'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Is there such a thing as too much hay?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-21 2:37 PM
13 replies, 4820 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-08 8:58 PM (#41471)
Subject: Is there such a thing as too much hay?

Veteran

I had horses as a kid until I left for college and now 20+ years later, I've purchased a 9-yr Appendix QH mare, as an adult. I've learned very quickly it's much more difficult owning a horse as an adult than as a kid. All the decisions to make (just like a new parent) can be overwhelming.My horse is fed 3-4 flakes of hay twice a day as well as feed twice a day. At her previous home, she was accustomed to a very green pasture for grazing. The barn where we board is fairly new and the pasture has very little, if any, vegitation/grass. The barn owner just told me that he's got some of those huge round bales of hay coming. He plans to put hay in the pasture in one of those "feeders" so that the horses don't lay in, etc, in the hay. Can a horse over-eat, get too much hay? I am of the impression that a horse will eat all that it can. Am I correct? Should I be concerned about the possiblity of unlimited access to hay while turned out?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 9:33 PM (#41472 - in reply to #41471)
Subject: RE: Is there such a thing as too much hay?

Elite Veteran

It depends somewhat on the kind of hay they're being fed. My pasture in Kansas is usually only fair to poor so my horses get prairie hay pretty much free choice. They generally stop eating hay about May and in good years with plenty of rain I don't have to feed again until about November but they let me know.
Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 10:44 PM (#41476 - in reply to #41471)

Regular

Free choice hay is considered healthy for a horse's digestion.  Quality of the hay is important - sometimes round bales can be dusty if they are not managed properly, at least it's true in my part of the country.

One thing to consider is how many horses to a feeder.  For a large herd, dominant horses may keep the meek away.  Then multiple feeders may be needed.  I had an elderly horse for the last few years of his life who could not stand up to the herd bosses and needed different feeding arrangements.

mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-08 11:38 PM (#41479 - in reply to #41471)

Extreme Veteran

Everyone has given pretty much the same good advice.  Check the quality of the hay.  The only thing you might see is the horse get a "hay belly" from eating like a pig!  We feed round and square bales here.  The brood mares get the round bales and a couple square bales of rich alfalfa.  We have 5 mares to a pasture with 1 round bale, and we toss 1 bale of alfalfa in (1/2 in the morning and 1/2 at night).  We have thoroughbreds which require a higher percentage protien in the hay and grain as they have higher metabolisms.  Our QH and Paint mare in the other pasture has a real nice alfalfa mix round bale.  Our paint mare is fatter than a stuck pig!  She looks like a beer keg on hooves.  She will stand at that darn feeder and eat 20 hrs out of a 24 hr day.  The vet said she is healthy and eating for 2.  She is getting lots of fiber that is for sure!  I was exaggerating about the 20 hrs. but it seems like it at times. 

Just make sure your horse gets plenty of excersise.  If the hay is dusty or moldy say something.  They work for you!  The hay should have a sweet smell to it, not dusty or musty smell.  When you shake it the leaves should fall gently and it should not be stemmy.  Stemmy hay means they waited too long to cut it.  It is harder for the horses to eat and causes mouth ulcers from where it pokes them.   I will have to look up the website I used for my 4-H kids parents.  I sent it home with them to show them what good hay should look like.  I think it is the United States Dept of Ag that had it listed.   Since you board, they work for you.  If you aren't happy with the feed, say something.  It is your horses health!!

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-09 3:34 AM (#41480 - in reply to #41471)

Expert

It seems you all feed LOTS more hay then I do.(years back had a few OLDER horseman mention that I fed WAY too much hay and explained they like to keep a horse a LITTLE hungry to insure good hay clean up and usage)My few stalled and dry lotted horses get ONE FAT or TWO skinny leafs of hay twice a day.They pick every hay scrap there is.No left overs in there pens or stalls.I don't like round bales too much,lots of waste and mess as well as herd monsters keeping the young and old off them as well as finding QUALITY round bales in this area.Most is for cattle and lots of mositure,mold etc.I eaither throw leafs out with lots of space between horses or use my spreader to shred a bale as I pull it along.Then again no more hay until every scrap is gone. Once in a while I throw a little extra to the dry lotted/stalled  horses but only a little.

