'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
New LQ Horse trailer that leaks like a crazy. What to do?

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-09-27 7:17 AM
49 replies, 9332 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Mr. Trailer
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-08 10:16 AM (#48118 - in reply to #48114)
Subject: RE: New LQ Horse trailer that leaks like a crazy. What to do?

Hey Don,

We sincerely appreciate your help and all that you do. You are a huge asset to us and to customers all over.

We also appreciate your business Derrick and want to do our part to get this resolved.

After reading the post, I discussed this with our warranty department. Derrick called here just yesterday and informed us of the problems. He was told that we would take care of it and asked to coordinate the repair with his dealer. After calling the dealership, Ron from Carolina told us that he asked Derrick to bring it in Monday and they would fix it as well as do some additional detailing.

If there is anything that you need from us Don, just holler.

Again, thanks for all you do.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
devilsadvocate
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 11:30 AM (#48122 - in reply to #48068)

I'm sure don is a great man and most certainly deserves recognition for being so willing to help people that own the product he sell's.  He is definately an asset to the manufacturer's he represents!!!! but the point i don't see a lot of people commenting on is yes he comes to the rescue on this board a lot,  but he has to come to the rescue all the time of products that have constant quality issues!  if the products are such good products why does he have the opportunity to be a hero so often.  not many other dealers on here having to RESCUE the product they sell because they don't have the abundance of problems that exsist with the products he sells.  sorry to throw a curve in everybody's day but facts are facts.  better products require less RESCUE.  I'm sure that there is an abundance of good dealers out there that treat customers just as Don treats his,  they just don't have the opportunity to as often!  that's my 2 cents

Edited by devilsadvocate 2006-09-08 11:36 AM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 11:45 AM (#48124 - in reply to #48068)

Veteran

I do agree with you on that. I have never had to see a dealer with the trailers that I have owned. However Don is an Exiss Dealer and he stands behind his product; not just for his business but for other dealers who don't want to accept responsibility for their own sales. Don isn't on here trying to push his product; he is here cleaning up other dealer's messes. I respect that.  I am not sure how my dealer would be but I am thrilled that I don't have a reason to know.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 11:58 AM (#48126 - in reply to #48068)

Expert

Devil, I do agree that representing Exiss may create more opprotunities for Don to be a hero, but he is the only hero I keep seeing. He also steps up no matter who sold the trailer. That's the impressive part. I see people on this board complaining about every brand of trailer and only Don offers any help, but let someone get on here and say they are considering a new trailer and the RATS come out of the woodwork trying to sell a trailer. People are dogging out Exiss in general on here alot, and you don't see Don defending them, but if you are having a particular problem he will step up and get it fixed for you.
devilsadvocate
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 12:07 PM (#48129 - in reply to #48126)

As i said Don definately is an asset to the brands he sells and does a great job!  nothing taken away from him.  but the dealers that he is bailing out still sell the same product and the fact remains the same if those products were as good as promoted to be then no dealer would have to bail anybody out.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 12:25 PM (#48132 - in reply to #48068)

Extreme Veteran

Alright you guys let's get some things straight.  My dealer I bought the trailer from has an issue that is not in their control.  They are a small dealer I would say.  The Tech that I like is having medical issues with one of his eyes.  They don't know for sure when he will be back.  Ron and Earl are very good people to work with just some things are out of their control.  This is not a dealer bashing thread.  I had an issue and Don stepped up to the plate to help out.  The wife and I discussed it and just wanted the trailer repaired properly and timely.  We couldn't believe that Don offered to help in this way so we took him up on it. I will never look at gift horse in the mouth and tell them no. I am not mad at Carolina Trailer Sales in any way. I do understand things happen. They have given me good service in the past. Please don't blame either dealer on this issue.  They are doing what is right and the best that they can.

