'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What is the mark UP on a New trailer?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-28 5:12 PM
17 replies, 7591 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-08-20 9:59 AM (#46969)
Subject: What is the mark UP on a New trailer?

I'm looking at buying a new horse alum trailer What is the mark up on a trailer? or is that a tabu question? I buy a new truck every 3 years and I kinda know where I need to start my dealing price, But I haven't a clue on a new horse trailer. Thanks Mary
Looking for a 2 h LQ Alum around 30' over all. Have a 00 4 star 3 h gn 6' sw for sale.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
bocephusrequest
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-20 8:45 PM (#47012 - in reply to #46969)
Subject: RE: What is the mark UP on a New trailer?

find out what kind of trailer it is you want, brand name, model number .....at a dealer, then look for that same trailer online used, one or two years, and you'll get an idea of how much they depriciate, then you'll have a ballpark figure of their actually value, give or take... and see what kind of deal you can make... the more expensive the trailer, the more mark up of course.. these dealers can drop thousands off of a trailer they want to move..
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-20 10:45 PM (#47017 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

Is your trailer listed on this site?
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-08-20 10:58 PM (#47019 - in reply to #46969)

Expert

Unlike Trucks, Trailers are not required to have a window sticker.

One dealer may have a huge mark up and another may have a very reasonable mark up. Unlike Ford or Chevy that has adealer in every town, there is probably not 3 trailer dealers selling the same brands with in a short drive of you home. It is more difficult to comparison shop.  The internet will help.  You can see what dealers in other states are selling similar trailers for.

marym
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-08-21 12:24 AM (#47024 - in reply to #47017)

Hi, yes it is here is the link. Thanks http://www.horsetrailerworld.com/home/trailerdetail.asp?ID=89664 
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-21 10:32 AM (#47055 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

Hey there, Mary, 

I felt Jane S boyfriend got a real reasonable price on his.  Seems like new trailers with finished lq are 50k range and used around 40k.  That is what I have been seeing in trailers on the 4 stars, elites, sundowners ect..   I think Jane had said her boyfriend found his on the internet somewheres for 35k.  I really like his trailer.  It was really nice inside too. 

I have been looking for a used fairly new 5 horse or custom ordering a trailer to put my carriage and a horse in.  Was looking at ordering a finished one.. with the custom order I can't afford that so it would probably end up being ordered unfinished and we will have to  eventually finish or if I find a 5 horse that has a dressing room about the same as what I currently have.  Now with the death of my youngest son it doesn't seem like I need as much room any more. 

The hard part is finding a buyer for my current trailer.  It sucks for the dealer sees it as a trailer that isn't finished and they give me a trade in value as that.  I feel my hubby did a pretty good job in it for I feel it looks the same or if not nicer then some of the professional companies that I have seen.  Every time I ask a dealer what it would go for they ask me if it has a fridge, heat, air, bathroom ect..  I do have the fridge, air, and heat from a camper that I was gonna put in there but we have been holding off because of the extra work envolved.  I guess if we would get considerably more then we would put some more work into it.  The sad thing is that the dealer will tell you a low price to buy from you and then they resell it for the price or more that you are thinking it should sell at.

bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-08-21 2:02 PM (#47075 - in reply to #47055)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by nd deb on 2006-08-21 10:32 AM

Hey there, Mary, 

I felt Jane S boyfriend got a real reasonable price on his.  Seems like new trailers with finished lq are 50k range and used around 40k.  That is what I have been seeing in trailers on the 4 stars, elites, sundowners ect..   I think Jane had said her boyfriend found his on the internet somewheres for 35k.  I really like his trailer.  It was really nice inside too. 

I have been looking for a used fairly new 5 horse or custom ordering a trailer to put my carriage and a horse in.  Was looking at ordering a finished one.. with the custom order I can't afford that so it would probably end up being ordered unfinished and we will have to  eventually finish or if I find a 5 horse that has a dressing room about the same as what I currently have.  Now with the death of my youngest son it doesn't seem like I need as much room any more. 

The hard part is finding a buyer for my current trailer.  It sucks for the dealer sees it as a trailer that isn't finished and they give me a trade in value as that.  I feel my hubby did a pretty good job in it for I feel it looks the same or if not nicer then some of the professional companies that I have seen.  Every time I ask a dealer what it would go for they ask me if it has a fridge, heat, air, bathroom ect..  I do have the fridge, air, and heat from a camper that I was gonna put in there but we have been holding off because of the extra work envolved.  I guess if we would get considerably more then we would put some more work into it.  The sad thing is that the dealer will tell you a low price to buy from you and then they resell it for the price or more that you are thinking it should sell at.

This makes me think of that show on TV where someone is trying to sell their house and a designer and a couple of carpenters come in and spend $2000 to fix it up. Then the homeowner makes alot more on the sale of the home. I never believe they really only spend $2000 on the projects, but it sure makes a big difference in the appearance of the home. I think this applies to anything worth more than $1000 your trying to sell. It has to be clean, neat and not have undesireable features unless your willing to price it to make it worth while for the buyer to finish it themselves. The last two LQ's I bought were used. They were very clean, good first impression, and everything was working. I didn't have to do anything, just move in. (But I did not my own cleaning :-) ) I made sure that the last three trailers I sold (all sales from this site) were clean and everything was working, and promised I'd fix anything that wasn't working within 2 weeks. When your buying or selling something as valueble as a horsetrailer, you have to decide how much money you need to get out of it, and what your willing to do to make it worth that much in someone elses eyes. If your selling because something not finished, the buyer likely not buying for the same reason.

