'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Poll ear clipping

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-26 3:46 PM
5 replies, 3515 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

foxhunt
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-13 11:05 AM (#41661)
Subject: ear clipping

We have a now 9 year old mare that is a quarter horse and a top notch show girl. She must have had a bad experience with getting her ears clipped BEFORE we ever got her as a 3 y.o. She has a huge scar on her poll. We have done everything that you can imagine to get her ears done without twitching her, but every time we have to go to a twitch. About two weeks ago when we took her to the trainer for a lesson I asked him what we could do. he siad he would clip her ears. he put a "war Bridle" on her and within minutes her ears were done. Where in Gods name can I get one? has anyone ever seen one. I have tried to do a search and I come up with civil war, world war one or two, but no such thing as a war bridle. She is also bad with the Vet too. I'm thinking this might be the answer. Any one out think that they can help Please do so. I have two bad shoulders and I just can't hold that twitch anymore.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-05-13 11:15 AM (#41662 - in reply to #41661)
Subject: RE: ear clipping

Expert

Did you see  War Bridle?  Can you describe what it looked like?

To me that has always been a make shift bridle made from rope twisted and knoted.

I have a friend who is big into Parreli. He prides himself on taking a horse (usually at 4H or horseshows) and within minutes in front of their owners teaching them to lower their head and accept a bridle. No more reaching or fighting to get a bridle on.

The lesson being that sometimes it not that the horse has had a bad experience, but rather that it has learned it can get away  not cooperating. When somebody steps up and lets the horse know they won't put up with it's crap, they shape up real quick. In other words, don't worry about finding a special peice of bridle, but rather learn the technique he used.

mingiz
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2006-05-13 12:14 PM (#41665 - in reply to #41661)

Elite Veteran

Here s a site showing a war bridle which to me looks like an old fashion rope halter.

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/pr_eyas/training.htm

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-05-14 8:30 AM (#41682 - in reply to #41661)

Expert

I have used war bridles for years and have recommended them for many things on this site. Unfortunately, most people tend to cringe when you mention "war bridle" because they think it is some form of horse torture. It is not! I have used it on bad loaders, horses that wouldn't come off a trailer, horses that would try to run off when being longed, horses that put their heads up when being bridled, showmanship horses, and horses that just needed major lessons in manners. It is fantastic! The trick to using them is to make sure it is placed on the horse correctly and snug fitting, not super tight but just so it doens't fall off. You can use a halter under it as long as the lariat is actually touching the skin and not placed over the halter. The web site that was provided shows how it should be put on. I usuaaly put the hondo loop on the off side and keep the rope slack on the left side unless I am longing or something. You don't need a new lariat and a shorter, maybe 8 -10' one is better than a super long one, unless you intend to longe them in it. I do recommend wearing leather gloves because rope burns can happen with obnoxious horses. THe key to war bridle training is consistency and release. After placing the war bridle on the horses head, stand to the side and apply slow but frim pressure in a downward manner. The horse will most likely respond by trying to raise his head but don't give in and don't jerk on the rope. Just keep pulling downward until the horse gives a bit, even if it is only a 1/2", then immediately release your pull and praise with a "good boy" and a neck pat. Then do it again and again until they drop faster and easier without any resistance. Some horses learn this quickly but I had one horse that I actually just about sat on the rope for 15 minutes to put enough pressure on it to get him to respond! He was very extreme but once he dropped a 1/2", he had it figured out and he was perfect! After they learn the downward pressure, lead them around with it and accept no resistance on the lariat. They learn great ground manners this way! BTW, once they know the war bridle, they will drop their heads for bridling with just a touch of your finger tips on their polls.
Dunoir
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-16 7:10 AM (#41770 - in reply to #41661)

Elite Veteran

Back in the 60's I had a horse that wouldn't load and took him to a trainer that used a war bridle to teach him to load.  It worked and he showed me how to make one up with rope and I did need to use it a few times at first to get him to load.  Since then I have used one on occassion with a horse that wouldn't load and it worked every time. 

foxhunt
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-26 3:46 PM (#42300 - in reply to #41661)

You guys are all great. I haven't been able to get on to see all the posting b/c my computerdied we are up and running now. I am going to try these ideas and see what happens. The Bridle that Brad used almost looked like a cavesson, but I know it wasn't. When the horse went to rear, the one guy just pulled on it and she just backed up instead until she gave then he let up. I know how the give and take thing works. We have been training horses and winning for years, but this mare is a challenge and I don't understand why nothing is working to get her to accept ears and vets. it isn't like we have ever abused her and we don't let her get away with anything either. We always win the battle we just can't stop the war.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)