'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need some tips on insulating curved part of roof

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-08-17 9:07 AM
10 replies, 4932 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-17 11:06 AM (#40543)
Subject: Need some tips on insulating curved part of roof

Veteran

I have an old 93 Cornpro gooseneck that I'm insulating and paneling the dressing room area. There are braces I have been able to use for putting in insulation, furring strips and then ceiling material in about 3/4 of the roof. But the front part of the gooseneck is the old round style, and not only curves around at the front, but down as well. There are no braces in the roof in this area, or anywhere to attach furring strips. What is the best kind of insulation for this area, and best way to attach it? Should I just glue it? If so, what kind of glue won't melt in the heat? I also can't figure out how to attach ceiling material in this area, since I can't put in any furring strips because this area is smooth, with no braces. Any help would be appreciated...everything else went like clockwork...this is really stumping me!

PS: I looked at other's websites, but everyone seems to have nice vertical braces running down the front of the gooseneck and gooseneck ceiling to stick insulation in, and to attach furring strips...I don't have those.

Edited by Flooper 2006-04-17 11:12 AM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-17 12:39 PM (#40547 - in reply to #40543)
Subject: RE: Need some tips on insulating curved part of roof

Expert

I've looked at the (semi) rigid pink foam boards at home despot.
I think they're bendy enough for most trailer roofs, though I think you are asking for something that can bend into compound curves ?
We did something in lo skool geometry and/or geography on that, how to make a flat map of a spherical globe (and politically how to make your country appear relatively bigger than it really is).
Some_name projection - look it up (-:
If you can solve the other part of your question, you might be able to pour plastic foam packing "worms" in there. Another possibility is spray in place foam, another packing material that is also used in the building trades.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-17 1:20 PM (#40552 - in reply to #40543)

Elite Veteran

Maybe you can just not fight the curves? Could you run something for support from side to side and insulate between it and the roof, sort of making a suspended ceiling of it?
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 2:33 PM (#40557 - in reply to #40552)

Extreme Veteran

Flooper, I have pondered the same thing.  I have bracing that forms the radius at the top of the nose wall of the trailer, below the curved piece.  I also have a brace that makes the radius where the roof meets the curved piece.  I was planning to attach furring strips to those braces.  If you don’t have those braces, could you attach a piece of wood to the back of the paneling used for the floor and ceiling, and attach the corner paneling to that?  What I was going to do is cut a piece of paneling in a rainbow shape.  That piece would be fastened in the corner, so it would be at a 45 degree angle to the wall and the ceiling.  I have figured out, mathematically, what dimensions this corner piece should be, but I have yet to actually cut it out and try to install it.  I think I would cut it out of heavy paper or thin cardboard, first, to see if it fits.  If not, I can make a template out of it.  I will try to get some drawings to show what I have described here.  If you need help with the math, I could do that.  I would need some dimensions.

Terri S, Good idea.  There is no reason the ceiling has to be right up against the roof of the trailer.  The only thing is, a lot of these steel trailers have a pretty large curved area at the top.  I think a false ceiling would result in too much lost space for me.

Dawnya
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-17 2:33 PM (#40558 - in reply to #40543)

Extreme Veteran

We used that soft silver insulation.  Looks like bubble wrap but silver, like they put in pizza delivery bags.

Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-17 2:45 PM (#40560 - in reply to #40543)

Veteran

Hey thanks for the ideas everybody. Terri...I never thought of a suspended ceiling type of thing...that just might work...I'm gonna go out and sit in the trailer tonight and maybe mock it up with cardboard to see how much space I loose. JD--I have gotten the insulation (I just got some bendable 1/2" styrofoam) put in on the radius of the wall portion in front and around sides--I just cut some of the bendable styrofoam and have it stuck in there for now...haven't glued it or anything--so all I have left is a bit of the roof where it curves down to the sides and to the front (and those pesky "round" corners). I may just use the silver stuff Dawnya was talking about for that small part of the ceiling--and just leave it insulated and not finished off with the ceiling panels I've put over the rest of roof insulation. Reg...I know what you're talking about with the map thing--I didn't do well with it in school!!! so better not try it with my trailer.
Flooper
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2006-04-17 3:52 PM (#40568 - in reply to #40543)

Veteran

Here's what it looks like

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 4:57 PM (#40576 - in reply to #40568)

Extreme Veteran

Flooper, your picture clarified it.  Yeah, that is not the same as mine.  I am not sure how you would finish that one off with panels.
spinnin and grinnin
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-04-17 6:33 PM (#40583 - in reply to #40543)

There is also a product that is like a flexibile piano keys covering that we used in the curved area of a steel trailer that works wonderful. It is the same type of product that would be used to go around a large tube, flexes either way and is gorgeous. It's hard to describe but will bend to any degree and would attach with a good adhesive. If you have any questions, send me an email and I can describe it further....great product that I haven't seen many use. Ours was really nice.
Rockinghorserun
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-08-16 9:13 PM (#46786 - in reply to #40568)

Veteran

We had a 2 horse gooseneck that we insulated and it had the nose cap like yours. What we ended up doing was insulating the nose curve with the flexible insulation and putting a shelf sitting on the square tubing. We stored extra bedding and pillows up there.  You never really noticed the insulation. 

SLICKRNSNOT
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-08-17 9:07 AM (#46808 - in reply to #40543)

Elite Veteran

In my other trailer I had the same problem.I went and purchased some insulation from the auto parts store.It has silver reflective material on one side and blanket like fiber on the other.I used automotive spray contact adhesive to glue it in place.

It stayed up real well, was 4 years old when I traded in My trailer.

I think home depot sells it also in a roll, might be cheaper than auto store.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)