When I sold my second gooseneck, Exiss 3 horse, 8ft LQ, I was able to sell it here for twice as much as the Exiss dealer was willing to give me in trade. The dealer has to make a living, but I decided not to help him out that time. :-) My first GH trailer, I just really wanted the second GN right away, so I traded it, and felt like I did ok.

I guess it all about how much time, effort & money your willing to put in to meet your goals, and everyone's different.

-Betty

Edited by bjhouten 2006-08-21 2:07 PM
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-21 2:35 PM (#47078 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

I agree with Betty. I can only afford to buy used trailers but I very carefully select which ones I buy. I couldn't buy anything that is not already completed because I don't know how to complete a living quarters and I would spend a lot of money trying to get someone to do it for me. I would rather have it ready for me to take over and start enjoying.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-22 4:15 PM (#47151 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

As I have looked at trailers recently, I have noticed some changes from '97 when mine was built and not all of them seem for the better. There aren't any running boards on the sides. I would think that those would protect the trailer if it is hit from the side.

The cabinets in most LQ's seem to be almost a plywood simualtion of Oak. I think that my cabinets are oak. Many of the latches seem to be plastic where mine are metal. The rubber on the walls inside the stall area seems to be so thin where mine seems to be thicker.

Am I the only one who notices these changes?

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-22 4:18 PM (#47152 - in reply to #46969)

Elite Veteran

Cheap and in China are the words of the day.
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-08-22 10:26 PM (#47174 - in reply to #47151)

Veteran

Originally written by arlene21 on 2006-08-22 4:15 PM

As I have looked at trailers recently, I have noticed some changes from '97 when mine was built and not all of them seem for the better. There aren't any running boards on the sides. I would think that those would protect the trailer if it is hit from the side.

The cabinets in most LQ's seem to be almost a plywood simualtion of Oak. I think that my cabinets are oak. Many of the latches seem to be plastic where mine are metal. The rubber on the walls inside the stall area seems to be so thin where mine seems to be thicker.

Am I the only one who notices these changes?

Yeah, I have noticed that too.  Some of the trailer brands that I really liked a few yrs ago look real cheap now in their newer models. 

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-08-24 7:06 AM (#47295 - in reply to #46969)

Expert

New era of cheapness in everything.You can pull the vin number and model number of a new trailer,call the manufacture direct and by law they will giveyou the MSRP on that unit.No need to even mention what dealer etc.Most give MSRP willingly and with no issues.SOONER told me this a few years ago and I have done it a few times.I complained about NO window sticker and called Sooner.(ads that say SAVE THOUSANDS with NO PRICE)Front desk said No problem just always get the numbers and call ANY of the manufactures and get the Suggested MSRP for a guideline.HARLEY'S are the same way.All the BIKES have a MSRP from Harley etc.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-24 7:51 AM (#47297 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

That wouldn't be applicable if the owner's bought a shell and had the LQ constructed by someone other than the manufacturer, right?

Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-08-24 7:58 AM (#47299 - in reply to #47297)

Edited by Diamond D Shane 2006-08-24 8:01 AM
Diamond D Shane
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-08-24 8:01 AM (#47300 - in reply to #47295)

Originally written by hounddog on 2006-08-24 8:06 AM

New era of cheapness in everything.You can pull the vin number and model number of a new trailer,call the manufacture direct and by law they will giveyou the MSRP on that unit.No need to even mention what dealer etc.Most give MSRP willingly and with no issues.SOONER told me this a few years ago and I have done it a few times.I complained about NO window sticker and called Sooner.(ads that say SAVE THOUSANDS with NO PRICE)Front desk said No problem just always get the numbers and call ANY of the manufactures and get the Suggested MSRP for a guideline.HARLEY'S are the same way.All the BIKES have a MSRP from Harley etc.

I have worked for both a manufacturer and currently in retail trailer sales.  while a manufacturer may give you this info with no problems it may or may not be accurate depending on what kind of trailer it is (custom build or standard model w/lq or wo/lq, who did the lq the dealer or the manufacturer) also there is no law that says they have to give you any info.  they can simply tell you to contact your selling dealer for more info.

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-08-24 9:06 AM (#47303 - in reply to #46969)

Expert

O course if living qtrs were installed after eleswhere would alter this and any other add ons.But its a start and lots of folks don't buy living qtrs.Sooner rep at sooner said its REQUIRED to "disclose" a MSRP on each and every vin/model number.If your a DEALER I will say the SAVE THOUSANDS off of WHAT ads I just skip over.I don't EVEN bother to read them.No differant then the $1 ones showing up.I even skip that DEALER period and move on to another.from a previous post on that subject I'm NOT the only one that does such.Shoot your selves in the foot.
dvdhufprint
Reg. Jul 2006
Posted 2006-08-28 3:50 PM (#47528 - in reply to #47055)

New User

Just thought I would jump in on the mark up on trailers especially the living quarters.  Just bought a used 04 3 horse Eby for around 30k.  Before we bought it we wanted to see what the exact same trailer would be in an 07.  How does 55k sound.  I could not believe it.  Said the price of aluminum has gone up 2x in the past 2 years.  Don't get me wrong I am very very happy with my new trailer but I guess the bottom line on these things is what the consumer is willing to pay.
arlene21
Reg. Aug 2006
Posted 2006-08-28 5:12 PM (#47532 - in reply to #46969)

Veteran

I knew that the  07 were going to be about 7% higher just on the shell. I just bought an 04 4-Star for 40. It is a 22' loaded with everything and nicely done. Compared to the new trailers I had looked at it is much better built. Considering trucks cost around 50k, I am not sure I can afford my hobby. I may have to take up knitting.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)