'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Mangers...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-14 3:23 PM
11 replies, 5933 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

fillyblue
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-13 11:31 PM (#26525)
Subject: Mangers...

New User

I have been horse trailer shopping, and I found an American Spirit horse trailer that I really like (2h BP w/DR).  So I got approved, and came home and started reading more about trailers.  I have always pictured a walk through trailer with mangers.  Now I am starting to panic and I am not so sure if mangers are really good or bad.  Could someone please give me some advice on this subject?  I am hauling a TB gelding (who trailers very well), and will probably never trailer more that 3-4 hours, if that ever.  But this is also a trailer I plan to have for a very long time.  I would appreciate any advice at all on this matter before it is too late (nothing signed yet).  Thank you.  I was also interested in a Bison at one point, and looked at a Titan Avalanche (but turned away because at the time I was sure I wanted mangers).  What do you think of these in comparison to the American Spirit?

Edited by fillyblue 2005-06-13 11:33 PM
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 5:49 AM (#26529 - in reply to #26525)
Subject: RE: Mangers...

Expert

Hi and Welcome to the Forum.

There is a recent post with a title that suggests manger problems in the "Horse Talk" forum. I havn't read it, since I don't have mangers and have no intention of getting a trailer with them.
One of the regular posters here has had a bad experience with a horse that likes to climb into a manger - maybe doesn't exactly LIKE to, but for some odd reason does so. I expect you will hear from that horse's owner.
haul_n_horses
Reg. Jul 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 7:56 AM (#26532 - in reply to #26529)

Regular

Personally I find mangers an ideal way to use mostly useless space.  You can get your saddles up and out of the way of the dressing room. 

Just my $0.02

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 10:10 AM (#26534 - in reply to #26525)

Elite Veteran

And while an idiot can climb in them & cause a big mess, the corallary is that in a sudden stop, mangers act as a firm stop against the horse's chest, rather than his face hitting the wall. Similar to a seatbelt- stop you by holding you where you are least likely to be injured. This scenario more aptly applies to a slant rather than a straight load however.

RTSmith

fillyblue
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 10:32 AM (#26536 - in reply to #26534)

New User

My horse has been in a borrowed trailer with mangers three times that I know of and seemed perfectly fine.  What I like about this trailer is the nose windows and screen in door form DR to horse area (seems for good airflow).  Would it be possible if I did have problems to have the wall redone or have the mangers removed?  Do you think this would be extremely costly?  Thanks.

Edited by fillyblue 2005-06-14 10:34 AM
MBRA518
Reg. Sep 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 10:42 AM (#26538 - in reply to #26534)

Extreme Veteran

Originally written by RTSmith on 2005-06-14 11:10 AM

And while an idiot can climb in them & cause a big mess, the corallary is that in a sudden stop, mangers act as a firm stop against the horse's chest, rather than his face hitting the wall. Similar to a seatbelt- stop you by holding you where you are least likely to be injured. This scenario more aptly applies to a slant rather than a straight load however.

RTSmith

I think you had that mixed up - a horse in a slant will not come against the manger in a stop. I've also heard of horses injuring knees on mangers in a sudden stop, bad bump or quick turn.

It was my idiot mare (that Reg was refering to) that climbs things... not too much you can do about it other than remove the thing to climb on. And a horse with 4 feet off the ground in a trailer is not scenario I'd like to replay on the side of the road. IMO mangers are just not worth the risk, even if the horse isn't a climber, all it would take is a bump at the wrong time or bee sting on the butt and up they go... I'll never have mangers in a trailer.

barn_goddess
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 11:26 AM (#26539 - in reply to #26525)

I have mangers in my trailer and I love them. Great storage. If your horses are in a slant load when you stop they are going to lean against the dividers not the managers. As far as a bee sting or whatever that can happen anywhere, anytime and in any trailer. It is pretty much a matter of personal perference. I have living quarters and there is no other place to put all my gear, so I am glad that I have the managers. I have never had any problems with my horses riding in them. Good luck to you in your quest for the perfect trailer. 50
gabz
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 11:48 AM (#26540 - in reply to #26539)

Expert

Built-in mangers, on a straight load, can be a blessing or a nuisance.