Edited by hounddog 2006-05-09 3:37 AM
efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-05-09 7:13 AM (#41484 - in reply to #41471)

Elite Veteran

I'm not going to argue with what works for anybody, but remember, a horse is a grazing animal. It was put on earth to roam and eat all day long when possible. Dry lots equal no foraging/eating. I personally would rather have the horse fat and happy than finding mischief to get into in my barn or barn lot. As to the question of whether a horse can eat itself to death, doubtful unless you are providing an endless source of straight alfalfa hay, which can cause these huge balls of undigested protein/hay in their digestive tracts. As a newbie, also remember that a horses need for protein is directly related to the work it performs. If the horse is going to be a moving painting, unridden but once in a great while very low protein diet is all thats necessary. Conversely, if your going to be utilizing it as a performance horse, working it daily, or trail riding it miles on end every week, higher protein diet is then necessary.
longearsrule
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-09 9:40 AM (#41493 - in reply to #41484)

Extreme Veteran

I use round bales thru the winter with a hay ring and have very little waste. I have 7 head and the bale would last right at a week depending on the weather. I want them to have something to eat 24/7, especially in the winter. Have good pasture in spring and summer, when we finally get rain, so I don't worry so much about hay then.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-09 1:03 PM (#41504 - in reply to #41471)

Expert

Mine are fat and happy. I just never fed as much hay as some of you mention.I understand about grazing fully.I use to feed the same way.Stopped more then a decade ago.I want it ALL cleaned up.Mine don't graze 27/7.Spend lots of time dozing and tail swishing.Stalled or dry lotted horses don't burn as much calories.I keep hay in front of them If trail riding(at night or on high lines)but not otherwise.
Lobo
Reg. Jun 2004
Posted 2006-05-11 11:34 AM (#41606 - in reply to #41471)

Regular

We have over 20 head and use round bales in round feeder's.  The horses have access to hay 24/7 in winter and pasture in the spring and summer.  They're grazing animal's and their gut never stops working.  So it need's something in there to work on. I also don't like to be able to count their rib's, so they're a little plump.
hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-11 12:01 PM (#41608 - in reply to #41471)

Expert

mine go into winter plump or fat really.By spring a little rib is showing.when feeding this A.M.a mare I'm breeding on frozen semen had some hay left and some scattered.I did NOT give her more.It was mostly  cleaned up when I just checked(12:45 p.m.) and cleand stalls again.Now she gets another leaf.
Candy girl
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-05-14 9:03 PM (#41714 - in reply to #41471)

Veteran

Thanks everyone. I feel better now knowing I was wrong about the possible overeating. It makes total sense now........even logic, now that I think about that was said.Thanks again!

Edited by Candy girl 2006-05-14 9:05 PM
3horses
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-19 4:50 PM (#41989 - in reply to #41471)

Forage is the basis of the equine diet. Horses should ingest 1.5% to 3% of their body wieght each day; at least half of their diet should be forage, such as hay or pasture grass. The stomach is very acidic and hay gives it a base, which neutralizes the acid.
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-05-21 10:57 AM (#42046 - in reply to #41471)

Expert

hay bellies are the result of horses eating stemmy, poorer quality hay rather than overeating.

Horses are grazing animals but remember that grass,especially in the spring, has a greater water content. So it take more grass to feed a horse than hay. It doesn't hurt a horses digestive system not be eating 24/7,espcially if they are eating good leafy hay- they are getting the nutritional value they need without eating so much they gain weight or dump the excess nutrients out the poop shoot. Personally, I don't feed round bales. I'd rather feed them according to needs.  

hounddog
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-05-21 2:37 PM (#42048 - in reply to #41471)

Expert

I agree.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World