'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
More on NAIS

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-29 10:49 AM
21 replies, 4662 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-26 10:09 PM (#49173)
Subject: More on NAIS

by Bob Parker, posted at www.mulesandmore.com 

The big bay gelding stepped high as we entered the south pasture. He was quick and sure on his feet, the kind of horse you thought you could trust. I hadn't owned him long but was impressed with his looks and style. He sure was smooth! As we went past the corral gate a slight breeze caught the old wooden gate, a slight squeak could be heard just as we passed. The big gelding shot sideways shying from the gate way faster than I could hang on. In slow motion I went horizontal in the air and then fell toward the hard packed ground in front of the gate our 1,000 or so head of sheep went through every morning and night. Bam! I hit the ground hard! I was hurt. My hip and right side were in terrible pain. I had been betrayed by a horse that I thought I could trust. I lay on the ground for a long time, too hurt and stunned to get up, at least for a while.

The National Animal Identification System story is similar to my old horse story. The system started with promise and seemed to be something good to those that created it, but before I knew what happened, I was slammed to the ground as I read the details of this extensive Identification plan. Most of us small farmers are just finding out about this plan. I'm referring to the USDA draft plan which can be seen on the USDA website along with the technical supplement that describes the computer coding and requirements of reporting and such. When you read it, you realize what has been dreamed up for all of our Mules and horses, cattle and sheep, 27 species of animals in all.

The animals are to be micro-chipped, processed, computerized, and verified. They are to be reported every time they are born, sold, die, relocated, and trailered, all within 24 hours of the ‘'event.'' There is even a code for turning in your neighbor if you see he isn't complying with the program! Every time you trail-ride with your friends you are required to report where you went. Think I'm kidding? Read the plan. We have yet to be told the cost of the tags, data bases, tag readers, computers and computer programs. How many people do you think will be required to handle the data on all of this information? Millions of entries on millions of animals. I can see why all the fuss over who gets to handle the data bases.

This plan begins as a ‘'Voluntary'' system and then moves to ‘'mandatory, with enforcement''. Several states have already gone mandatory with this. The first step is the registering of your ‘'Premise'' and getting a premise number. Texas has $1,000 a day fines for violations but has put that on hold since 600 mad cowboys stormed their meeting. In January of 2008 all animals will be required to be electronically ID'd, and in January 2009, all movements of such animals will be mandatory according to the plan. Secretary of Agriculture Johannes said in his April 6, 2006 teleconference that this system wouldn't need to be made mandatory if 100% of livestock owners comply with every piece of this draft plan. He also claims that he has been authorized in the 2002 Farm Bill to implement a mandatory system and that no further votes or congressional action are required to make this system mandatory! You can read this on the USDA site also. Click on the news conferences link.

Where did this come from you ask? Because of 911? Terrorists? Disease control? In 1994 there was an organization called the Livestock Conservation Institute, or LCI. This meeting was attended by Ken Olson from American Farm Bureau, Beth Lautner, National Pork Producers Council, Neil Hammerschmidt, Holstein Association and currently the number two man in USDA, also Fred Bower, International Llama Registry, Chuck Sattler, National Association of Animal Breeders, also eartag and electronics manufactures Magtag, Allflex, Trace-em, as well as the USDA, starring John Weimers, and others. 90% of those present said they wanted a national Identification system for economic reasons. The transcripts of this meeting show that it was determined at that time that the system must be mandatory, it must be standardized, it must be computer chips, and it must be a unique number for each animal, remember, this was 1994!

This organization was later re-named the NIAA, the National Institute of Animal Agriculture [ http://www.animalagriculture.org/ ] It's membership includes 13 state Farm Bureau Associations, American Farm Bureau, The American Association of Equine Practitioners, American Horse Council, as well as Cargill, Elanco, DFA, Monsanto, Pfizer, Schering-Plough Animal Health.

The membership also includes the USDA, Indiana State Board of Health, American Veterinary Medical Association, Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges, Livestock Marketing Association, National Association of State Departments of Agriculture, numerous state departments of Agriculture.

