'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Horse Wrecks

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-02-27 9:03 AM
12 replies, 4491 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

snoplop
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-26 12:40 AM (#37837)
Subject: Horse Wrecks

We are on the hunt for a trailer. Figured a Brenderup or a Aluminum 3 horse slant. Thought I knew what to look for till I read several threads involving back door hinges giving out. I know of instances where trailer floors gave out (unknown till the driver was flagged down) so thats something I will check for sure. And know of a couple of wrecks that involved extracating the horses upside down etc. and resulting tiedown advise that would lessen the kaos. I imagine most of you have had some real tense moments at one time or another and have a list of lessons learned. I for one would rather learn from others experiences as much as possible and would like to hear some of your idea's of what to do or not to do. Some swear by not tying or loading backwards or removing all the dividers, or not. Made me wonder how many ways a horse can find to get hurt in or around a trailer and what tidbits of info we can gather together to prevent Murphy from rearing his ugly head. Any things you would change about your trailer or its setup? front or rear tack, Hay racks, water tanks, spring ties, ..Thanks for any and all advise and bring on the stories!
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tadofa
Reg. Dec 2003
Posted 2006-02-26 4:05 AM (#37840 - in reply to #37837)
Subject: RE: Horse Wrecks

If you have a short bed truck and pull a gn, invest in the pop-up hitch evaluated by Mr. Truck and here on the website somewhere.    Knock on wood, that's been my only trouble.  I bought the hitch the next day and it is wonderful. I love how easy it is to hitch up!

Some good friends of mine hit black ice in the middle of a pop-up storm. They were literally crawling and trying to get to an exit to stop until the storm passed and the roads were clear - too many accidents and cars on the side of the highway to stop safely anywhere along the side of the road. The trailer started coming around the side, blown by the wind and just sliding on the ice. In order to avoid jack-knifing, they sped up so the truck could pull the trailer straight and out of the potential disaster. Pretty scary speeding up on ice, but the only way they knew to avoid jack-knifing. If (horror of horrors) that ever happens to me, I hope I can remember to speed up to straighten the trailer and get it back in line with the truck!

Edited by Tadofa 2006-02-26 4:07 AM
rotag
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2006-02-26 6:45 AM (#37842 - in reply to #37837)

Veteran

You can speed up or manually apply the breaks on the trailer.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2006-02-26 8:49 AM (#37850 - in reply to #37837)

Expert

I have heard these horror stories and haven't changed a thing I do. Why? Because no matter what you do or don't do, shi* happens. I do not tie the horses. I don't wrap them up either. No head bumpers. I don't have a ramp and they haven't slid under the trailer while unloading. I try my best to drive carefully. I can't control what the other idiot is doing. As long as your dealing with horses, there will be tense moments and some down right bad ones. Its the risk I take to enjoy riding and showing my horse.

hav2ride
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-02-26 8:56 AM (#37851 - in reply to #37837)

Expert

Since you mentioned tying a horse, I will comment on this. You'll get many people telling you never to tie. I ALWAYS tie and ALWYAS tie with just enough length for them to be comfortable but not get their heads below their chest or turned to the sides. A friend of mine had an incident where she hauled a horse tied but tied a tad too long. THe horse got his head around to the other side of the head divider and was stuck, with his head severly cranked, on the wrong side. Luckily, this horse didn't totally panic to the point of hurting himself. The rope and halter were really tight and it took some time to free him. I also know of a horse that was hauled in a straight load that was not tied. When he arrived at the destination, he was facing backwards! He was a bit banged up but the driver never felt him struggle.
Broken Bit
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-26 10:30 AM (#37855 - in reply to #37837)

Veteran

Not a good idea to manually apply trlr. brakes on ice!! I can garuantee that your brakes are set so that they do not "lock up" with the resistance of pavement, take that resistance away, ie, ice, snow, what have you, and they will skid easier than you expect... as soon as they skid and loose traction they will actually speed up and want to pass your rig and seeing your wagon out your side window is NOT something you or anybody else on the roads want to see!  There are very few instances that you will ever want or need to apply trlr. brakes only.  Take it from me up here in Northern IN. and MI. we get lots of ice and snow, and I truck livestock in it all!!  Just MHO,   see ya
rose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2006-02-26 8:19 PM (#37883 - in reply to #37837)

How many ways can a horse find to get hurt? How many minutes does the horse have a day!!!!!
RollinPonies
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2006-02-26 9:11 PM (#37886 - in reply to #37837)

Veteran

"I imagine most of you have had some real tense moments at one time or another and have a list of lessons learned. I for one would rather learn from others experiences as much as possible and would like to hear some of your idea's of what to do or not to do. Some swear by not tying or loading backwards or removing all the dividers, or not. Made me wonder how many ways a horse can find to get hurt in or around a trailer and what tidbits of info we can gather together to prevent Murphy from rearing his ugly head. Any things you would change about your trailer or its setup? front or rear tack, Hay racks, water tanks, spring ties, ..Thanks for any and all advise and bring on the stories!"