Mr. Trailer, I hope you will take this issue and learn from it.  You will want to get your department heads together and have a round table discussion on how issues like this can be avoided. Not corrected.  I am a very happy go lucky kind of guy. But when it is time to get down to business it's time to work hard and if I have to take on some resposiblity I will. Last nights new leak finds on LEAKY was the water that broke the camel's back.

devilsadvocate
Reg. Sep 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 12:31 PM (#48134 - in reply to #48068)

Again not a dealer issue here!!!  it is a product issue that dealers are having to deal with!  AN OUNCE OF PREVENTION IS WORTH A POUND OF CURE! 
Darwinsdata
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 12:42 PM (#48135 - in reply to #48068)

I believe that out of thousands of trailers sold each year in the US, the relative amount of complaints are very low. Exiss brand (which I am a very proud owner of), sells the most trailers of every brand out there (or so my research has found), therefore the complaints (just in the number of trailers sold) would be higher. Simple mathematics. If the largest manufacture was another brand, I think you'd find the same to be true of that brand. I literally looked at hundreds of trailers prior to making a final decision, Exiss, hands down, was the most trailer for the least money. IMHO, it is the responsibility of the dealer to scrutinize every trailer that goes out their door. Many of the issues adressed by the writer of this initial post are things that should have been caught by a competent staff prior to the delivery of the trailer to the customer. My trailer - Exiss My Dealer - Dixie Horse and Mule Problems I have had - 0 My Reaons- Value, service after the sale, and a dedicated staff Not having to worry about my trailer - Priceless!!
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 1:04 PM (#48136 - in reply to #48068)

Veteran

Enough said. I hope you have great success in getting your trailer fixed and that soon the name "Leaky" will be a name of the past.
Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 1:25 PM (#48141 - in reply to #48136)

Extreme Veteran

I hope so.
kat
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-09-08 1:40 PM (#48142 - in reply to #48068)

I was talking about this thread with my SO last night. We've had our 04 Exiss Sport since 01/05 and haven't had a single hint of a leak. We had some weird wiring thingy that was likely messed up by the co. that did the conversion for the LQ, but it was an easy fix. I am very happy with my Exiss, and I hope Leaky is a thing of the past- SOON :)

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-09-08 1:49 PM (#48143 - in reply to #48134)

I really appreciate all the kind words said on here about myself, and my dealership.  I do firmly believe every customer deserves a quick decisive solution to any legit problem.  In this case, it appeared that was not happening soon enough to suit the customer, for whatever reason.  I know Earl at Carolina trailer personally, and I know the folks at Exiss, and I know them all to be good, honest, decent people that will do all they can to help a customer.  In this case, I was just the first one in the family to become aware of how critical it was to get it handled immediately.  To those that find this an opportunity to jump on the brand, you are certainly free to do so, whether you be a competitor, a disgruntled prior dealer, or a customer.  I do want to say a few words in defense of Exiss, and all other brands.  None are inherently bad.  My dealership, and I say this most humbly, is likely the largest horse trailer dealership in the country, in sales volume.  We are, in fact, the largest Exiss dealer in the nation, by a large margin.  We got here by applying sound business practices, excellent service, very good products, the best personnel, and prices that few can compete with.  I sell 6 brands currently. I dropped two other major brands in the last year because their numbers were not enough to justify their existance here.  Exiss is over 60% of my sales.  I did not decide that, my customers did.  If 3 legged goats were in demand, I'd have a pasture full of them.  I do not experience any greater percentage of problems with Exiss than I do the other brands.  The sheer volume of Exiss trailers sold will make it appear they have more problems than they actually do.  If it were different, I would say so.  I say none of this to change anyone on brands, but rather, hopefully, to shed a little needed light on the "pile on" problem.  I will continue to offer the most popular products, at the very best prices, backed up by the very best nationwide service, and delivered by the best employees in the industry!  I solicit everyone's business possible.  If you buy from my competitor, and are happy, I will be glad for you both.  If you buy from me, I guarantee we will both be happy!  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.    
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-08 2:27 PM (#48146 - in reply to #48068)

Elite Veteran

I can understand the tech that has trouble qwith one of his eyes.

I am having trouble with My eyes too!

I just can't see Myself being at work today!!

I can see Myself out enjoying My trailer and horses.

As we see on these post every mfg,truck,trailer,or tires they all have some problem, sometime.

The difference is how the problem is resolved.

Thanks to all the great dealers that go that extra mile.

justcruzin
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-09-09 2:35 PM (#48185 - in reply to #48143)

Don, when oh when, will you start selling 4 Star?? I would love to purchase a trailer from you! I have had two 4 Stars and am very happy with the trailers. I am looking to upgrade from a small LQ to a bigger one.

