'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Last stall divider on slant load trailers

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-17 6:43 PM
29 replies, 10707 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-31 5:37 AM (#36274 - in reply to #36070)
Subject: RE: Last stall divider on slant load trailers

Expert

I sit here trying to imagine a horse trailer laying on it's side with horses sitting on their rump tied to what now is he roof of the trailer. They would have to be tied with a very long tie or they would be hung. I'll keep hauling mine untied.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-01-31 10:21 PM (#36354 - in reply to #36206)

Extreme Veteran

My horse turned around in a straightload while untied... that was a mess. Bent the divider up so I couldn't undo the butt bar to get him outta there. He was cut up, bleeding badly from the nose, freaked out and basically stuck in the trailer. I had to get in there with him (whoa boy... eeeeeeasy) and kick the living daylights out of the divider to get it to the point I could unload the horse. That was interesting. I will never leave my horse untied in a trailer with dividers again. I now have a 3 horse gooseneck slant load and can take the dividers out and use it like a stock trailer. But, I still tie him.
Kansashoss
Reg. Aug 2005
Posted 2006-02-01 7:01 AM (#36361 - in reply to #36070)

It's a crap shoot when your hauling horses and so much depends on the individual horse's personality.  With most of my horses in a straight load trailer I did not tie them because it was usually a snug fit.  They could only go "up".  With the roomy slant loads I always tie them w/ a cotton line for many of the reasons other have offered- they an start jacking around with each other over and under that divider.   I work for a vet and have seen what bungee cord ties have done to horse's eyes when they snapped.  From that perspective I could never, ever recommend using them in a barn or trailer, never.

If the trailer is involved in a wreck the least of my worries will be if they came untied rather "are they alive?".  Just as airplanes are designed to fly and not wreck, horse trailers are designed to be hauled not wrecked so wrecks bite in each example.

Basically it comes down to a Dr. Phil'ism "How is that working for ya?".  If your way is working then keep it up.  If your horses are getting scraped or upset during hauls you need to revaluate what you are asking of them, IMO.

Back to the original poster- when I have my rear tack out the horse in the last slant (I have a two horse slant GN) stands fine until we walk in and take them out.  They are expected to "whoa" until qued to exit.  Good luck!

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-01 11:56 PM (#36410 - in reply to #36070)

Extreme Veteran

Hi there - I have a 3 horse simple slant load gooseneck trailer. No feeders, bells or whistles. It's partially enclosed with slider windows on the upper part and is a step-up with one big back door. I often just haul my horse and load him up front, but when I take friends' with me, we discuss who should ride in back. Thsi is obviously due to the issue you are concerned with; the horse coming out before you're ready for them. Here is one way we handled a tricky situation. My friend's horse is very hard to load and keep in the trailer long enough for you to shut the door (annoying). He also can't really be tied (he panics) so he's last in. When we get ready to unload, we reach in between the upper bars, hook the lead rope on, then slowly open the door enough to get ahold of the rope. Then I open the door fully so he can quietly step out. He has never pushed to get out when unloading, but is a big horse and could move anything he wanted to. I know more training would do him good, but he's not my horse, so I just do the best I can at the time.

I recommend the 3 horse; we have done some camping (Cayuse Horse Camp) with ours, and it's great! I have hauled hay in the front stall, and a couple horses in stall number 2 & 3, or taken 3 horses. Also, I can take the dividers out and actually haul 4 horses if I wanted to. Even though I only have the one horse, I would not trade my 3 horse for anything. In answer to your "last stall question" I don't know how I'd alter the trailer so a horse in the last stall couldn't try to unload before I was ready. Especially with my step-up, I'd be concerned with them stepping out and getting a hip under the chain or butt bar, or a leg under the edge... if they had to reverse direction and step back in it would be very difficult for them. At this point, the last horse either gets handled the way I described above, or simply waits to step out. A riding buddy has a Sundowner 3-horse bumper pull with rear tack. My horse rides in the last stall in that one, and he just waits for me to come and get him. It has the full double rear doors, and ramp that closes over the doors. I don't remember seeing a bar or chain there, and I know I've never used one in her trailer. It hasn't been a problem, yet:) I haven't seen too many configurations in the slant load, but I am sure there must be a manufacturer that has what you're looking for. Or, consider the 3 horse. If you go that route, problem solved and I'm sure you'd be happy with the trailer. Good luck in your search. If you don't mind me asking, are you in western WA or eastern WA?
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 6:43 PM (#40585 - in reply to #36070)

Regular

If you do not get a trailer that has a butt bar you can either make one or a butt rope. Get two extra tie rings from the place you got your trailer and then with a simple double ended rope or a simple job by your local welder you should be set up.

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)