'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What are the BEST trailer tires?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-27 7:53 AM
8 replies, 14716 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

barrelsnpcs
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-23 7:50 AM (#48990)
Subject: What are the BEST trailer tires?

Veteran

What trailer tires have you had the best luck with?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-25 5:47 PM (#49112 - in reply to #48990)
Subject: RE: What are the BEST trailer tires?

Extreme Veteran

I know I will take a hit here, but I like my Carlisle tires.  I pull bumper pulls that don't weigh over 3500lbs empty and I travel fairly close to home. 

I also have the tires balanced with wheel weights.  I remember someone telling me on a thread that the manufacturers rarely balance trailer tires, which flabberghasts me as they do a lot of work, esp heavy loads.

I bought a used Diamond D a while back that had Firestone tires in terrible shape and I attribute that to not being balanced at all.

Jbsny

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-25 10:32 PM (#49122 - in reply to #49112)

Expert

Originally written by Jbsny on 2006-09-25 5:47 PM

I know I will take a hit here, but I like my Carlisle tires. I pull bumper pulls that don't weigh over 3500lbs empty and I travel fairly close to home.

I also have the tires balanced with wheel weights. I remember someone telling me on a thread that the manufacturers rarely balance trailer tires, which flabberghasts me as they do a lot of work, esp heavy loads.

I bought a used Diamond D a while back that had Firestone tires in terrible shape and I attribute that to not being balanced at all.

Jbsny

Dear flabberghasted,
GENERALLY horse trailers travel somewhat slower than most autos.
There ARE exceptions and in SOME states, e.g. CA, there are lower speed limits for vehicles pulling trailers. To put it another way, drivers pulling horse trailers don't exceed the speed limit by as MUCH as when they don't have the trailer.
Curious that they take less risk with their horses than with their own lives, the lives of their family, etc., but freedom being what it is these days - enjoy all the risks you can get.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-26 9:51 AM (#49136 - in reply to #48990)

Extreme Veteran

Reg, enlighten me. I do not see your point. What does speed have to do with the type of tire or balancing it? I still want a balanced tire on my empty pickup and my loaded trailer, regardless of the speed I am going.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-26 5:49 PM (#49158 - in reply to #48990)

What size tires do you need? Depending on how much your trailer weighs, you can probably get some suggestions or at least opinions, for what they are worth. I don't understand why anyone would buy a new tire and not have it balanced, whether it goes on a trailer, truck or moped. Why would you take a chance on beating your bearings, trailer, and everything else up just to save a few bucks? Makes no sense to me.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-09-26 10:19 PM (#49174 - in reply to #49112)

Extreme Veteran

I have also heard some disturbing things about Carlisle tires.....My equipment trailer has a set on it ....I always wonder!??..I check them alot(maybe thats why they have treated me well) Max PSI when hauling heavy....they arn't balanced....but you won't get an argument from me why you shouldn't.... they have not shown any ill effects due to no wheel weights either...

deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-27 5:39 AM (#49190 - in reply to #48990)

Elite Veteran

I can tell you the best trailer tires and where to find them.

Go to all your local tire dealers that are a comfortable driving distance from your humble abode.  Check out the person that is in charge! I don't mean the owner, the salesperson, the desk jockey, the counter man, I mean the person that is in charge.

Following criteria would be helpful:

That person should be married. (happily)

Have a family.

Go to church on Sunday.

Walk around with a smile. (most of the time)

Really cares about good customer service and repeat business.

The best trailer tires are on the sign on the front of the building where the person in charge works.

Happy trails.

Ardly
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-09-27 6:45 AM (#49196 - in reply to #48990)

Veteran

Good point deranger,

I purchased a new set for the last horsetrailer that we owned and specifically asked for them to be balanced which they did. Our first trip away from home we had one to lose air pressure and ruined the sidewall. Back to the tire store and got another one to replace the ruined one.About 6-8 months later had the same thing happen on the way back from the same campground,lost air and ruined the sidewall. This time I was fortunate enough to find the cause of the air leak, TIRE DEALER DID NOT REPLACE THE OLD VALVE STEMS! They were dry rotted and cracking around the seams. Went back to the dealer and this time was determined that the dealer would eat the cost of the replacement tire. Had a fairly heated argument with him after arriving when He tried to justify leaving the old stems in. He stated that he usually don't replace the valve stems and sometimes just don't ask about it cause alot of people don't want to pay the extra few dollars for the new valve stems.     I on the other hand was not very impressed with someone that would charge me $300 for the original set plus $75 for the first replacment tire a week later just to find out that HE was to cheap to put in new valve stems. According to his perspective it seems that since the tires that were on the trailer to start with had excellent tread but dry rotted,that I spent the additional money to have the new ones balanced,that they were ONLY going on a horse trailer that who in there right mind would want to spend the few extra bucks on needless(not dry rotted valve steems).

Moral of this rather long story is this, Just as deranger said, Go to someone that does a QUALITY job, purchase the proper load range tire,and keep the inflation at a proper level and You'll likely have good service out of Your trailer tires,Just watch those valve stems Guys and Girls! lol

, Ardly

ps. We bought our last set at Sams Club and have been very happy with the service there.Even have road hazard warranty with these tires and had trouble with 2 of the stems leaking on these tires and loosing air around the seal of the stems(new stems).I took them back and they happily put new ones in and used some bead sealer around them,said that there was some slight corrosion around the edge of the rim were the stem seated that was causing the leak and that even though they didn't carry the bolt in type that if We had any further trouble out of them and would pick up a set and bring them there they would replace them with the bolt in type at no charge.Now this was service with a smile and they'll even fix your flat for free.No I don't work there or have any affiliation with them other than we are customers and they'll most likely put on our next set of trailer tires!

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 7:53 AM (#49202 - in reply to #48990)

Extreme Veteran

xyzer and Reg, are you saying there is a reason to NOT balance trailer tires? I want to learn more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)