'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Titan Trailers

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-07-28 5:16 PM
23 replies, 9182 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Ceil
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2004-10-03 3:28 PM (#14992)
Subject: Titan Trailers

New User

I am new to this site and am looking to purchase my first trailer. Since I live in AZ, I don't think rust is an issue. So, I'm looking at a 2005 Titan, 3 horse gooseneck. The dealer is local, so this is a plus. However, I would like opinions on this manufacturer. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Ceil 2004-10-03 3:32 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-04 12:16 PM (#15029 - in reply to #14992)
Subject: RE: Titan Trailers

Expert

You didn't say which model or type (bumper or goose).

I own a Titan Avalanche. It's a bare-bones, basic trailer. Nothing fancy, it's warrenteed for 5 years, is all steel, no running boards to catch mud and crud and rust.

I am glad to have had the opportunity to purchase a "basic" trailer like this. It is giving me insight into what I will want on my "life-time" trailer.  For instance, even though it has drop down feed windows, they are kind of small. Two other friends own Titans (one has a Renegade and one has a Classic) and we think that the bars are better in mine than in the Renegade. I would have thought all would be the same (different years - maybe 2 years different). 

I expect to add things - a roof vent in the DR for one; and perhaps padding on the dividers. I've only had it 2 months, but so far, I like it for the price.

I wish that the outside tie rings were a smaller diameter because I cannot clip a panic snap directly to them. One friend had her tie rings raised up a little higher also (she had her's built to her specifications - the Classic is the base model for building LQ into I think).

I don't completely understand the various models ... so, be sure to ask about each and every feature that you want. For instance, the Avalanche model comes with either sliding windows on the butt side OR with slats. It also may have 1 single rear door, or double doors (I got the double doors and no rear tack).  And, I don't think that the Avalanche has running boards available... but check.

engineering101
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2004-10-04 1:24 PM (#15033 - in reply to #14992)

Rust really shouldn't be an issue anymore with a Titan Trailer. About 5 years ago they switched to a galvanneal sheet metal, which I believe is like 99% rust and corrosion proof.

We bought a 24' Titan Classic Stock trailer about 4 years ago and we absolutely love it!! It has been through just about all a person could imagine (rain, snow, hail, the incredibaly rough Kansas dirt roads, ect.), and it has held up awesome. There is absoletly no rust showing anywhere, the trailer pulls as nice today, as it did 4 years ago when we bought it new.

I know that you said you were looking at a horse trailer, but thought you might like to know that structurally, our has held up great.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-04 1:51 PM (#15034 - in reply to #15033)

Expert

Yes, the "panels" are galvanized ... but I don't think that applies to the frame.

It's not just rust that is a problem with horse trailers ...  it's how well the welds hold up on jouncy rides and kicking beasts; how well the hinges and latches hold; how good are the dividers" etc.

efaubert1
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2004-10-04 2:06 PM (#15036 - in reply to #14992)

Elite Veteran

I pulled a 1996 3h Renegade GN with 6' short wall for 2 years, bought as new. The trailer held up very well through all sorts of normal horse show grounds abuse and many camping trips. Never had one single solitary problem with it and had less issues with my all steel trailer than I do with my current Bison Alumasport that I have owned since 1998.
Ceil
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2004-10-04 6:39 PM (#15050 - in reply to #14992)

New User

Thank you all who have given me feedback regarding the Titan Trailer. Gabz, so how good do you think the welds, hinges, latches and dividers are? Also, a Trails West Trailer has been recommended. Anyone have any thoughts on how they compare? I live on 2 miles of BAD dirt road. I'm assuming (I know, bad to do) that a steel trailer will hold up better than aluminum. Any thoughts about that? Also, the model Titan I'm interested in is the 2005 Classic, 3-horse slant with dressing room. Thanks.

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2004-10-04 6:53 PM (#15051 - in reply to #14992)

Expert

I had a Trails West santa fe Gn which is also a bare bones trailer. But they pretty good. I had some rust starting ( michigan!) and some of the paint was peeling on the GN nose. But it was  a solid trailer. You will hear some goodthings about  TW and Titan trailers.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 10:24 AM (#15074 - in reply to #15050)

Expert

I can't compare the 2 brands as I'm not that familiar with TW... although a trusted trailer sales person sold them on the other side of the state from me. (He's since retired.)

