'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Sooner Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-13 12:03 PM
24 replies, 6260 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-26 9:49 AM (#39527)
Subject: Sooner Trailers

Are there any Sooner trailer owners out there that would like to give me any feedback on likes or dislikes of these trailers?I really like the quality of them,however am a little dissapointed in some of the changes made in the last 2 years.I live in Canada so there are really no dealers here..any ideas how much per km to get one hauled to the border if i was to buy one in the states?Thank you in advance
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-26 6:21 PM (#39557 - in reply to #39527)
Subject: RE: Sooner Trailers

Anyone????????????

Edited by spinnylena 2006-03-26 6:22 PM
wall
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-26 11:18 PM (#39570 - in reply to #39527)

New User

There are several SOONER dealers in Canada.but they don't show on SOONER website because of format. Your nearest dealer most likely would be CAM CLARK FORD, Airdire Alberta, contact Sheylene at 403-948-6660 They have an outlet in MAN, and maybe B.C. They are one of SOONER'S largest dealers, stocking a lot of product. Hope this helps!  

ASJ
Reg. Mar 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 8:41 AM (#39582 - in reply to #39527)

Veteran

Hi,

I am a Sooner owner and I Love my trailer. But I must say just about everyone that has a trailer no matter what brand will tell you that they love their trailers. If you shop and look around at the different brands, there will most always be something that you would change about them. Universal Trailer Corp. now owns Sooner. The Sooner and the Exiss trailer are now both made at he same plant. The sooner is still an up-grade from the Exiss. But there are a lot of similarities. Just about any well known trailer brand is a well made trailer. Just look and find the one that best fits your needs and pocket book and I am sure you will not be disappointed. Sooner has changed hands a couple times over the last few years and their quality has wavered a bit. But now it is being built by a reputable company that has brought back its integrity. You can't go  wrong with this trailer..

Good Luck

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-27 9:07 AM (#39584 - in reply to #39527)

Thank you both for your replies.
I have been to Cam clark in Alberta and they are definately the closest dealer here but still 14 hours away.I am convinced i like the Sooners best i was just hoping to get some feedback from owners and any qualities they felt had been comprimised since the new ownership.
Thank you both again
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 9:52 AM (#39587 - in reply to #39527)

I think Sooner is head and shoulders above the rest with there rivetless skin, heavy duty structure, slam latches, and so much more. Sooners also gonna have about the best resale value of anything out there and come with a 7/3 warranty.  If you get a Sooner, I doubt you will be dissapointed...
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-27 10:46 AM (#39593 - in reply to #39527)

Thank you...That was my feeling too....now it's just finding one!!!

Edited by spinnylena 2006-03-27 10:47 AM
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 10:51 AM (#39594 - in reply to #39527)

What exactly are you lookin for?
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-27 12:27 PM (#39603 - in reply to #39527)

I am looking for a 3 horse i think it is the LX. Aluminum slat sides,insulated dressing and horse area.
I love the Revolutions but they are no longer made.The thing i like about the Revolution vs the newer Sooners are the aluminum bars when you flip the windows down.They are attached to the window so when it is lowered the bars come down at an angle leaving an open gap on top and bottom.I know it would probably never happen but i can't shake seeing a horses muzzle getting caught in there.I really liked the bars being seperate and folding down seperately like on the old Revolutions.
Issie
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2006-03-27 7:39 PM (#39623 - in reply to #39527)

Regular

I bought my Sooner in 1993, and I have never had one problem with it.  It is a great trailer...
hobbsel
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-28 7:57 PM (#39685 - in reply to #39527)

Hi,I just recently purchased a 97 3H GN sooner... I LOVE IT! I have the windows that you were referring to... the windows are seperate from the bars. Great feature. The trailer is so well made and even though it is almost 10 years old, you would never know it. The resale value is great, but I dont plan on getting rid of it anytime soon. The only thing I would add to the trailer is LINE-X or Rhinoliner on the floors under the mats. No matter how well you bed with shavings, urine will still get under the mats and it just gives you reassurance that your floor will hold up as long as the rest of your sooner. Good luck trailer shopping!
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-03-29 8:23 AM (#39712 - in reply to #39527)

Thank you all for your replies....a Sooner it is then..lol!
OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-03-29 10:52 AM (#39717 - in reply to #39527)

spinnylena, I sent you a private messege....
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-02 9:17 PM (#39903 - in reply to #39527)

Hi there,

we recently purchased a new alum trailer. We were interested in the sooner  3 horse BP. Sooner is not the trailer that it used to be and is existing on its previous reputation. It is now made by Exiss. The older sooners rock! But we would not buy a Exiss.

good luck!

OK-Cowboy
Reg. Oct 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 9:41 PM (#39905 - in reply to #39903)

Originally written by bobbi'smom on 2006-04-02 9:17 PM

Hi there,

we recently purchased a new alum trailer. We were interested in the sooner  3 horse BP. Sooner is not the trailer that it used to be and is existing on its previous reputation. It is now made by Exiss. The older sooners rock! But we would not buy a Exiss.

good luck!

No offense but you couldn't be more off. Exiss didn't by Sooner. Universal Trailer Corporation did. UTC OWNS Exiss, Miley, Haulmark and bought Sooner. However Sooner is still quite a few notches above a Exiss. Why would they buy Sooner and turn it into a trailer they already have? They Have Sooner and Exiss so as to get both ends of the spectrum. Sooner being the higher end and Exiss being the economical choice. 

