54&page=1

equal-i-zer,

http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog/product.php?productid=268&cat=0&bestseller

Vern
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-22 5:34 PM (#64231 - in reply to #64191)

Thanks! 
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2007-07-22 7:33 PM (#64238 - in reply to #64215)

Elite Veteran

It is fact that horses are live, moving weight.   The liquid weight analogy is a good one.  Hook up to a water tank trailer that weighs 4000-5000 pounds with the water sloshing around, swerve a few times and jam on the brakes and see how you feel about your tow vehicle. 

Chadsalt, just because you do something doesn't mean everybody should.  You are an experienced trailer tower and I believe you have mentioned more than once that your drive trucks for a living.  Big difference between your knowledge and experience and someone who has never towed a trailer, much less a horse trailer, before in their life.

Originally written by chadsalt on 2007-07-22 7:32 AM

[ you will notice a lot of "i wouldnt", "wont be safe", "live weight", "too small", "too short wheelbase", and similar comments....while those are popular opinions (which you may come to share)  they are not facts.  

PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2007-07-23 2:36 AM (#64254 - in reply to #64238)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-07-22 8:33 PM

It is fact that horses are live, moving weight.   The liquid weight analogy is a good one.  Hook up to a water tank trailer that weighs 4000-5000 pounds with the water sloshing around, swerve a few times and jam on the brakes and see how you feel about your tow vehicle. 

Chadsalt, just because you do something doesn't mean everybody should.  You are an experienced trailer tower and I believe you have mentioned more than once that your drive trucks for a living.  Big difference between your knowledge and experience and someone who has never towed a trailer, much less a horse trailer, before in their life.

[ you will notice a lot of "i wouldnt", "wont be safe", "live weight", "too small", "too short wheelbase", and similar comments....while those are popular opinions (which you may come to share)  they are not facts.  

Actually...your test with a 500 to 625 gallon water tank...(water being about 8 lbs/gal)...is much worse than hauling horses...because you do NOT have the massive surge with horses that you have with a liquid...which is why they put baffles in tankers, except MILK TANKERS...(this has to do with sanitization issues)...that being said...you will really have the point driven home about live weight...

Hauling swinging beef in a reefer was an ugly load, if you had to perform a sudden shift of lane or a decreasing radius curve...

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 6:56 AM (#64256 - in reply to #64238)

Expert

Originally written by headhunter on 2007-07-22 7:33 PM

you will notice that "live weight" is in quotations. yes horses are living and have weight, im just disputing the fact that being live weight makes them any more dangerous to haul. horses in a 2h trailer do not have anywhere to go, two 1000# horses moving around a few inches in a 2000# plus trailer hooked to a 4500# truck is not what should be considered a problem. im doing nothing the next guy cant do. i learned from experienced, knowledgeable, and SKILLED drivers many years ago. my answers generally stick to the facts and almost always encourage finding physical help as opposed to the internet. should the $#!t hit the fan the "little" 2h i pull with my almighty 3/4 ton diesel weighs more than enough to jerk my truck into the ditch................
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-23 9:02 AM (#64262 - in reply to #64191)

Expert

"you will notice that "live weight" is in quotations. yes horses are living and have weight, im just disputing the fact that being live weight makes them any more dangerous to haul. horses in a 2h trailer do not have anywhere to go, two 1000# horses moving around a few inches in a 2000# plus trailer hooked to a 4500# truck is not what should be considered a problem. im doing nothing the next guy cant do. i learned from experienced, knowledgeable, and SKILLED drivers many years ago. my answers generally stick to the facts and almost always encourage finding physical help as opposed to the internet. should the $#!t hit the fan the "little" 2h i pull with my almighty 3/4 ton diesel weighs more than enough to jerk my truck into the ditch................"

I learned from professional truck drivers too. I have friends who haul horses for a living and friends who drive dead weight trailers for a living and horse trailers for fun. I personally have over 25 years of cross country horse hauling experience, towing little 2H BPs up to a 39' LQ. I started out with just a little 2H BP and a full sized Jeep that was equiped to haul and within the weight limits just to go around my area because I didn't want to invest in a larger vehicle. That was an awful experience and taught me the meaning of "live weight". Tractor trailers can whip those trailers and send the horses scrambling for balance. Pull the same trailer with a larger truck and it doesn't happen. So, numbers don't mean everything. Those numbers were devised under perfect conditions, without live weight in the back.
BTW, just how much horse hauling experience do you have?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 10:54 AM (#64271 - in reply to #64262)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2007-07-23 9:02 AM