If you are considering the Classic, I believe that either it IS insulated or can be insulated - which would be very important with your location, unless you're getting a stock version (slatted sides).  Be sure any enclosed steel trailer that you buy is insulated and has LOTS of ventilation in the horse area. 

One thing I would change on my Titan would be the dividers. Mine are solid panels. I think having bars would be better for air flow and so that the horse's could better see what's going on next to them. The other thing is the front wall in the horse area. Mine has no rumber/rubber/vinyl on it. When I hauled my gelding in the front stall and he urinated, it splashed on the front wall - which could lead to corrosion. I now haul him in the center stall - gives him more foot room too.  Although putting 2 horses in there, it's better "balanced" (? tows easier with my truck) with one horse in the very front and one in the center stall rather than center and rear stalls.

I like the simplicity of what Titan uses. Steel is more easily welded than aluminum and I'm sure the latches are easily replacable if necessary.  As I said, I've only had it 2 months.

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 10:27 AM (#15075 - in reply to #15051)

Expert

Hey farmbabe ... did you get your trailer from a dealer in Ionia before the business was sold?
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 10:42 AM (#15078 - in reply to #15075)

Expert

Yes I did. When I was shopping for a GN I never heard of the brand but then again I was't familiar with most trailers anyway. My budget was limited so when I found it for less than 10 grand- I jumped at it

I didn't know the business was sold...it is still in business?

gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 12:51 PM (#15088 - in reply to #15078)

Expert

Yep - business is still there but owned and run by others.

Ceil
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2004-10-05 1:15 PM (#15089 - in reply to #15075)

New User

Gabz and Farmbabe, Thanks for the feedback. Gabz, interestingly, when I looked at the Titan my concerns were the one big back door (then looked at the double back door - much better for me), the solid top divider and no padding. This trailer does have drop down windows at the head, slats w/plexiglass at the butt and ceiling vents. I spoke with another Titan owner and she said she would prefer the divider bars for ventilation purposes and was hoping to have that changed. Her trailer has the side slats (like the stock) but she said her horse was still warm in it. So adequate ventilation is definitely an issue. When I reviewed the Titan brochure, I too, find the differences in models confusing. Anyway,  I am also going to look at a Trails West, Sierra, 2 horse gooseneck this weekend. Again, thanks so much for your comments. They've helped me focus on what's important for my horses' comfort in a trailer. I'll feel more confident when I talk with the TW dealer.  Another issue I've had is that I moved here from CT. I had not realized there are some major differences between west and east coast trailers! For example, I thought all trailers had ramps!!
farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 1:36 PM (#15091 - in reply to #14992)

Expert

The sierra is  bit nicer than ther Santa fe which i thought was a glorifed stock trailer- it has dividers but slta for windows and no vents. i suppose i could have ordered more stuff but it would have made more expensive too. The Santa had two back doors- the saddle rack was in the DR- something I learned NOT to like. I have a pla with a Titan Classic II- the like it alot. Looks like its holding up well but i can't tell you what they dislike about nor what is looks like on the inside.
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2004-10-05 2:05 PM (#15092 - in reply to #15089)

Expert

LOL - ceil... it's not east and west coast ... it's more the riding disciplines... lifestyle. It's hard to teach cows to walk up  ramps if you need to haul something besides horses .... hee hee hee

I am VERY pleased with how my Titan "squats" down close to the ground - I have 15" wheels/tires on mine.  But it's the Dexter torsion axles that put the trailer down closer to the ground than the old leaf-springs types. 

I love having 2 rear doors - I've helped others with a single rear door that won't stay open. Even the 2 doors might not stay open in a stiff wind, but it seems easier to handle.  I love being able to turn my horse around to walk out... funny thing, I hauled a friend's mare to her new home and the mare was so used to backing out of trailers, she backed out the whole way!!

And, when I'm camping, I simply put the saddle & pads (and any other smelly stuff) on the dividers in the horse area when I sleep in the GN.  It's not that big a deal to do.