Additionally, the following ear tag and electronics manufactures are members, Allflex USA, Inc, Bloodhound Animal Identification Systems, Digital Angel and Electronics ID Inc, E-merge Interactive, Inc, EZ ID Systems, National Brand and Tag company, Optibrand Ltd.,LLC, Science Applications International Corporation, the list goes on and on. [See the full list on their website.] As you can see this is a real cozy club of the big Ag organizations, big Corporate interests, and the regulators. Where were the small producers at these meetings?

My friends, this is the ‘'perfect storm'' for small producers and livestock owners. If you just have one mule, or one cow, you must register your farm and tag your animal[s]. This is no joke. As you can see, the agencies have conspired together when they developed this system. Millions are currently being handed out to animal organizations across the country promising big bucks for handling the data bases. Don't be fooled when they tell you this isn't so. The draft plan was entered into the Federal Register and has never been replaced or removed. Ask for documentation from those that disagree with what I have said here. Ask them what they are basing their statements on.

After several public meetings in Missouri , USDA and the State Vets won't even show up anymore because they look so bad when challenged with the documents. A Missouri Farm Bureau State board member showed up at the last public meeting in Belle, Missouri in August but when I asked the crowd to raise their hand if they felt Farm Bureau needs to do a 180 degree turnaround on this issue all the hands went up. Farm Bureau has covered up the truth about this system to their membership as have many other organizations.

Missouri Farm Bureau told the USDA last year in a letter dated July 6, 2005 and signed by President Kruse [contrary to Missouri FB policy at that time] that;

• They believe a Mandatory System will ultimately be necessary.
  • Producers would be willing to pay a fee....for tagging.
  • Both seller and buyer should report animal movements.
  • Animals (should) be identified prior to entering commerce or being commingled.
  • The suggested timeline for implementing NAIS is realistic.
  • All livestock listed in the draft standard plan should be included, (e.g. cattle, bison, swine, sheep, goats, horses, poultry, alpacas, llamas, deer, elk, and aquaculture.)

I remember when Ross Perot talked about the giant sucking sound that we would hear from Mexico as they sucked up our American jobs. The NAIS will suck billions from the pockets of producers over the next several years unless it is stopped. This can be stopped if we get our legislators to refuse to implement this program on the state level. The states must stop taking money from the Federal Government for this program! This will be devastating for the last of our independent small farmers and ranchers as they struggle to remain viable. This is a violation of our constitution. This is a violation of our freedom. This is a violation of all that we in the country hold dear, and it must be stopped! Free men don't ask for permission to ride a horse or a mule or raise their own food.

Bob Parker and his wife Karen have farmed in Missouri since 1977. They continue to run registered Corriente cattle on their 700 acre farm near Raymondville , Missouri . Bob has served on the Texas County Farm Bureau board for many years and continues to travel across Missouri and Arkansas speaking at public meetings about the National Animal Identification System.  

Bob can be reached at Bob@parkerealty.com

Edited by rose 2006-09-26 10:12 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
deranger
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-09-27 5:53 AM (#49191 - in reply to #49173)
Subject: RE: More on NAIS

Elite Veteran

wow!

Thank you for sharing this and making many of us aware that this was happening. I, for one, hadn't heard of this until now and it scares the crap out of me to think that "big brother" is headed for the barnyard!

windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 6:33 AM (#49194 - in reply to #49173)

Extreme Veteran

I ditto the feelings of you both. 

I'm against them going after the small farmers and owners of livestock for pleasure purposes. Food chain is another story. How the heck are they going to monitor people taking their horses out for a trail ride? I'm sure the police departments are going to love this one.  Are they going to have to keep a laptop in their cars to check the "database"?  "Please"..........I'm sure were going to be the least of their problems. What a bunch of bull. (no pun intended)

If they get this ridiculous thing passed, it could very well stop incompedent ownership of all types of livestock.  Especially for the equine world.  ie; owning, breeding, selling etc. That would be the only thing good out of this that I can think of.