Please do us all a favor and become a 4 Star dealer! Thank You, Joan Davis
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-09 3:14 PM (#48188 - in reply to #48068)

Veteran

I second that.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-09-09 6:18 PM (#48194 - in reply to #48188)

justcruzin & Miss arelen21, thank yall so much for the compliments and the confidence!  I really appreciate what yall, and others, have said on here.  4 Star, and the other brands mentioned on here, are very nice trailers.  I honestly would be proud to pull any of the major brands built in the US!  They all have a place in the market!  I do, naturally, think mine to be "the most for the money", and to that, I attribute a great portion of our modest success!  Most of the "custom built" trailers mentioned on here, such as 4 Star, Elite, Platinum, C&C, etc., have a very small percentage of the market, and though they are VERY nice trailers, would not be a large enough part of my sales to warrant stocking them.  Please understand this is in no way meant to be deragatory toward them, it is just the reality of our target market.  We are primarily focused on the "mass middle", with strong emphasis on the "entry level", and "upper level" markets.  This is just our marketing strategy, and our three major brands do that very well.  The custom market, in which most of the above brands fit, can be very lucrative, but it is also highly specialized, and to be really successful in it, one must be geared that way.  We are geared for mass distribution.  For the last several years, the overall market has leaned toward the "line produced" trailers, and away from the custom builts, mostly due to improved production capabilities, and lower labor costs.  That is where we have focused our efforts.  Should it change back the other way, I hope I can see it coming in time to change ahead of it!  Again, I thank you all for the kind words, and I am completely humbled and flattered by same.  If I can be of service to anyone, I'll do my best to justify their willingness to allow me the opportunity to earn their business!  Thanks,  DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.   

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-22 8:25 PM (#48973 - in reply to #48068)

Extreme Veteran

Well,  Don took the water and the lemon and made LEMONADE!!!!!!!!!!

Another thing,  I didn't have one complaint from Exiss.  They stood behind the trailer and corrected every issue, no questions asked.  That is very unusual with todays companies.  With today's trailer,car, and etc. companies they all try to put the blame on the customer and you literally have to fight with them to admit a problem before they will even try to fix it or heaven forbid cover it under warranty. I am very tickled with my trailer.  For what you get with Exiss you can't beat it. They did what was right for me and it was not all about the money. This sucker is nice........

Want to thank Don and Mr. Trailer. They have a very happy customer.

arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-23 2:50 AM (#48978 - in reply to #48068)

Veteran

You were smart to share your issue with the public. That is always a motivator for a company. In this case, they stepped up and did the right thing. It is a win-win situation. Enjoy your trailer.

PS: The rain we are experiencing in KY right now would put any trailer to the test.

Reg. Dec 1899
Posted 2006-09-25 1:52 PM (#49095 - in reply to #48978)

Spooler, I am glad you are happy with your trailer!  It is VERY nice!  Beautiful package inside!  Please let me know if you need anything else.  You & I discussed the cause of the leak on private email, but I think, in that it was first discussed in this public forum, I have a responsibility, in fairness to everyone, to advise all that are interested as to what the actual cause was.  On inspection of the roof of the trailer, I found the top of the refrigerator vent had been torn off by some external force.  Most likely a low hanging limb, or maybe a large bird.  Something that was substantial enough to knock it off, leaving a 8" by 18" hole in the top thru which a lot of water could pass.  This was fresh done, that is to say within the last few days, and there is likely no way whoever it happened with would have known it had even happened.  There was no sign of internal water damage, so I know it could not have been done long.  It was not the fault of the trailer manufacturer, nor the LQ installer in any way, though they took a public beating for it.  It was not even a warranty issue, as it was obvious that external force caused it.  Of course this is not to say a good dealer would have hesitated to fix it.  I would have fixed it anyway, immediately, whether or not it had been aired on this forum, if I had just known about it.  In this case, my shop, my driver, Exiss, and Sierra stepped right up, fixed the problem, and never even asked if it was really a warranty issue.  Exiss and Sierra are both good at that, as is all the other manufacturers I currently do business with, or have done business with in the past. This is the level of service I think my customers should expect.  Some dealers may think this is above & beyond the call, but it is not.  The only truly "beyond the call" service in this deal was paying the substantial freight bill to pick up & deliver the trailer some 650 miles.  That cost is not covered under any warranty.  I just consider it one of the "costs of doing business".  I appreciate the opportunity to have helped solve the problems, and to set the record straight.  Thanks, DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.      
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-25 6:23 PM (#49113 - in reply to #49095)

Expert

Originally written by Dixie Horse & Mule C on 2006-09-25 12:52 PM

The only truly "beyond the call" service in this deal was paying the substantial freight bill to pick up & deliver the trailer some 650 miles.  That cost is not covered under any warranty.  I just consider it one of the "costs of doing business".  I appreciate the opportunity to have helped solve the problems, and to set the record straight.  Thanks, DON SMITH, OWNER, DIXIE HORSE & MULE CO.      

