'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Air bags for Dodge Dually

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2006-04-17 6:49 PM
3 replies, 3007 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 3:53 PM (#36241)
Subject: Air bags for Dodge Dually

Expert

I have a 2005 Dodge Cummins Dually looking for info on changing the rear leaf spring set-up to air bags. Anyone done it? Who's system? I've seen some 4 Link type set-ups do they still carry the load. I pull various trailers with the truck looking for something that you can adjust ride hieght with air pressure. Thanks in advance for all info.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2006-01-30 5:12 PM (#36248 - in reply to #36241)
Subject: RE: Air bags for Dodge Dually

Expert

Originally written by HWBar on 2006-01-30 4:53 PM

I have a 2005 Dodge Cummins Dually looking for info on changing the rear leaf spring set-up to air bags. Anyone done it? Who's system? I've seen some 4 Link type set-ups do they still carry the load. I pull various trailers with the truck looking for something that you can adjust ride hieght with air pressure. Thanks in advance for all info.

I'm currently going through it right now with a Chevvy Duallie, though not with the "ambitious" 4-link set-up.

From what I've heard, read and know;
4-link systems are about $2K
straight air bag systems start at $240
add another $250 or so if you want an on board pump, another hundred or so if you want auto levelling.
Installation extra - I only price parts and estimate knuckle skin co-lat damage.

I'm starting simple, will put the basic kit in first and evaluate it.

SOME folk suggest/recommend taking out a leaf from the main stack, I may check into that again according to how things go with the initial install.

I have an option on a compressor for low (no ?) cost, other than de-installing it from it's present owner's vehicle + maybe 3 beers after the fact.

I doubt that it is worth the bother, I can add air bag pressure check/adjustment to my usual truck and trailer tire check before each trip.

Check the diesel forums, there is a DIY and projects page there somewhere.

DO know if your truck started life as a pick-up, a chassis/cab, or a "pick-up with box delete". On the Chev/GM the underguts are VERY different and if you web order the wrong kit... return shipping, maybe re-stock charges, etc.

Check the Firestone site as well as whoever you order from.
Firsestone tech support are very good, I have their 800 number if you need it.

2229 kit looks right for what you have, but check this for fit;
http://www.ride-rite.com/installation_instructions/2299.pdf

Good luck, let us know what you decide and how it goes.
HWBar
Reg. Nov 2005
Posted 2006-01-30 5:44 PM (#36251 - in reply to #36241)

Expert

Thanks for the info, three beers for the compressor is a good deal. I'm also a member of the busted knuckle garage and will be doing all the install myself, I really have a problem paying anyone to do something that I have the tools to do.
AkTomboysAppys
Reg. Apr 2006
Posted 2006-04-17 6:49 PM (#40587 - in reply to #36241)

Regular

I have added a airbag system to my dually and love it. I did get the compressor and love it.  I have used it from everything to airing up a friends tire that they fixed up after a nail to cleaning tack. It is a great add on that I am glad my boyfriend talked me into. I use it alot and the airbags are great on both my dually and his 3/4 ton.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)