Edited by windwalker2 2006-09-27 6:35 AM
chevalnoir
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 11:20 AM (#49214 - in reply to #49173)

I too am against this and hope we can defeat it.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 11:53 AM (#49216 - in reply to #49173)

sure would be the end of us rodeo guys
barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-09-27 4:00 PM (#49236 - in reply to #49173)

Veteran

Big Bad USDA.  No one complained when they were the first to identify West Nile and helped develop the vaccine.  What about the one stray "mad cow" in the Northwest.  Everyone wanted an instant ID on where it came from before it wrecked the cattle economy.  What about e coli in your spinach?  Care about that.  We all complain about big brother but not a single person stands up and says go away when "they" want help.  There are diseases that if spread would cause states to shut their borders to horse transporation.  So who would we turn to then?  USDA works through and must consider thousands of public comments each time it makes a rule change for decades.  IMO, this is a bunch of worry about nothing.  There is not a federal or state budget yet can can afford to hire the thousands of investigators to worry about you going to a rodeo, horse show, or trail ride.  I am a public servant and I tire of people who hate the government but come crying when they have a problem that affects them.

Edited by barry 2006-09-27 4:10 PM
walkin
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2006-09-27 6:20 PM (#49243 - in reply to #49173)

Elite Veteran

It has been floating around for a while.  On different sites.  BAD NEWS.
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 6:27 PM (#49245 - in reply to #49173)

WOW! hey Barry, lighten up a little. Thanks for whatever public service you provide, but give us a break. What I am concerned about is another layer of self serving bureaucracy regulating something already so highly regulated as the movement of a horse from one place to another. We already are required to have health papers for every state we enter and have a current Coggins. What more can they possibly want? West Nile is not transmitted from horse to horse, so it is a non issue. I am in the cattle business also, so it is certainly in my best interest to do everything posible to protect the health and safety of the beef product to the consumer, and I spend a lot of money doing just that. I already ear tag all my cattle and keep records of their health care and movement, just as good management practices, not because some pencil necked bureaucrat with a bad combover tells me to.I am all for knowing our beef supply is safe and healthy, I just for the life of me cannot understand how requiring every movement of a horse, not entered into the commercial market, as in a sale, but transported to a rodeo, trail ride, barrel race or playday can possibly be important to the security of anyone, except the job security of some bureaucrat wanting to expand their self serving image of importance. Maybe you can enlighten me with facts and not bureaucratic spin and scare tatics, both of which are wasted on me.By the way, I already micro-chip my horses, not because somebody had to tell me to, but because if they are ever stolen, I need every tool available to help get them back. Please explain to us how this deal is going to solve all us common folk's, so dependent on the government to do all our thinking for us, every problem.

Edited by Tx. Vaquero 2006-09-27 6:29 PM
Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 7:14 PM (#49247 - in reply to #49173)

By the way Barry, since you were so quick to jump on this, I want to set the record straight. Every cent I earn or loose is based on livestock, whether it is riding them, roping them, raising them or selling them. It always has been and I'll do my damndest to see that it stays that way, but it gets to be more of a battle every day, not only because of the cost of production, such as fuel, feed, fertilizer and equipment, but because of that non-controllable intangent, government regulation and restriction on every aspect of reasonable commerce. I've never drawn a cent from the public coffers and will not ever, even if it means going belly up, so in a way I resent someone who is a "public servant" jumping on their high horse about almost anything related to more government regulation. Whew! That's more words than I've spoke in a while. Sure look forward to an enlightenig response from you.

Edited by Tx. Vaquero 2006-09-27 7:16 PM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 10:14 PM (#49260 - in reply to #49173)

Veteran

I had heard about NAIS over a year ago. It was in the very beginning stages and our extension agent asked that we register our farm. They told us that it was so animals could be traced in case of an emergency requiring identification of the animal and where it had been. I didn't think much about it at the time because I knew it would cost a fortune for the state and federal government to get it together.