As RTSmith said - it gives the horse a better "wall" to lean against in a sudden stop; however, as MBRA and I have found - a horse CAN get stuck in there too. My always-traveled-well, safe-sane gelding suddenly popped into the manger on my beloved 2H straight load - Took a couple of very good friends to help get him out.

SO... if you like the trailer and you want built-in mangers - just be sure that there is NO LIP - that is, not upright piece at the edge of the manger towards the horse. If your trailer COMES with a lip - have someone build up the manger so that it is level and smooth. That way if the horse DOES get into the manger, they can just slide back out again.

Make sure that your mangers are very solid; steel, and well-supported and HOPEFULLY - you will never have to experience the horror of having this happen.

Edited by gabz 2005-06-14 11:49 AM
Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 12:52 PM (#26544 - in reply to #26525)

Expert

I don't have mangers in my slant, but I loved them when I had my 2 horse bumperpull.  It gave me somewhere to put hay and a water bucket.
Jbsny
Reg. Apr 2004
Posted 2005-06-14 2:40 PM (#26553 - in reply to #26525)

Extreme Veteran

I have a BP manger straight load trailer and I love it.   I got a walk thru and sold it shortly after because my tack got all messed up with no place to put it except in the truck.  Traded it in on another BP manger.

If you are a sane driver, the horses are confident of you, you should have no problems. 

My friend had a walk thru and her horse went up over it on one of her trips, no manger at all but the same deal.  She thinks that it was something from behind had scared him.  So her next trailer had tail screens with windows to help protect his fragile psyche -- could have been a truck or something that forced him to startle forward.

Jbsny

heritage lane farm
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-14 3:20 PM (#26555 - in reply to #26525)

Regular

Welcome to the forum. I pulled a two horse trailer with mangers for 30+ years. While I never had a problem, and yes the storage space is great, I would not get another one. Tom and Neva Scheve's book "The Complete Guide to Trailering" pointed out that the horse can not lower it's head to clear out the mucus membranes in a manger situation. That's probably not a problem with short distance hauling. However, since I have had my straight load, no manager, we have been on several 1,000 mile plus treks. I was glad the horses had the freedom for their heads. Also, a walk thru with a chest bar is much more open and inviting to a horse (my opinion only) than staring in at a manger. Also, I am a firm believer in straight loads over slants, but that is whole other discussion that has been repeatedly discussed on this forum. 

Just my opinion!

Brenda

NoSpam
Reg. Feb 2005
Posted 2005-06-14 3:23 PM (#26556 - in reply to #26525)

Veteran

I have a trailer with mangers, one without, and I had one manger removed. :-)  Also have one horse that will climb into mangers and 4 that don't (he also paws the trailer constantly while it's moving).

Removing them will be fairly expensive, you may get into rust or things that need done if you remove them, I would NOT plan on removing them.  I had one removed because that stall is turning into a shower.

The mangers are great for my horses that trailer well.  I love them, the horses can eat easily out of them.  All of my gear fits into the space under the mangers.  Love it!  I have not yet put my horse that climbs into the mangered trailer...  I did have the welder check my mangers and make sure a horse can't fall through them.  The steel is heavy enough in mine that it should be OK no matter what.  The nice thing about my manger trailer is that the horses can see the horse next to them (the mangers have bars dividing them), which may mean my climber will be happier in there.  Who knows??

The trailer without mangers is really nice if you need the extra space.  A horse can easily turn around in there or can be hauled loose in a large box stall if necessary.  I wouldn't try that with the mangers because there's not as much room to turn.  I have had to haul emergency colics, etc. (thank God, not my own) and it's a true luxury to have a large open box stall when you really, really need one.  When I hauled my BLM mustang and two rescue foals (not at the same time!) it was really nice to have a big open box for them.  Using dividers would have been an absolute wreck.  I can also fit more things into my trailer without mangers - I can haul my horse and my husband's 4-wheeler at the same time, for example.  I can also haul 2 4-wheelers, which isn't possible in the mangered trailer...  I do have fabric mangers for this trailer, but they are always getting torn up somehow.  I can hang a haynet, but I don't like having loose hay swinging near their faces.

So there are the pros and cons that I've experienced. :-)

Happy Trails,

Michelle

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World