'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Nissan Titan

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-14 8:08 PM
12 replies, 5238 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

msfoxtrot
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 7:15 AM (#26530)
Subject: Nissan Titan

New User

Need Info
I plan on towing a gooseneck horsetrailer and my husband is very interested in buying the Nissan Titan. After driving one he really liked the crewcab but it only comes with a 5 1/2 foot bed, is it even possible to put a gooseneck with an extender and make it work. We have talked to a few horse trailer dealers and one says it can work but I am leary as I am the one that will be towing. Also our limitations are a half ton truck since I will use the truck for towing only about 3% of the time.
Has anyone heard of or know of anyone that tows a gooseneck with that short of a bed?
Thanks
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 1:02 PM (#26546 - in reply to #26530)
Subject: RE: Nissan Titan

Elite Veteran

The Titan has the same frame on both the King Cab and Crew Cab, just like previous Ford 03 and back F150 SuperCrew and Super Cab short bed. Folks do use the Ford F150 Supercrew with it's 5'6" bed with goosenecks using an extender. B&W makes a Turn-over Ball for the Nissan Titan. In 2006 Ford is coming out with a 6'6" bed for the SuperCrew.
msfoxtrot
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 1:49 PM (#26551 - in reply to #26530)

New User

Thanks,
Any particular extender that is longer or better than another? Do I need to get a gooseneck that is tapered like a Sundowner?
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 1:54 PM (#26552 - in reply to #26530)

Elite Veteran

B&W has a 4" ball extender that probably won't be enough. PopUp has a 9 " gooseneck extention that should work. I have pictures at http://mrtruck.net/popup.htm and pictures of B&W at http://mrtruck.net/restore/mrtruck/b&wx.jpg
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 3:17 PM (#26554 - in reply to #26530)

Expert

Originally written by msfoxtrot on 2005-06-14 8:15 PM

Need Info I plan on towing a gooseneck horsetrailer and my husband is very interested in buying the Nissan Titan. After driving one he really liked the crewcab but it only comes with a 5 1/2 foot bed, is it even possible to put a gooseneck with an extender and make it work. We have talked to a few horse trailer dealers and one says it can work but I am leary as I am the one that will be towing. Also our limitations are a half ton truck since I will use the truck for towing only about 3% of the time. Has anyone heard of or know of anyone that tows a gooseneck with that short of a bed? Thanks

How large of a GN trailer are you considering??  Even if you only use the truck 3% of the time, you could easily be overloaded 100% of that time.  Did any of the truck or trailer dealers ask the weight of the trailer?

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 3:34 PM (#26557 - in reply to #26554)

Expert

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-06-14 3:17 PM

Originally written by msfoxtrot on 2005-06-14 8:15 PM

Need Info I plan on towing a gooseneck horsetrailer and my husband is very interested in buying the Nissan Titan. After driving one he really liked the crewcab but it only comes with a 5 1/2 foot bed, is it even possible to put a gooseneck with an extender and make it work. We have talked to a few horse trailer dealers and one says it can work but I am leary as I am the one that will be towing. Also our limitations are a half ton truck since I will use the truck for towing only about 3% of the time. Has anyone heard of or know of anyone that tows a gooseneck with that short of a bed? Thanks

How large of a GN trailer are you considering?? Even if you only use the truck 3% of the time, you could easily be overloaded 100% of that time. Did any of the truck or trailer dealers ask the weight of the trailer?

Surely thou doest jest ?

Getting O/T:
I wandered into the local Nissan place in the middle of last week.
About 7 stereotypical sales people in their matching corporate golf shirts all blithering at each other about the previous night's TV programs, NO evidence of sales going on. OK, so I wasn't dressed like an exec looking for a new Z or Maxima, but I might have beeen interested in a similar dollar value truck - they'll never know.

Another fun place these days is the local Jeep D_word_ship. With a bit of coaxing its amazing how large of a horse trailer they'll try to have you believe that little Liberty can pull, now that it has a diesel engine.