I think many of these things start with our best interest in mind but eventually the people that make the decisions about how it is implemented have no clue about the reality of those decisions for those of us who are actually involved. Horses were thrown into the NAIS because they are livestock.  I could tell story after story about regs that have beem mandated for our farm. Many times totally impossible to do and other times conflicting directions from different agencies.

loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-27 10:37 PM (#49261 - in reply to #49260)

Expert

I can see both side of this nais. some years ago there was an outbreak of stranges in CT the borders were close no in or out. I know trailer that took the back way out  so the horse owner could have there horse home.were did it start at a horse show. were did this horse live?????? no body know and the horse that was so sick disappered befor the anybody could ask. But as a horse owner I am on a tight buget the price tag for this ??????? no body is saying . just my veiw
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-09-27 11:12 PM (#49264 - in reply to #49236)

Originally written by barry on 2006-09-27 4:00 PM

IMO, this is a bunch of worry about nothing.  There is not a federal or state budget yet can can afford to hire the thousands of investigators to worry about you going to a rodeo, horse show, or trail ride.  I am a public servant and I tire of people who hate the government but come crying when they have a problem that affects them.

I agree that if a "fiscal note"  were required, this regulatory "scheme" would go nowhere.  However, anytime laws/regs are put into place with only a tiny amount of enforcement ability, there arises the spectre of selective enforcement.  And this situation only encourages lack of respect for the law, since everyone knows the law is only a bunch of words.  Personally, I have a philosophical problem with a bunch of laws/regs in the books that are incapable of application, regardless of whether said laws should be applied.  

Further, no law or regulation is going to make a ratbag do right..............................................

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 7:16 AM (#49277 - in reply to #49173)

Veteran

Forgive my "high horse" attitude . . . it has more to do with my political/social orientaion than my profession. These are my political comments. I don't mean to offend. TX VQ, I grew up on a beef cattle farm in rural Arkansas, my wife did too, she still works for a farmer, and we are very familiar with all of the trials you face as a beef cattle producer. Next post will have some links to the ID issue.

We hate terrorists but heaven forbid we are delayed because of the government trying to do something. Is that something worthwhile, maybe not, but if "stuff" happens people will complain they were sitting on their hands. I too have never taken a cent from the government. But, in a way I have. I take a "cent" every time my kid steps in school, I take a "cent" when my food is safe, my pills are somewhat assured that they will make me better rather than kill me, etc. Yes, those are my cents cause I pay taxes just like you, but I could not afford all of the things I benefit from on just what I pay. I take "cents" everytime I eat because the government pays some farmers (granted not beef producers) subsidies to help them stay in business during tough times and because of that and those farmers hard work I enjoy the lowest food cost of any nation in the world and get fat too boot. I would say something about not being able to afford the roads I drive on, but Missouri is ranked at 50th for bad roads. Alternatively, I pay more into Social Security than I will ever draw. However, there is a widowed mom with 3 kids who needs the protection of our society so she is using some of my "cents." Finally, I sleep in comfort each night beacuse of the "cents" the government pays to our troops who spend their "blood, sweat, and tears" defending the right for me to live and play in freedom. Yes, I have never taken a "cent", been on food stamps, welfare, but I have taken advantage of my fair share of protection, freedoms that few others have, and most importantly the ability to sound off here.

barry
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 7:27 AM (#49279 - in reply to #49173)

Veteran

http://animalid.aphis.usda.gov/nais/audiences/horses/index.shtml

Check out the complete list of work group members.  The horse industry is well represented and the PRCA even has a position on the board.

Check out the brochure link at the right side of the webpage.  You should read it.

There is the potential for this to be as bad as everyone says.  But, it notes that NO equine group has endorsed this and notes that USDA has not issued equine related rules and is aware of that.  It also notes, that states have, will, or can create more restrictive rules and regulations.  I believe that many of the papers that TX VQ referred to are probably state regulations.

Again I apoligize if I offended anyone.  Check the link I provided and do what people in a representative government do -- write in with your comments.

Your comments will be read, cataloged, and considered.

Finally, I do not have any affiliation with this issue in my government service.

