'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need suggestions for those who have traveled cross country

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-06-24 6:36 AM
5 replies, 2852 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

birdsong
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-23 7:43 AM (#43501)
Subject: Need suggestions for those who have traveled cross country

(cross posted from the trail forum)

Subject : Traveling from S. Fl - Denver, Tips please
Posted : 2006-06-23 7:33 AM
Post #43500

So wondered if there were any places along my route fairly close that others know of that I might regret missing.  My trip driving alone will be 4 days unless I layover a day or so for R&R....figured why not!!?? a little concerned about pooping out 1/2 way..actually a lot concerned...try scared

My path will take me from here toward Atlanta -Nashville-southern tip of KY and Illinois over to St Louis and then due west to Denver. I would have posted this sooner but just found my password I'm leaving Fl this Sat to Ga where I will pull out again Monday morning 6/26. 

Any comments would be so appreciated...and tips for trailer safety also from the more experienced out there....also what about equine medical facilities along the way such as Universities with equine care..anyone know?? What would I do if Coal has a problem??

Er...haven't had as much planning time as I would have hoped for but did get a few bases covered...US Rider road service..better cell phone coverage...taking 2 spare tires for...water from home and electrolytes....

Thanks in advance for your help..

Deb in Fl who at "coming" 55 (7/02) has decided to "go find herself"...and experience one of her dreams....teehee Send all your prayes for Sanity & Safety

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-06-23 9:07 AM (#43511 - in reply to #43501)
Subject: RE: Need suggestions for those who have traveled cross country

Expert

Do you have something to sleep in or will you be looking for sleeping quaters for yourself also? Lots of trail-rides Camps in Mo., One not to far from Nashville, Google Horse and Mule trails for overnight accomidations between you and there. Good Luck and have a Safe Trip.
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-06-23 9:17 AM (#43512 - in reply to #43501)

There is a lovely horse motel west of St. Louis;  their email is hmooney@ktis.net  We stayed there one time when picking up a colt and it was just great.  I found them thru horsemotels.com

Happy and safe trails.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-23 10:37 AM (#43517 - in reply to #43501)

Elite Veteran

If you travel I70 through Kansas there is a veterinary college at Manhattan that would be easily accessible if (God forbid) you would need it. Prepare for long stretches of open road and not that many places to stop between Kansas City and Denver. Or rather, plenty of places for fuel, but not many tourist-y things along the way. Denver is a really fun place to drive a horse trailer! I moved cross country from Washington State to Kansas but the amenities were quite a bit more primitive 30 years ago. Have fun. Be safe.
birdsong
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-06-23 5:01 PM (#43525 - in reply to #43501)

OK so here's the plan so far..still have not heard from the horse motels I emailed though   Our 2nd night will be in Anna, Il  about 8 hours from central Ga. and before St. Louis ..that will put me going through SL before rush hour the next day.

3rd night in Junction City Kansas after another 8 hour stretch and then 7-8 more to Denver day 4.  (ugh)

Thanks for the suggestions.  I prefer staying in my trailer if I can get electric hook up. I understand there is a riding area (some forested areawhose name I don't recall) in the s. tip of Illinois...might check that out.  I'm not too keen on getting too far off the beaten path as miles are simply my nightmare....understand that to read..."I hate driving!!!" Guess you can't have an adventure though without miles to go and stories to tell when its done!!

Thanks again all. 

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-06-24 6:36 AM (#43537 - in reply to #43501)

Elite Veteran

Junction City is pretty close to Abilene, which has stockyards (can't tell you who to contact though), might put that in your Plan B file. Either place is sure to have some overnight stabling. Have some friends in Abilene, can check for info for you if it would help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)