'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
One more tongue weight question

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-13 8:13 PM
6 replies, 4042 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-07-17 10:02 PM (#44878)
Subject: One more tongue weight question

Regular

I want to thank everyone for being so helpful with our previous posts regarding trailer weights, and so forth.   Hopefully we'll be towing soon. 

However we've got one final question so would appreciate any comments/advice.

We weighed our 2 horse 4 Star BP trailer, with front dressing room today with the horse loaded.  With the horse in the front stall the tongue weight was 715 pounds.  With the horse in the rear stall the weight was 410 pounds.  The max our expedition can tow w/o a weight dist system is 600#.

So the here are the choices - which alternative would you recommend?

1- intall wdh system - travel with horse in front stall

2 no wdh system - travel with horse in rear stall (perhaps load tack and stuff in dressing room).

3 or purchase a trailer with a lighter tongue weight

Thank you for your help

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-07-17 10:11 PM (#44880 - in reply to #44878)
Subject: RE: One more tongue weight question

Expert

I'd go with option 1.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-07-17 11:04 PM (#44884 - in reply to #44878)

Expert

Get a WDH.  You won't always only have one horse in the trailer.  Like computer hard drives, closets, garages, spare bedrooms, table tops, file cabinets, and horse trailers ... available space is always filled.

The WDH allows you to make adjustments to the balance of the two vehicle system for stability. With one horse or two...

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2006-07-18 8:30 AM (#44899 - in reply to #44878)

Elite Veteran

Option 3 probably isn't viable. Except for a Brend...up (scared to spell it all out here!), you likely won't find that other trailers are much different.

Buy the WDH. A pain to hook up, a joy to drive with.

H1
SierrasMom
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-10-08 10:20 AM (#49761 - in reply to #44878)

Go with the weight distributing system.  I towed a 2 horse Morgan Built with a Chevy 1/2 ton extended cab short bed.  The WDS took my towing capacity up to 7500 from 5000.  Don't know about the tongue weight, but I towed it a couple of times with one horse without the WDS (too lazy to put it on), and dragged the bottom of the hitch going into a parking lot.  I've heard you can actually pop the coupler off the ball if you drag it hard enough.  After that I wasn't too lazy to install use it all the time, even with one horse.

Now, I moved up to a 3/4 ton truck, but I kept the WDS when I sold the small truck, in case I ever need it again.  I think it cost about $400 total.

equinetrans
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2006-10-09 10:12 AM (#49783 - in reply to #44878)
Subject: RE: how to get there with a trailer????

If you put the horse in the rear of the trailer, your trailer will be too heavy in the rear, which will probably cause it to sway. Ideally, which is difficult to do with horses, you want the weight in your trailer to balance. It sounds like, without knowing the weight of your horse, that your trailer doesn't balance too well with one horse. In the rear, it is tail heavy and with your horse in the front, it is nose heavy. Neither combination is good for towing, although nose heavy is better.

One thing that you might want to do is load two horses into the trailer, and see how your axle and tongue weights are then. You might find that you get a lower tongue weight, and better weight distribution on your axles. If that is the case, one possibility that might help here is loading the horse in the front, and adding some weight on the tail of the trailer. Getting a trailer to ride right, without it being nose or tail heavy, can be a matter of experimentation. Ideally, you don't want the tow vehicle squating in the rear, and everything should be pretty close to level.

Jim Clark-Dawe

Edited by equinetrans 2006-10-09 10:15 AM
nolefan
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-10-13 8:13 PM (#50078 - in reply to #44878)

Regular

Thank you everyone for your comments.  Very much appreciate the help.  

We ended buying the WD system.  It may a HUGE difference in the way our vehicle tows the trailer.  It feels so much stable than it did before.

We also experimated shifting things around in the trailer, like loading up the rear tack, that seemed to help too since we are pulling only one horse.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)