'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
7' wide trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-10-09 5:36 PM
4 replies, 2983 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

heddentothetop
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-09 12:54 PM (#49792)
Subject: 7' wide trailers

New User

I am currently looking at buying a new trailer.  I just recently sold a exiss that was 7'6" wide and the trailer I am looking to buy is only 7' wide.  Is that wide enough?

My main concern is that the one horse that I will be hauling is 16' hands and this trailer has mangers?  Will there be enough room for him to ride comfortably?

I love the trailer we are looking at for us but my concern is for the horses and their comfort. 

Any opinions or people that have had similar issues?

thanks.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-09 1:02 PM (#49793 - in reply to #49792)
Subject: RE: 7' wide trailers

Elite Veteran

I just bought a 7' 4" wide trailer with mangers, I have reiners that are barely 14 hands tall, so the mangers weren't a real concern for me.  The gal I bought the trailer from has dressage horses that are 16-17 hands tall, and clearly didn't fit well in the trailer from the wear and tear it received.  She said she used the trailer less than 10x, but the head window screen where her primary horse was hauled most is shredded, and even the screen on the butt window is torn, probably from being pressed right up against the window with his butt.  There are tears in the rear wall matts where the feet were probably right up against the wall.  I wouldn't recommend a standard width trailer with mangers for an extra big horse. 

Edited by headhunter 2006-10-09 1:04 PM
heddentothetop
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-09 2:00 PM (#49797 - in reply to #49793)

New User

Thanks for  your input.  That is what we were concerned about.  Most of the horses we have are about 15 hands to  15'3 and this new horse is 16 hands and is only 4???  So he could get a little bigger and I hate to have him too tight and not comfortable.

I actually just found a new trailer that is 8 wide but I had never heard of the trailer company before.  It is a Larado?  Have you heard of this company before?  They look like nice trailers but I have never seen one before.

thanks again.

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-10-09 3:54 PM (#49802 - in reply to #49792)
Subject: RE

Elite Veteran

At 15 hands, they might or might not be ok with mangers.  There are a couple of other things to consider.  some trailers don't have a manger in the first stall, there is an escape door instead.  Maybe your big horse would be ok there?  In my trailer, the third stall has an angle on the left (most rear) part of the manger, plus its the extra big spot.  If I had a bigger horse to haul I'd put him in that spot in my trailer.  Just depends on the configuration of the trailer you are looking at.

I know Sundowner and Thurobilt make 8' wide trailers and they are common.  Logan's new Ultra LQ trailer is also 8' wide.  I have not heard of Larado, but this would be the best place to search them out.  I would look up Larado's for sale, and also look for pictures on the sold trailer archive page.  

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-10-09 5:36 PM (#49807 - in reply to #49792)

Expert

My geldings are all 15.3 or 16 hands tall. 1200 lbs horses.

They trailer just fine in a 7 foot wide trailer with mangers.

Now they can't turn around and walk out forward. They have to back out.

But they trailer just fine.

Maybe there is a different angle in some makes of trailers, that would make the slant stalls shorter if the angle was reduced.

Regardless of whether it's a 7 foot or 8 foot wide trailer. the distance between the wheel wells is pretty much the same. On the 7 foot trailer the wheels and fenders are outside the box. On a 8 foot trailer the wheel wells usually intrude into the horse compartment, and the horse has to stand between them.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)