You want to hear horse wreck stories? 

cowgirl98034
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2006-02-26 10:58 PM (#37891 - in reply to #37886)

Extreme Veteran

I had my horse in a 2 horse straightload and he turned around right after I stopped to unload.  It was a mess.  He banged up his head, had a bloody nose, bent the divider all up... a mess.  He was facing backward and I could not get the butt chain off because it was attached to the divider which was all bent and twisted.  I was only going 2 miles so thought he'd be fine.  I always tie now... it has been the safest way to haul and unload.  The only time I didn't tie was when hauling a new horse home for a friend.  After we arrived to pick him up they informed us he had a bad experience in the trailer and was hard to load (nice to know at that point).  1/2 hour later I had him in my 3-horse gooseneck long enough to shut the door behind him (took the dividers out).  Then they told us he fought hard and sat down when he was tied. ( hmmmmmm - glad this horse is not going home with me :)))  Anyway, I hauled him the 10 miles home with absolutely no incidents.  He moved around when we stopped at lights but when we were moving, he found his favorite place to stand and rode like a champ.  Unloading was tricky but we managed.    Everyone I know and ride with, ties their horse in the trailer.  And yes, if there is something a horse can get tangled up in or turned around in or upside down in,  one of them will do it.  I saw a horse with it's front feet sticking out the window of a trailer... he'd been untied and reared up.  I have no idea if that could have happened being tied, but he was untied.  Another gal was backing her trailer up to park at home, and there was a lot of banging around, and she got out to check and her horse, tied long, was on it's back with legs in the air, kind of stuck.  Good grief - horses are some of the biggest idiots at times.  Just remember that :

cascadia
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2006-02-26 11:14 PM (#37892 - in reply to #37837)

Veteran

In whatever trailer you get, always carry two first aid kits.  One for the horses (and you) and one for the trailer.  In the horse kit, include a spare halter and rope along with the medical supplies.  In the trailer kit, include everything you need to change a trailer tire and that means the little things like gloves, wd-40, flashlight and the instructions. Don't leave your wheel chocks and trailer tongue stand at home.  Put a toolkit in your trailer.  And a really good, very sharp knife in very easy reach in case you need to cut a rope or halter.  And a lamenated big card with emergency phone numbers.

I don't know why I do this but I also carry an extra stinger with ball that fits my trailer.  I don't know how or why I'd even need one. 

My last suggestion would be to practice loading and unloading safely.  Put your horse in, shut the door and then tie up.  If you tie before you shut and the horse pulls back things can get ugly. 

snoplop
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2006-02-26 11:43 PM (#37894 - in reply to #37837)

Not morbid curiosity but as a learning tool. Anyone thats been around horses for any amount of time has to have been caught off guard at times if not dumb founded how a simple umuh-oh glitch turned into a snort-n-matterscatter crisis. Maybe its just destiny for OUR animals to have the grey matter to figure out how to damage themselves in a rubber room though I once watched a neighbor let theirs roam in a field of junk and scattered barbed wire with no ill effects. And yea, he did bring them home once after a long weekend, I notice him out "doctoring" and moseyed over, he was smearing oatmeal in a big flap'n gash on the horses head. Said he took his eyes off the road for a minute coming home and piled up in a ditch, flung the trailer on its side. And ya know the horse not only healed up (with no stitches) but would trailer the next day no problem. She did give me one questioning glance going in that left me wondering if she wanted to check my license first then dismissed it as if it wouldnt have done any good anyway. 
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-02-27 5:34 AM (#37896 - in reply to #37837)

Expert

I'm with farmbabe SH*T happens, I had an old man tell me long ago "Horses are on a path on self destruction from the day they are born, we humans are here to prevent it." If I tie them and they fall and hang themselves, they did it not me. If I don't tie them and they turn around and get banged up or hang themselves on the divider, they did it not me. All I can do is buy a safe trailer. Drive defensivley. And hope I don't meet the idiot on the road, or didn't load the idiot in the trailer.
Stymie
Reg. Jan 2006
Posted 2006-02-27 9:03 AM (#37906 - in reply to #37837)

If you have tube type dividers get a piece of sheet metal welded in between to close the spaces. Long story short but we had a trailer roll over and the hardest part was that the horses got their legs all sorts of tangled up in the dividers. I don't know how no legs were broken but thank God for the jaws of life! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)