As the "what goes around, comes around" gets to you I hope the goodness is multiplied for you. 

I've followed this thread since the begining.  Somewhere I remember the selling dealer getting a pass on their part of the original bad karma.  Seems to me that selling dealer should have investigated the problem before calling Exiss.  They would have found the obvious problem. 

Spooler:  did the selling dealer look at the trailer?

650 miles at $1.50 per mile is $975.  I'd consider that a serious chunk of change.  None of the trailer dealers I've ever dealt with, would give away an air conditioner.

Spooler
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-09-25 8:10 PM (#49120 - in reply to #48068)

Extreme Veteran

I don't want to get into anything else on the forum.  In my mind Don, Exiss, and Sierra did what needed to be done and fixed the trailer quickly & properly. I am very happy and hope the feeling is mutual. Don is a standup guy and I would suggest you do business with him. Great Service that is hard to find these days.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-26 7:32 AM (#49129 - in reply to #48135)

Expert

Originally written by Darwinsdata on 2006-09-08 12:42 PM

I believe that out of thousands of trailers sold each year in the US, the relative amount of complaints are very low. Exiss brand (which I am a very proud owner of), sells the most trailers of every brand out there (or so my research has found), therefore the complaints (just in the number of trailers sold) would be higher. Simple mathematics. If the largest manufacture was another brand, I think you'd find the same to be true of that brand. I literally looked at hundreds of trailers prior to making a final decision, Exiss, hands down, was the most trailer for the least money. IMHO, it is the responsibility of the dealer to scrutinize every trailer that goes out their door. Many of the issues adressed by the writer of this initial post are things that should have been caught by a competent staff prior to the delivery of the trailer to the customer. My trailer - Exiss My Dealer - Dixie Horse and Mule Problems I have had - 0 My Reaons- Value, service after the sale, and a dedicated staff Not having to worry about my trailer - Priceless!!

Yes, "the numbers", "the statistics", etc. make more = make more defects ?

NO !
The point of quality management, if you're going to produce quantity you HAVE TO produce quality. The PROCESS has to be a lot less capable of producing defects, etc. Just can't afford to "inspect" every ball in every ballbearing for roundness. Can't afford to seek out and correct defective parts.

Not "quality control", not "gonna get a lemon once in a while".

{set quality preach mode off}
(-:
SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-09-26 9:34 AM (#49132 - in reply to #49095)

Elite Veteran

" On inspection of the roof of the trailer, I found the top of the refrigerator vent had been torn off by some external force.  Most likely a low hanging limb, or maybe a large bird.  Something that was substantial enough to knock it off, leaving a 8" by 18" hole in the top thru which a lot of water could pass.  This was fresh done, that is to say within the last few days, and there is likely no way whoever it happened with would have known it had even happened."

Moral of the story....if you get a leak get a ladder and take a look!

We all travel by things that can do this so it may be a good Idea to take a look up top anytime We come back from a trip,just for PM.Glad you got er fixed and everyone shared their opinion.

We learn from others mistakes and problems.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-09-26 10:08 PM (#49172 - in reply to #49132)

Expert

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-09-26 8:34 AM

+1    distilled this whole thread into two lines.  Well said...

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-09-27 7:17 AM (#49199 - in reply to #49172)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2006-09-26 10:08 PM

Originally written by SLICKRNSNOT on 2006-09-26 8:34 AM

+1    distilled this whole thread into two lines.  Well said...

Lets see here, This thread put Exiss in a bad light.

Sierra LQ's in a bad light

A local dealer in a bad light.

Don at Dixie put his own $$$$ up to stop the bad press.

Bottom line someone tore the fridge vent off the roof. No Warranty Issue. No Bad Lights Needed.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)