'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
looking at new trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-05-18 8:49 AM
3 replies, 2517 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 8:58 AM (#41820)
Subject: looking at new trailer

have been looking at new trailers narrowed search down to two. Both sundowner 3H slant GN one has mangers, any comments on fitting large horse (16.3H draft cross wears 84 blanket) in slant w mangers, also your likes or dislikes of mangers thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-05-17 9:50 AM (#41826 - in reply to #41820)
Subject: RE: looking at new trailer

Expert

I'm a big fan of mangers(alltough my current trailer doesn't have them) But 16.3 and an 84 blanket you need all the room you can get, 16.3 is 67" that is 5' 7'' to your horses withers you should also have at least a 7'6'' tall trailer really leaning towards 8' tall alot of trailer problems are caused by not buying the right trailer. If you plan on keeping with the very large horses you should buy a trailer suitable for them. A horse that is 7' long will need an 8' wide trailer. Mangers won't really matter due to horses head and neck will be above them. The trailer hieght is what I see as important in your situation. A horse that tall if he/she pulls back in the trailer, or spooks at anything and throws their head up they will hit the roof in a 7'6" trailer. I had a great roping mare she was only 14.3 tall, but when she was backing out of trailer she would throw her head up when her leg would drop down. She would hit the roof of a 7' tall trailer, it eventually became a problem for her, I put a ramp on the trailer so her leg wasn't dropping down. The next trailer I bought was 7'6" tall just because of her.
Mary Heller
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-17 12:05 PM (#41833 - in reply to #41820)

New User

Hi,

I posted the note on the Sooner Revolution, trailer bought after MONTHS of looking for a suitable size for my 18.2hh Perch and my 17hh Perch/TB cross...  everyone I spoke to suggested with horses of this size, a X tall X long straight load was the way to go.  I couldn't agree more after watching one of my borders stuffing his 17.2hh Clyde into a reg. size slant load!!  I guess if you are a fan of the slant load, you will need to get the X wide and X tall for your horse to haul comfortably.  An ordinary size will work, of course, but how good is it for your horse to be crammed in there?  Probably not. JMHO

S Farmer
Reg. May 2006
Posted 2006-05-18 8:49 AM (#41871 - in reply to #41820)

Thanks for advice searching for trailers with extra height will see whats available
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)