'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Painting or undercoating the underside of a trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-24 3:41 PM
7 replies, 6890 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 11:09 AM (#40544)
Subject: Painting or undercoating the underside of a trailer

Extreme Veteran

Why is the underside of most trailers not painted?  Cost, I’m sure.  I bought a new steel trailer.  I would like to keep it looking new, as it is the first new—not previously owned—thing I have ever owned.  I would like to paint or undercoat the underside of the trailer.  I like the idea of the rubberized undercoating, for its ability to resist rock chips.  Should the steel be primed or painted before applying the undercoating or can it be applied to bare metal?  Is the spray-on stuff in the rattle cans any good?  Would it be better to use the brush-on/roll-on undercoating?  Or maybe I should just paint it.  If anybody has any experience or advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-20 12:31 PM (#40734 - in reply to #40544)
Subject: RE: Painting or undercoating the underside of a trailer

Extreme Veteran

Am I crazy for wanting to paint or undercoat the bottom of the trailer?  Maybe the manufacturers don't paint the underside because nobody cares.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-04-20 1:56 PM (#40744 - in reply to #40544)

Expert

If you want to paint it, then paint it.  When I have mine done I'm going to have underneath sandblasted and an udercoating put on.  Maybe it will keep it from rusting for a few years. 
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-20 3:11 PM (#40748 - in reply to #40544)

Expert

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2006-04-17 12:09 PM

Why is the underside of most trailers not painted? Cost, I’m sure. I bought a new steel trailer. I would like to keep it looking new, as it is the first new—not previously owned—thing I have ever owned. I would like to paint or undercoat the underside of the trailer. I like the idea of the rubberized undercoating, for its ability to resist rock chips. Should the steel be primed or painted before applying the undercoating or can it be applied to bare metal? Is the spray-on stuff in the rattle cans any good? Would it be better to use the brush-on/roll-on undercoating? Or maybe I should just paint it. If anybody has any experience or advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

You mean it has NO PAINT on the underside ?
Not even a primer ?
Hmmm, well - given that it is steel and has obviously been unprotected for a while, you probably already have some surface rust. To do it properly you should get that surface rust off first, either with a wire brush or sand blaster. Then a good primer, then paint, then maybe a rubbery underbody seal.
I've used the rubber sealant in rattle cans on the wheel arches of an aluminum trailer, I think I had road salt paranoia at the time but it passed. One large rattle can covered a double wheel arch and probably would have done the other one as well, but the trailer was up against the hedge. It was good until I hit it with the pressure washer, which cut fine lines into it.

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2006-04-20 7:59 PM (#40756 - in reply to #40748)

Expert

my trailer has no paint on the underside that is why I am going to have it sandblasted.  Quite a bit of surface rust.
chadsalt
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-04-20 8:12 PM (#40758 - in reply to #40544)

Expert

Originally written by jdzaharia on 2006-04-17 12:09 PM

Why is the underside of most trailers not painted?  Cost, I’m sure.  I bought a new steel trailer.  I would like to keep it looking new, as it is the first new—not previously owned—thing I have ever owned.  I would like to paint or undercoat the underside of the trailer.  I like the idea of the rubberized undercoating, for its ability to resist rock chips.  Should the steel be primed or painted before applying the undercoating or can it be applied to bare metal?  Is the spray-on stuff in the rattle cans any good?  Would it be better to use the brush-on/roll-on undercoating?  Or maybe I should just paint it.  If anybody has any experience or advice, I would appreciate hearing it.

i would agree with cost being the problem.  my first and only new trailer (steel) i ended up having to order anyway so i specified the bottom undercoated........

however upon receipt i saw something shiny through the floor boards, the crossmemebers had not been painted on top.  got home pulled the floor out and a few cans of rustolem, a few cans of beer and a saturday morning,  problem solved.  pulled the butt side board after the first year, no rust as to cause concern.  that reminds me probably should check again.

i say paint them and keep an eye on them, should last a long time.  prep work is the key, no rust, cleaned and degreased.

Edited by chadsalt 2006-04-20 8:14 PM
RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-20 11:00 PM (#40766 - in reply to #40544)

The problem I've seen with undercoating is, it will crack and hold moisture, salt, etc. up between the coating and the metal. Causing more rust damage. I vote for a good cleanup and a lot of paint.
jdzaharia
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-24 3:41 PM (#40885 - in reply to #40544)

Extreme Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions all.  I will probably start pulling floor boards tonight.  I am still on the fence as far as paint vs. undercoating.  I was going to undercoat the hitch, as I think it will stand up to the rock chips better.  I travel far more gravel roads than salty roads here in ND.  At first I was thinking undercoat the whole bottom for simplicity's sake, but RideAPaint's post has me thinking paint.  I will have time to decide while I remove floorboards and prime the metal.  Maybe by then, there will be some more suggestions on here.  Ha ha.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)