Q: "Ya really think it could pull more than my Chevvy 1 ton ?"
A: "SURE, these are the engines they put in 18 wheelers Y'know ?"
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 4:06 PM (#26560 - in reply to #26530)

Elite Veteran

Reg it is amazing how many folks walk into a dealership and think the salesperson, who was selling cell phones last week, is a truck/trailer expert. Nissan does do something different. Next time you're there ask for the truck manager. Since Nissan brought out it's first full size truck, the Titan, they now at every store have a truck manager they train to know something about trucks. It's a start. Usually the only truck knowledge at a dealership is in the fleet department. I sold trucks at dealerships, AAA Auto Club and Internet for 10 years. I could tell you stories. I've sold cars where I had to call the parents at 4 am in Japan to have the money wired, I sold to dead people conspiring to get insurance money. I sold to Russians, Saudi's and learned a whole bunch about negotiating. Shipped cars and trucks to other countries and even repo'd a semi or two. But I still have fun like you, walking in a showroom and harassing the green peas.
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 4:25 PM (#26561 - in reply to #26560)

Expert

I've been to the Ford place in town twice now and they just can't believe that a girl would need anything bigger than a half ton.  The first time they wouldn't help me because they "thought" I was waiting for my husband.    They made me so mad I walked across the street to the Dodge dealer and bought a truck.  The second time (3yrs later) I was just looking because I wanted a bigger truck and they kept trying to talk me into a half ton, I ALREADY HAVE A HALF TON!!
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 4:47 PM (#26563 - in reply to #26530)

Elite Veteran

You go girl !
msfoxtrot
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 4:51 PM (#26564 - in reply to #26530)

New User

Well, this is interesting. Actually I have never talked to a truck dealer about the towing capability. My understanding in talking to at least 10 different horse trailer dealers (asking about the towing rates I found in my current ford book) is that the truck dealers way under rate their trucks because they don't want them coming back under warranty with problems. So....I understand that they can actually tow more weight then rated. Also, to note that the half ton will do fine, with the bigger engines and rear axle ratio's etc. for certain weights of course. I have a stock trailer and am looking to buy an aluminum 2 horse gooseneck weighing between 3800 and 4400 lbs. I Have light trail horse 900-950 lbs. and about 500 lbs of feed, tack etc. so am not too concerned about using a half ton after all the horse trailer people I have talked too. The Nissan Titan sounds great as far as the torque, engine, axle, and the article Mr. Truck pointed out was right on. I feel I will be way under the 9200 lbs rated on the Nissan site. My big concern is finding out about the bed length working out before my husband purchases this truck. I promised him I would thoroughly investige the possiblilities of putting a gooseneck on this truck with the crew cab. Through my search on the internet the only half ton truck with a crew cab and 6 1/2 foot bed is GMC/Chevy. Trying to convince my husband that a king cab is good enough for the kids and any adults that ride in the back of the cab will just have to be squished. At least then he could still get the Nissan King Cab.
MrTruck
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 5:23 PM (#26569 - in reply to #26530)

Elite Veteran

Check out the door on the Nissan King Cab, it opens up to the bed, very easy to get into even in a parking lot, see pictures at www.TitanRegistry.com
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 5:25 PM (#26570 - in reply to #26564)

Expert

My dodge has no problem pulling my trailer, 20ft featherlite goosneck (steel, tapered nose), but I want to put LQ in it and it will add to much weight to the rear axl of the truck.  Right now I'm legal but not by much.  All the dealers I have talked to (truck and trailer) have all said "it will pull it with not problem" and it does.  But I have to watch the weights just in case I have to go over a scale somewhere.

I have a Ram 1500, quad cab with a 6 1/2 foot bed and have no problem with the gooseneck.

hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 8:08 PM (#26571 - in reply to #26564)

Expert

MSfoxtrot ..

You might be missing some of the details that match a truck's capabilities to a trailer.  In particular with a GN trailer, payload is critical.  A GN trailer will put about 15% to 25% of it's weight on the truck.  This is good for handling and stability, but the truck's suspension, frame, wheels, tires, etc have to be able to handle the hitch weight and all the stuff  and passengers.  A truck's payload is based on a full tank of fuel and the driver.  ANYTHING else is payload.  This includes the 200 pounds of GN hitch you'll have to add to the truck bed.

Total trailer weight is only a piece of the puzzle.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)