'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Towing Issue!

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-20 5:48 PM
9 replies, 3743 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Tuffyjim
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-18 2:50 PM (#40635)
Subject: Towing Issue!

My tow vehicle is a 2003 Lincoln Aviator with factory installed towing package. The trailer is a 2006 Exiss 2 horse aluminum bumper pull (ES20).

Problem: When I hookup and pull away I'm getting a rough, choppy vibration in my towing vehicle. It seems to occur at slower speeds, under 45 MPH. After I drive for several miles it goes away. The only time it did not happen was when the Aviator and trailer remained connected overnight.

Some say it is the electric brakes and that I need a brake controller. So I put one on, no change.

Other say it's my Lincoln Aviator and the AWD computer chip that is getting faked out. My vehicle runs fine not connected. I don't think it's my vehicle. I'm wondering if it could be the brake shoes on the trailer. Once they heat up the problem goes away!

Anyone have an idea?  

Thanks,

Jim

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
RideAPaint
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-18 4:01 PM (#40640 - in reply to #40635)
Subject: RE: Towing Issue!

That's a toughie, but I'll bet it's something with the vehicle. Do you tow anything else?

The biggest reason I'm thinking the vehice is - you said it did it before you installed the brake controller - unless you've got some strange wiring, your trailer brakes should not have even been powered without a controller. Just my guess.

Tuffyjim
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-18 4:11 PM (#40641 - in reply to #40635)

Perhaps I should haul the trailer with a different vehicle. I could also disconnect the trailer plug and haul again with my Avaitor. I need to eliminate one or the other!

Thanks,

Jim

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-18 4:20 PM (#40642 - in reply to #40635)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Tuffyjim on 2006-04-18 12:50 PM

Some say it is the electric brakes and that I need a brake controller. So I put one on, no change.

Hmmmm.......It did it in the beginning with no brake controller installed?....Then you installed one and it still does it? Correct?......I would try a tow without pluging in the trailer and see what happens. (back roads or no traffic). If it still does it I wouldn't eliminate the trailer but I would investigate the tow rig a bit more. Does it have a automatic level or ride control? It may be having a problem with the added weight. Hmmm......interesting......Lets see what the rest of the folks have to say.  

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-18 8:17 PM (#40649 - in reply to #40635)

Expert

Hi and Welcome.

I don't know what is in the tow package for that vehicle, but I'm going to guess it is more likely to be in the tow vehicle than the trailer.

"Rough, choppy vibration under 45 MPH"
I'm thinking drive line and/or AWD/brakes/ABS logic.
The AWD might be detecting wheelspin when there actually isn't any.
I don't know that vehicle, but if there is a switch for disabling any form of traction control I'd try switching it out. I'd also try a test in "Lock 4WD", or whatever that mode is called on your vehicle. Some traction control systems tie into the ABS and will apply one brake to the wheel that is thought to be slipping.

Some doubt could be removed by having a scan of the error codes - free at Autozone. Look for anything that might indicate an ABS, AWD or wheel speed sensor problem.

Other than that, I'm lost (-:

EDIT:
Having slept on it, I have more questions than answers (-:
Is there a tow/haul mode on this vehicle ?
Are you using it ?
Does the problem occur if you use tow/haul mode WITHOUT the trailer ?

You had said in your original post, "when pulling away" (words to that effect). Does this mean accelerating, or just getting the rig rolling ?
END EDIT

Edited by Reg 2006-04-19 8:41 AM
Tuffyjim
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-19 12:58 PM (#40677 - in reply to #40635)

No there is no Tow/Haul Mode. The Aviator is 2003 AWD with 3.73 Ratio Regular Axle.

The Aviator runs fine when not hauling. The choppy ride only occurs when the trailer is hooked up initially. Once I drive 1 or 2 miles it goes away and will not come back again until the trailer is disconnected and reconnected.

We did connect a meter to the tow vehicle and found no problems. This was done after the choppy ride was over. It would not fail again no matter how hard we drove. It has something to do with the reconnect. The Aviator seems to be trying to adjust to the load. If there is a load leveler switch in the back, I sure can not find it?