If you do a little more research you would find Sooner has a smooth rivetless skin. Exiss does not. Sooner has a heavier guage frame. Sooner has a solid, heavy duty "frame in frame" drop down feed door. Exiss does not.  Sooner has a "triple hollow core slat" for its extruded skin. Exiss does not.  If you get a chance to look at a Sooner and a Exiss side by side, Look at the thickness of the rear side post and structure of the Sooner compared to the Exiss. 

Wether or not Sooner or Exiss or any other brand is good or bad is anybodys opinion, BUT if you think Sooner and Exiss are the same trailer, your sadly mistaken and uneducated on the subject.

-CR

Edited by OK-Cowboy 2006-04-02 9:44 PM
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-02 11:27 PM (#39909 - in reply to #39527)

You are right O.K...Sooners are the superior trailer...but i do agree i like the old ones much better.I think it's the 2005 that has the face guards that slide into the trailer...i can definately see that being a problem.The 2006's are different and have the face guards attached to the window, when it drops it leaves an "odd" gap top and bottom.I really liked the earlier Revolution types....you could open the window and still have the bars up,or pop that down too.Also...when you folded up the rear tack on the 2005,the prong that held it in place would stick up (sometimes it would lock into the floor..other times it wouldn't) i would hate to be standing with cold hands dicking with that thing.I guess that is my long winded way of saying i wish they would have just left well enough alone...they had a great trailer,why change it?
Because of all these changes i am almost leaning towards a Sundowner!!!!!
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-03 8:06 PM (#39938 - in reply to #39905)

guess you told me cowboy! Guess my dealer was blowing smoke out her butt. This is what I was told so thought I would pass it on. This dealer sold Exsis trailers and really did not have many good things to say about them. She also used to work for Sooner. Anyway you look at it the older sooner trailers are terrific.
cowboyscash
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-04 12:12 AM (#39943 - in reply to #39527)

We have a 2000 sooner 4h lq trailer it is outstanding no complaints.If you are going to buy a new trailer it all comes down to how much money you want to spend.Low price low grade high price high grade,You need to shop for what fits your buget and gets you the most.We have several friends with exiss trailers and they are happy withthem.But we all wouldn't mind having a 4star or bloomer$$$$
spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-04 12:13 AM (#39944 - in reply to #39527)

I think we are all saying the same thing....Sooner is a great trailer but perhaps some of the changes were not.I thank everyone for their input...it goes a long way in helping the decision making process...12

Edited by spinnylena 2006-04-04 12:15 AM
Haflingers4Me
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-04 7:26 PM (#39964 - in reply to #39903)

Hi Bobbi'smom,

Sounds like we may know the same sales person. What kind of trailer did you end up buying?

bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-04 9:00 PM (#39969 - in reply to #39964)

Do I dare say? We endend up purchasing a 2006 Sundowner from Olympic trailer. New sales lady there that used to work for lufts in rochester.

We looked at a bunch of trailers and felt that the sundowner has everything we were looking for. Hope we made the right choice.....major purchase!!

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-05 9:03 AM (#39985 - in reply to #39527)

That's so funny Bobbi'sMom.....i am now also looking at the Sundowners.They seem to be a bit more available and they do have a lot of features i like also.I love the swing out saddle rack in the back tack area and the way the dividers close.I thought in terms of quality they were well below a Sooner but from what i hear, their construction is as good as, if not somewhat better than a Sooner.Does Olympic trailer sales have quite a selection on their lot? Might be worth a trip down...Thanx
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-12 12:17 PM (#40326 - in reply to #39985)

dear spinnylena- sorry I did not get back to you sooner  but we just got back from horse camping. First trip for the Sundowner.

Olympic trailer does not have a real large selection of trailers but I would not hesitate to purchase one from Diane over the phone. This is if you have looked at the sundowner and know what you want. We purchased a 2006- was shipped from the factory in a very timely manner. As for used SD we could not find any- so forked out the bucks and went for a new 3horse BP. We were lucky and it came from the factory with the oversize drop down windows on the head side. They look very nice. No extra charge to us. This is an option and well worth it.

we could not beat the price at olympic and they hardly dicker- which upset me- cause I like to dicker. but after doing homework we got a good price.

Ask for Diane at Olympic she is the horse trailer expert. Dirk is not a horse person. I will check this again if you have other questions.

Bobbi'smom

spinnylena
Reg. Mar 2006
Posted 2006-04-12 3:46 PM (#40335 - in reply to #39527)

Hi Bobbi'smom...Thank you....I ended up custom ordering a Sundowner exactly the way i wanted it.Extra windows and extra footage in the dressing room,Corrugated slats all around and a few other extra's.I am very excited..they say 8-10 weeks,i'm counting the days.
Thank you all for your reply's..and i knew ultimatley it was my choice for my needs etc,but a lot of good feedback from Knowledgeable people goes a long way! Thanx again
bobbi'smom
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-13 12:03 PM (#40372 - in reply to #39527)

congratulations are in order! We love our trailer and also love the back tack. There are a few things that I would have changed. 1) more hooks in the front tack. Think it only comes with 6! Hubby welded on about 20 more.

We also ordered more ties on the trailer. One of the horse ties is directly in the way of the back tack. Other than that we love our SD.

Valley vet has a 48 gal water tank that fits very nicely in the inside of the front tack corner. We also ordered a 48gal for our hayrack.

keep us posted....

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)