'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
To ride or not to ride?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-04 9:38 PM
5 replies, 3368 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Horse Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-01 9:08 PM (#39881)
Subject: To ride or not to ride?

Elite Veteran

Ok, I've agonized for three years about breeding my mare and decided to take the plunge. I'm breeding my next show horse (at least that's the plan), not planning to make money selling a baby, etc. I keep getting conflicting advice on the following and am curious if there is a consensus on this forum. I have been told both "Ride the piss out of her" and "don't ride her at all". I don't HAVE to ride her as I have another one to show this year, but wouldn't mind doing some training level dressage with her early on. On the other hand, she does NOT like to trailer and I don't want to do anything to endanger the pregnancy. What do you guys do about this and why? This is my first baby venture so am interested in your opinions. Thanks, Terri
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hconley
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2006-04-01 10:32 PM (#39884 - in reply to #39881)
Subject: RE: To ride or not to ride?

Extreme Veteran

There is no blanket answer, the main issue is nutrition, a mare should gain weight modestly during pregnancy. So if you ride the piss out of her you must feed the piss out of her. The first 50 days of pregnancy is the most critical time for the embryo. From 7 months on is the hardest on the mare (she can gain as much as 250 lbs) just use common sense and have her checked regularly by your vet.

Edited by hconley 2006-04-01 10:38 PM
mrstacticalmedic
Reg. Dec 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 9:46 AM (#39888 - in reply to #39881)

Extreme Veteran

I agree w/ hconley, consult your vet.  I know from my personal experience we ride our mares right up to the 9th mo.  Once it gets to the point we can't comfortably put a cinch around their belly, we ride them bareback around the field.  The vet told us that you treat them pretty much the same as they were prior to getting pregnant.  If you barrel raced, you barrel race till you feel she is losing her balance.  If you trail ride, you trail ride till she tells you it is uncomfortable.   I know when I was pregnant the doc told me I could pretty much do what I was doing before I got pregnant, if I was in aeroebics I could do that till I got so clumsy.   

Just do it in moderation till the mare starts showing she is too clumsy and too uncomfortable.  Watch your mare for signs.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 11:31 AM (#39894 - in reply to #39881)

Expert

Good advice given above.

Can't add much to that.

I have rode my mares on trails. I should say my kids have. I think it helps the mare to keep her in shape. So we take them on trail rides almost weekly. We cut back around 7-8 months. As much because of winter as comfort for the mare. We take the expectant mares for walks during the last two months. Keep them moving and stretched out.

terri s
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2006-04-02 11:36 AM (#39895 - in reply to #39881)

Elite Veteran

Sounds sensible to me. Thanks everyone.
Beth
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-04-04 9:38 PM (#39970 - in reply to #39881)

Veteran

My vets over the years have always advised me to ride the mares as much as possible, with lighter riding the closer they get to delivery. I was told it keeps them fit with good muscle tone which would aid the mare at time of delivery. I have had 3 pregnant mares over the years with 3 live, bouncy foals and no complications with any delivery. My last foal was just 5 months ago. My mare would always "tell" me when the ride was long enough and it was time to go home, she did her last barrel race for the year in her 8th month of gestation. I think most horses are just happier having something to do anyway, but... I do agree with the others......good nutrition is a must! Good luck!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)