I learned from professional truck drivers too. I have friends who haul horses for a living and friends who drive dead weight trailers for a living and horse trailers for fun. I personally have over 25 years of cross country horse hauling experience, towing little 2H BPs up to a 39' LQ. I started out with just a little 2H BP and a full sized Jeep that was equiped to haul and within the weight limits just to go around my area because I didn't want to invest in a larger vehicle. That was an awful experience and taught me the meaning of "live weight". Tractor trailers can whip those trailers and send the horses scrambling for balance. Pull the same trailer with a larger truck and it doesn't happen. So, numbers don't mean everything. Those numbers were devised under perfect conditions, without live weight in the back.
BTW, just how much horse hauling experience do you have?

about 10 minutes seat time and pulled a trailer 100 yards. why do you ask?

chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 10:57 AM (#64272 - in reply to #64191)

Expert

hav2ride, you and i both know where the other stands on this subject, you need your larger trucks, i can get by comfortably with smaller. which is why i did not address you........i dont really have any interest in discussing it with you.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-23 12:55 PM (#64278 - in reply to #64191)

Expert

Vern - best of luck with your new intentions...

Yes, wheelbase LENGTH and frame strength have a lot to do with how much weight can be hauled; other factors include the height of the towed vehicle (wind resistance); and how much of the towed vehicle is carried on the tow vehicle (tongue weight = payload). The receiver hitch also tells you what IT is capable of.

When you look at the Blazer, read what is stamped on the receiver. It will typically have 2 numbers with a slash between them 3500/7000  or 5000/10000

These indicate the total weight the hitch receiver is suited for. The first number is the max weight; the second number is the amount of weight using a Weight Distribution Hitch (WDH).

A small 2 horse trailer with slatted sides, no dressing room, no ramp, could be as light as 2000 pounds. Be sure though, to get a trailer that is 7' high inside. Her horse might be small enough for a 6'6" - but you'll have more trouble selling it than a 7' one.

Personally - I don't recommend SUVs for towing. Their suspension is too soft and leads to wiggle-waggle. Additionally, the tires are not always of the proper strength/size.

Another indicator of tow vehicle capability is whether it has a flat or round 4 pin electrical hookup or the larger, 6/7 prong receptacle that is needed to handle electric brakes.

Tekonsha Prodigy is a very versatile and reliable brake controller.

Edited by gabz 2007-07-23 1:00 PM
Vern
Reg. Jul 2007
Posted 2007-07-23 1:14 PM (#64279 - in reply to #64191)

Points well taken fellas.  Though I have not trailered swinging beef & milk tankers  in the curves & hills or piloted one around a decreasing radius downhill curve I have experienced some of this and have at least some appreciation for & understanding of it. I also know how fast crap can happen on the road that is no fault of your own.   I am not 21 & bullet proof either anymore and I understand defensive driveing takes on a new level when trailering especially a live load.  I honestly have no intention to haul other than locally on flat terrain and probably most likely with only one horse.     
hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-23 3:20 PM (#64289 - in reply to #64272)

Expert

Funny how you never do answer that question. And it seems to me that you went from pulling your 2H with an SUV to a 250. Isn't that a larger truck?
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2007-07-23 6:17 PM (#64296 - in reply to #64289)

Expert

Originally written by hav2ride on 2007-07-23 4:20 PM

Funny how you never do answer that question. And it seems to me that you went from pulling your 2H with an SUV to a 250. Isn't that a larger truck?

while im flattered at your interest in my personal life,  i also find your attempts to "dis-credit" me amusing.  what i find "funny" is that youve been towing for 25 years and never gained the skills to be comfortable towing at the trucks working limits.  on top of that you assume since youre not comfortable with all your "experience"  then it must not be safe.

dont most people usually end up with bigger trucks/trailer/more horses? and to make you feel better, i owned/towed horses for 10 years back in the 70's-80's then about a 15 year break....started back with horses in 03.

looks like the OP has the info he came for, so before i get accused of being rude, im done here.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2007-07-23 7:52 PM (#64300 - in reply to #64296)

Expert

You know, I've been off this board for a few months because I got tired of you insulting everyone that you disagree with. I really would have no problem with your statements if you were able to have a civil discussion. That, I'm afraid, is just not possible.
As for my driving skills, I can handle an SUV/trailer just fine but I know from experience that it is NOT an ideal rig. But you probably will make an insulting remark about my driving skills anyhow...
and you've never even seen me drive.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)