'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Comments/Experience with MSRP and the real price?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-06-10 4:17 PM
4 replies, 3344 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 1:09 PM (#26335)
Subject: Comments/Experience with MSRP and the real price?

Regular

I see internet horse trailer sites that post their price, some that post a wholesale price and some that post the MSRP price.  I didn't pay MSRP for my dually truck and assume correctly or incorrectly that I shouldn't pay that for a trailer?  How far off MSRP do most dealers drop? On one site, a trailer is listed for "wholesale" at $16K and on another site that trailer is listed MSRP for $29K.  Is it then fair to assume that the site with is posted MSRP should be willing to take something in the range of $16-17K for the same trailer?  Or should I assume the dealer will accept something in the middle of the 2? 

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
rodeodad
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 2:15 PM (#26344 - in reply to #26335)
Subject: RE: Comments/Experience with MSRP and the real price?

Having just purchased a 4 horse slant with 11 ft short wall w/ LQ. Who is to say what the MSRP actually is on a trailer. You can look at identical trailers at different dealers and get 2 different MSRP prices. Then you get 2 different price quotes of what they will sell the trailer for. And if you throw in a trade thats a whole different story. Decide what you want, brand you want, then get a feel for what the average asking price is and go from there. We shopped and looked for over a year. We had a trade-in and no-one seemed to want to give its fair market value at trade. Finally bought  trailer from a dealer 2 states away off this site, sight unseen by us except for email pictures with a trade to dealer for what we were asking that he had never seen except for email pictures. He was willing to deal  on price of trailer and work with us on financeing at the interest rate we wanted. Good luck, take your time, do not let a fast talking salesman talk you into something you are not sure of, in other words do your homework. 

Reg
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-06-10 2:19 PM (#26345 - in reply to #26335)

Expert

It is just the SELLING game.
There is an assumption that everyone wants to believe they're getting a great deal, even if it is 30% off a price that is 30% over (real) value.
I think you have to do the homework on the particular trailer(s) that you're interested in and try to get the best price you can. Unfortunately MSRP, wholesale and "list" are wrds that some dealers use as distractions.

HOW MUCH ? Is what you need the answer to, not what percentage off.
rollingrfarm
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 2:22 PM (#26346 - in reply to #26335)

Regular

Thanks, I'm good at homework.  When we bought our Dodge diesel, I got internet quotes, then went to a dealership who had given me the best quote, and didn't mention it, just looked around and the salesman "brought me under his wing" and told me that MSRP was what the dealer paid when he got the truck from the maker.  Then he gave me his bottomline and when I whipped out my internet quote he went white.  He called in his supervisor and they had to honor it.  They told me that I should have showed them that piece of paper first!  I guess I embarrassed him?  
Blue
Reg. Jan 2005
Posted 2005-06-10 4:17 PM (#26354 - in reply to #26335)

New User

I just purchased a new trailer. It was a custom order, not one off the lot. I figured I had a bit of time that way to dig up valid pricing on it. The deal was a no obligation to buy arrangement, so I ordered it figuring I could do more research.

The price was a bit of sticker shock for me. So, then I spent extensive effort to figure out the "going" price, got ads, both paper and internet. Went back to the dealer and negotiated a very fair price for the unit.

I never did see the trailer in RL. I saw older, entry level versions of it and liked what I saw there. the only disappointment for me was that the deluxe model came with drop downs, but alas they are the smaller size ones, not safe to have a horse's head hanging out:(

Just do your homework and be aggressive with the dealers.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)