Don't worry too much about padding - you can but ready-made pads for the walls and dividers from several horse catalogs, inexpensively.  Besides, without the pads, the horses have more space. ; )

Edited by gabz 2004-10-05 2:07 PM
titanman
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2004-10-05 7:41 PM (#15104 - in reply to #14992)

New User

Hello all!  My name is Bryan Smith, I am the Engineer for Titan Trailer Mfg.  I love seeing what you all have to say about our trailers.  I see by reading the current thread, one complaint is our dividers.  We pride ourselves for building what customers asks for or would like to see in their trailers.  What you are all seeing is our standard divider.  That doesn't mean we can't build a different divider or even a trailer to suit your needs/wants.  If you would like something on the front wall.  All a person needs to do is ask for it.  We advertise our trailers as "Custom Made Trailers", because when you get right down to it, the majority of all trailers differ in one way or another.  If anyone has any questions, please feel free to e-mail at info@titantrailer.com

Thank You,

Bryan Smith

Design Engineer

Titan Trailer Mfg.

haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2004-10-06 8:51 AM (#15124 - in reply to #15104)

Regular

Got ya didn't I
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2004-10-07 7:28 PM (#15202 - in reply to #14992)

Veteran

i got a 98 renegrade II.  it has been a real nice trailer and i get many compliments on its looks.   we use it for other things so i went with one big door on the back.    paint is still good on it.  it doesn't have any rust yet.  it came standard with 4 ft short wall in dressing room, 7ft ht, padding, wood lined walls except for the front slant wall.  i wished after i had gotten it that i had done that.  if i am not hauling 3 horses then i don't put a horse in the first stall.   the trailer is 6,8 wide and i have hauled 5 averg sized horses in it easily with the front divider out and locking the back one where the front one locks in.  it then squares offf the back.   i don't have a rear tack.  kinda wished now that i had gotten a removeable one.    when hauling 5 i put 2 in the front of the divder at a slant and then 3 facing the front in the back.    i have also hauled 4 with both dividers in.  2 will fit in the last spot since there is no rear tack. pics of the trailer can be seen at www.kklimited.com  click on for sale/breeding.  you then can click on the trailer pic for more pics. 

4DAHOSS
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2004-10-08 8:31 AM (#15227 - in reply to #14992)

Last August I upgraded from a 2001 2 horse CM bumper pull to a 2003 Titan Classic 2 and I have never been more pleased with a product.  It helped that I worked with the most dynamic dealer- even within a product line, not all dealers *want* your business.  I ordered a 2 horse GN, added a 6' short wall in the unfinished DR, camper door in DR and walk through door to horse section from DR.  get the walk through door- that one feature alone extends how you can use and enjoy the trailer!

Get the split rear doors- much eaiser to work with under extreme weather conditions and/or horses having a difficult loading day.  I have the collaspable rear tack, love it.  When I haul my mini's & cart I tuck the mini's in the front stall, collaspe the rear tack and put the cart in the back section.  While the metal is very strong, it is "girl friendly" to move around i.e.- taking out the saddle tree.  My daughters two barrel horses have plenty of room in the stalls.  The ventalation is excellent w/ the stock wall on the butt side, roof vents & windows open.  As is typical in all slant loads, sometimes the horse in the first stall (right by the DR wall) doesn't get as much moving air but it is no worse than what I found in regular straight loads.

My only disappointment is that the running lights dont' have enough "bling, bling" to them.  When leaving dark rodeo lots late at night there is a big difference between how lit up my rig is when compared to other rigs.  I would definitely recommend investigating upgrading the running lights package if possible. I went the cheap route and purchased high quality reflector tape to better define the ends/edges of the trailer.

After hauling this trailer for the past 14 months on average once a weekend, there is not one chip in the paint (I drive down 2 miles of gravel road to get to blacktop and you know how horses play "hay bag" games when tied to the trailer for several hours!) not one piece of bent metal or ripped stall lining along the floor.  I opted not to get stall padding because it tends to wear out quickly, IMO.

