'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Problem with brakes surging

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-23 8:31 AM
4 replies, 3249 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

poco5
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-22 8:59 PM (#42121)
Subject: Problem with brakes surging

New User

I have a 1999 Ford F350, dually, and pull a 2005 Exiss 414 trailer.  The problem is that occasionally when I apply the brakes, the whole vehicle will shake and surge violently like the brakes are locking on and off rapidly.  This seems to be happening more and more all the time.  I have a hard time getting stopped when this happens because it doesn't seem to give me much braking power and it shakes so violently that I have almost ran through some stop signs and lights not being able to get stopped.  I have tried to reach down and make adjustments on the brake control by hand, but the vehicle surges so violently that I cannot get a hold of it to make adjustments.  The one time that I managed to manually apply the brakes through the brake control after letting off the brake pedal, it seemed to stop surging.  I have called a couple of trailer dealers and they have suggested maybe a new brake control would solve my problem, but they really have no idea what might be causing it for sure.  My trailer brake control is at least 15 years old.  I don't know if it is the truck or the trailer causing the problem; however, I have also pulled a 1996 stock trailer and have no difficulties when stopping.  I need to do something before it causes me to get into a serious accident, but no one that I have contacted seems to have any idea how to fix it.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
arroyoseccofarm
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 9:41 PM (#42124 - in reply to #42121)
Subject: RE: Problem with brakes surging

Veteran

Uhhhh, if it were me and if the truck seems to brake just fine without the trailer I would start by replacing that fifteen year old brake controller.  The next thing I would do is go straight to the dealer of that practically new trailer and ask them to inspect the brakes.
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-22 10:26 PM (#42129 - in reply to #42121)

Expert

Originally written by poco5 on 2006-05-22 9:59 PM

I have a 1999 Ford F350, dually, and pull a 2005 Exiss 414 trailer. The problem is that occasionally when I apply the brakes, the whole vehicle will shake and surge violently like the brakes are locking on and off rapidly. This seems to be happening more and more all the time. I have a hard time getting stopped when this happens because it doesn't seem to give me much braking power and it shakes so violently that I have almost ran through some stop signs and lights not being able to get stopped. I have tried to reach down and make adjustments on the brake control by hand, but the vehicle surges so violently that I cannot get a hold of it to make adjustments. The one time that I managed to manually apply the brakes through the brake control after letting off the brake pedal, it seemed to stop surging. I have called a couple of trailer dealers and they have suggested maybe a new brake control would solve my problem, but they really have no idea what might be causing it for sure. My trailer brake control is at least 15 years old. I don't know if it is the truck or the trailer causing the problem; however, I have also pulled a 1996 stock trailer and have no difficulties when stopping. I need to do something before it causes me to get into a serious accident, but no one that I have contacted seems to have any idea how to fix it.

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.
You seem to have eliminated the truck and brake controller as suspects by pulling the '96 stock trailer and stopping it. So, ummm, what's left ?

Ahhh, the '05 Exiss {how many Xs and Ss ?}
It sounds like GRABBY brakes, if it is only when cold or has been standing for a while in wet weather try warming them up (and drying them out), i.e. from a stop apply the brakes with the manual controller, put the truck in gear, release the truck's brake, give it a little bit of accellerator, gently release the trailer brakes a bit until you are rolling, apply trailer brakes, release, etc until things smooth out. If that doesn't work get the brakes looked at, it could be almost anything, mechanical or electrical.
xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-05-22 11:55 PM (#42139 - in reply to #42121)

Extreme Veteran

I have a perfectly good 15 year old brake controller for a spare! I bought a new trailer and had a weak brake issue. The dealer said it must be the controller....That was an easy fix...plop down a $100.00 and see what happens...well now I have 2 good controllers and bad trailer brakes....they fixed them but the point was it wasn't the controller and it worked fine with my other trailer. I would basically do what Reg said. Play with it using manual activation and see how they behave. The older controllers you have to adjust the pendulum(sp) for the angle the controller is mounted at. You might get out the manual and check that out. They sound like they are over reacting a bit. Mine on cold wet days will leave tire ditches getting out of the gravel driveway if I even think brakes .....then they work great.   

Edited by xyzer 2006-05-22 11:58 PM
bonniejf
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-05-23 8:31 AM (#42143 - in reply to #42121)

Regular

When I bought my 2002 Cherokee in February, I had a lot of brake problems.  It would feel like the brakes were intermittently grabbing and letting go and made for some hair-raising stops.  I discovered that the ground stud in the plug in my truck bed had been pushed back and wasn't making a good connection.  So, the brakes were getting power only intermittently.  After I replaced that, things were still not quite right with the lights, etc. on the trailer.  So I began looking at the pigtail on the trailer.  It looked like something you'd find on a trailer that was 20 years old it was so corroded.  So, I replaced the end.  Now, some of my running lights still won't work, but all the important lights do.  The brakes work like they should now and don't stand my poor gelding up on his head when I stop.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)