Tx. Vaquero
Reg. Jun 2006
Posted 2006-09-28 8:51 AM (#49283 - in reply to #49173)

Barry- thanks for your response. I am only offended when information is put put in the form of vague generalities and not fact. I am very aware of the original intent of the NAIS progam and how it has evolved. I have worked with Dr. Gibbs at Texas A&M to give input on how the tracking of horse movement could be effectively and practically implemented. Progress has been made on the health certificate issue with several states recognizing a 6 month health certificate issued by the state of origin for the horse. It functions like a passport, with each state/location that the horse enters stamping the certificate noting location and date. The scary thing is how broad the scope of the NAIS has become as the various government agencies have had their respective input. The cattle and horse industries have a more focused regulatory goal in mind, driven by the ability to be practically implemented. Government seems to have a more questionable motivation. All of my elected representatives know very well how I feel about the issue,as I have made it known to them at every opportunity. We all must become educated on the matter and make our position known, or government will do it for us. I worked on a committe formed by my Gorvernor and long time friend, and fellow Aggie, Rick Perry when the NAIS was just a concept. As I said, it has evolved into something totally different now. Everyone needs to think this through and get involved before we become criminals just by going to rodeo or barrel race without getting our log signed. Think about the fiasco called "log books" the trucking industry deals with now. Started out as a good idea, turned into a regulatory nightmare. Thanks again for the debate and exchange.

Edited by Tx. Vaquero 2006-09-28 8:54 AM
Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 8:54 AM (#49284 - in reply to #49173)

I also find it funny that the government wants to classify horses as livestock for this, but when a person wants to get their property green belted for tax purposes nobody will recognize horses as livestock for that. all of a sudden they are recreational animals then.

Edited by Diamond D Shane 2006-09-28 8:55 AM
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-09-28 10:31 AM (#49294 - in reply to #49173)

Extreme Veteran

As a small time horse owner, I have no problem with getting my horses micro chipped ($35) and then keeping a log of shows & trail rides to be available if requested. But I sure don't want to have to send in a report every time I go 1.5 miles to the trail head to ride! I can image what an impact this would have on trainers that haul 6 or more horses to a show several times a week. What a nightmare. Here's hoping they come up with a reasonable process.

-Betty
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-28 11:58 AM (#49298 - in reply to #49284)

Extreme Veteran

Green belted.  That's a term I've never heard of.   Is that kinda like "zoned agricultural"?

Was just wondering.

Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-09-28 2:16 PM (#49303 - in reply to #49298)

yes green belted means for agriculture use.
windwalker2
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-09-29 4:27 AM (#49316 - in reply to #49303)

Extreme Veteran

Sounds like Florida state government has the issue of horses being livestock. Maybe you should shove the NAIS right down their "Green" throats.  The Fed's say they are livestock and the state says their not! Geesh.  When I purchased my farm in Maryland, they told me that on 15 acres, that I had to have a minimum of 5 horses to keep agricultural status.  I own six.........thank God.  Big difference in property taxes.....
j&j
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-09-29 6:58 AM (#49326 - in reply to #49173)
Subject: NAIS

Veteran

Barry and Tx V.

Thank you for your REASONED comments on this. I am so tired of reading the scare tactics and doomsayer type of responses. This IS going to happen in one way or another. We, as reasonable and educated horses owners, need to have input. There is a group of respected horse people who have formed a working committee to deal with the USDA. They are known as ESWG (Equine Secies Working Group) http://www.equinespeciesworkinggroup.com/aboutus/eswgmembers.html

They are the group of horsemen that the USDA will be listening to. You need to make your opinions known to ESWG.

One of the most recent things they have suggested is for the current method of Health Cert., Brand Inspections and Passports to serve as the standard for NAIS as means of being able to backtrack horse movement. This is something we do already in our travels with horses. The ESWG feels that this would provide the ability to backtrack horse movement in case of disease without placing an undue burden on us, the horse owners. Our hope should be that this ends up being the standard.

It pays to educate oneself and learn the true facts. Some of the rumors that have come out are positively ridiculous and you need to separate fact from fiction.

Edited by j&j 2006-09-29 7:01 AM
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-09-29 10:49 AM (#49363 - in reply to #49326)
Subject: RE: NAIS

Expert

If ever horse has a passport then at state and other parks they could have a ranger stamp it? this would help keep book keeping down to one a year? would micro-chipping also help with provening stealing of the horse??  just  a  thought
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)