Good luck with your search.  CM is nice but there was a world of difference between the CM Dakota I owned and the Titan's I looked at.  I figured that upgrading from a Dakota BP to a CM steel GN was not the way to go.  For a small amount of more money there was a huge difference in the quality of the product. 

tigers1962
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2004-10-08 10:15 AM (#15233 - in reply to #14992)

We own a 98 Titan Classic II and we love it.  We have a 2HS slant with drop down windows and slats on rear side along with double rear doors, rear tack and a ramp and 9 ft. LQ's with a pass through door.  We also get quite a few compliments on it.  It is a beautiful, well built trailer, with NO rust whatsoever, and the welds are holding up just fine.  The trailer had never been stored inside until we bought it this year, and the paint still looks brand new.  If and when it comes time to trade up, we will definetely look at buying another TITAN!
AnnieGunn
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-26 11:49 AM (#28574 - in reply to #14992)

New User

What do you think of the drop down windows??? Do they seem small. I am really in the end stages of trying to decide if I want to get this trailer. For those that have a single door would you have gotten a double door and also, what about the rear tack. I have a 3 horse stock trailer with the large dressing room but not these options and I think I am leaning towards these options and would like your opinion. I am down sizing to a 2 horse and really like these trailers.
Thanks
nd deb
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 12:23 PM (#28576 - in reply to #14992)

Veteran

i like the titan renegrade i have but now after i have had it for 7 yrs I wouldn't mind having a collaspable tack and the double doors.  what i have works thou. 

the feed doors on the newer trailers are better then mine which is a 98.   I find with mine that the horses can easily hook their halters on the latch that hangs down for the door to latch into and then it can get bent down wards and then the feed door won't stay shut.  Have had it happen. The newer trailers aren't this way which is good.   The newer ones also have bars on the windows that can be fliped down.  My doesn't have this and if I have the feed doors down then the horse sticks their head out.    So, they have made some good improvements there. 

The trailer i have has been a great trailer.  Been thinking about getting a bigger trailer so i can put my vis a vis in and a horse.   Been looking at aluminum Elites and also have thought about just getting another titan renegrade.  

Babygoose
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 1:17 PM (#28578 - in reply to #14992)

Have not owned either a Titan or a Trails West, but have looked into both of them and they look like nice trailers.

My suggestion is whatever you get, make sure the ventilation is adequate. I know you are taking this into consideration, but when I bought my CM two horse trailer I never dreamed how hot it could get in there. (I live in SW New Mexico) Even insulated, that thing was hotter than hades in the summer. Dressing room was unbearably hot also. I ended up selling it for several reasons and am now going with a basic stock trailer. I don't want to worry if my horse has to stand on the trailer for any reason during the summer. At a recent show, we all took refuge from the sun and sat in my friends stock trailer since it was so much cooler in there.

Go with stock sides on both sides if possible or big drop windows and slats on the butt side. My guess is there will be very few days in Tucson where you would even have to shut the windows when trailering. If it gets a little chilly, just blanket the horses in the trailer. Horses build up a lot of body heat in a trailer.
Ceil
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-07-26 2:41 PM (#28584 - in reply to #14992)

New User

Thanks for all the input on the trailers. After doing a lot of research, we bought a Circle J because of the composite roof which keeps the trailer cooler than the steel.  I was torn between buying a stock and the Riata. We went with the Riata. We keep all windows and roof vents open. So far, Gus has remained cool. Although, I have not had him "parked" in it in the 100 plus temperatures. Oh, and, I went "Western" - slant and no ramp!
dylan1
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-07-28 5:16 PM (#28656 - in reply to #14992)

I have a Titan trailer I purchsed new in 2000, it is a Classic model, 3 horse slant, stock trailer sides, 2' short wall dressing room, collaspable tack, double rear doors, we have not had any problems with it. Now we have purchsed a 2003 Titan Renegade II with drop downs, 6' short wall, to camp in, it is so nice, it was already insulated and paneled, plus it has the door between the living quarters and horse area, I have also added an air conditioner, plus I want to do some kind of heater. This trailer is in very nice shape too, so I believe the Titans are a good trailer and hold up well to use.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)