Jim

xyzer
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-19 3:17 PM (#40684 - in reply to #40677)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by Tuffyjim on 2006-04-19 10:58 AM

No there is no Tow/Haul Mode. The Aviator is 2003 AWD with 3.73 Ratio Regular Axle.

The Aviator runs fine when not hauling. The choppy ride only occurs when the trailer is hooked up initially. Once I drive 1 or 2 miles it goes away and will not come back again until the trailer is disconnected and reconnected.

We did connect a meter to the tow vehicle and found no problems. This was done after the choppy ride was over. It would not fail again no matter how hard we drove. It has something to do with the reconnect. The Aviator seems to be trying to adjust to the load. If there is a load leveler switch in the back, I sure can not find it?

Jim

Jim,

This link will give you the owners manual for your Aviator. https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/results.asp

I glanced through it and it appears yours does not have the Load leveler option for that year but it does have an traction control syustem that applies brakes to spinning wheels under some conditions. They do mention that it can cause issues while cornering with a trailer........I think they said it can be disabled. Look through it and see if it helps. Does it do it if the trailer isn't pluged in? If so I would suspect the Aviator.

Added: It may not have a "tow/haul" mode.....But maybe a "OD" off

Edited by xyzer 2006-04-19 3:20 PM
Tuffyjim
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-19 7:13 PM (#40687 - in reply to #40684)

I read the section on Traction Control/Advance Trac in the owners manual. Whent through the Aviator's Message Center, this is where you select or turn on/off options. I found no way turn off the Traction Control/Advance Trac. Maybe I do not have that option, perhaps it was a special order.

When you mentioned the OD in place of a haul/tow mode it forced me into reading more about OD. The 2003 Lincoln Aviator has an OD On/Off button on the left side of the shifter. Apparently you are normally in OD and have to hit the button to turn it off. An indicator light shows up when it's off (not on). I have been hauling the trailer since last Friday in OD all the time. I'm hoping it's that simple. I'll give it a test over the weekend when I do some hauling!

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if it's solved. Look at it this way, It was not helping matters with OD On!

Jim  

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-04-19 10:24 PM (#40700 - in reply to #40687)

Expert

Originally written by Tuffyjim on 2006-04-19 8:13 PM

I read the section on Traction Control/Advance Trac in the owners manual. Whent through the Aviator's Message Center, this is where you select or turn on/off options. I found no way turn off the Traction Control/Advance Trac. Maybe I do not have that option, perhaps it was a special order.

When you mentioned the OD in place of a haul/tow mode it forced me into reading more about OD. The 2003 Lincoln Aviator has an OD On/Off button on the left side of the shifter. Apparently you are normally in OD and have to hit the button to turn it off. An indicator light shows up when it's off (not on). I have been hauling the trailer since last Friday in OD all the time. I'm hoping it's that simple. I'll give it a test over the weekend when I do some hauling!

Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know if it's solved. Look at it this way, It was not helping matters with OD On!

Jim

Locking out overdrive isn't going to help with this if, as you say, it only happens at low speeds (under 45).
Tow/haul modes really affect transmission shift point, O/D lockout doesn't.
It isn't THAT surprising to not have traction control (or the ability to disable it) in an AWD vehicle. I mean, you might just have no control over it with the AWD option.

I still suspect that a "traction control like function" is activating a brake spuriously based on a false sensing of wheelspin.
BTW, unequal tire pressures can falsly indicate different wheel speeds, that is something worth checking.
Tuffyjim
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-20 5:48 PM (#40753 - in reply to #40700)

I just received an email from Exiss Trailers. The factory's rub on the issue is one of three things:

1. Something linked to the tow vehicle. It is not immediately responding to the initial "plugging-in" to the electrical system.

2. Other symptoms would indicate the brake shoes on the trailer may be adjusted a little tight; causing a drag on initial start, and then they get hot, the drag would decrease.    

3. Inspect the wires, make sure they are attached good and solid. Check the ground and make sure your getting good contact.

Jim

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)