'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Question about selling a trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2005-08-21 11:58 PM
12 replies, 5136 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-07-29 3:24 PM (#28697)
Subject: Question about selling a trailer

Veteran

I have my trailer listed for sale and this is the first one I am selling. Although the trailer is not real expensive, should I require only cash or Cashier's Check/Money Order as a form of payment ? Also, I hear all sorts of things about fake Cashier's Checks - should I make a copy of the title for the buyer to take but send them the original only when the check has been cleared ? If the potential buyer wants to pull it to "test it out", what precautions should I take ?

Any other advice on selling ? I have it at a boarding stable so I am not concerned about safety issues showing it.

Thanks !!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 4:52 PM (#28701 - in reply to #28697)
Subject: RE: Question about selling a trailer

Expert

Unless it's cash, hang on to the title.  Write up a bill of sale (2 copies) that buyer and seller can have with original signatures.  Only exception is a cashier's check with local branches AND a day's notice to you, with the check number.  That way you can call a branch and verify the check validity.  Look up the phone number yourself

..."Trust, but verify"

As for the test drive, ride along, Kidnapping is a federal offense if you cross a state line. lol

headhunter
Reg. Oct 2004
Posted 2005-07-29 5:03 PM (#28703 - in reply to #28701)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by hosspuller on 2005-07-29 2:52 PM

As for the test drive, ride along, Kidnapping is a federal offense if you cross a state line. lol

I would suggest calling someone before you leave on the test drive, and letting them know you are leaving, in what kind of rig and the license number, and the names of the people. Might even go as far as to take a look at their driver's license. If you have printer/scanner/copier at home, you might take a copy of their driver's license and insurance information too. You will want to make sure they have insurance before you let them pull your trailer.

Establish a time you will call your safety person back when you return, and set up two code words. One for "all is ok" the other for "send help". Be sure to take a cell phone with you.

MIfarmbabe
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 5:17 PM (#28704 - in reply to #28697)

Extreme Veteran

As far as cash only sale? Unless a local buyer, who wants to travel with a large bundle of CASH in their wallet? Cashier's check, you are probably alright but get the buyer's bank phone number and location before they drop you the check. I like the idea of sending them the title once the check has cleared, but then again, they might not "trust" you into sending them the title! It's a sad world we live in!

My experience last year with selling a trailer last fall went like this, too good to be true!! Someone called me on a Saturday from out of state and had seen the ad for it(from this site) and we settled on a price and then someone was sent up my way to pick it up on Monday with a cashier's check. I was quite leary of the whole situation, but all went well and the deal was final. They took the trailer and title and handed over the cashier's check. Would I do it that way again? Hard to say because I was afraid the check would not clear. However I did copy the driver's license plate down and did make copies of the title, but how much leverage would that get me if it turned out to be a scam?

farmbabe
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2005-07-29 5:49 PM (#28706 - in reply to #28697)

Expert

When I sold a trailer, I asked for a money order drawn from a local bank-since it was sold within the state and only a few hours away, it all went just fine. Otherwise you can call the bank the check is drawn on and verfiy the account......

Terri
Reg. Jan 2004
Posted 2005-07-30 10:50 AM (#28716 - in reply to #28697)

Expert

You could tell them you want a postal money order and before they can take the trailer you want to make a trip to your post office to check to see if it's real.  Just let them know that there has been some problems with fraud in your area (even if there isn't) so they don't take it personally.  I have a friend that sold her car recently and that is what she did.
sable812
Reg. Feb 2004
Posted 2005-07-30 9:18 PM (#28720 - in reply to #28697)

Veteran

Well I guess I was a fool. I bought a $34000 trailer site unseen and wired the money to the owners then drove 16 hours one way to pick up the trailer. I was trusting huh. They had another person waiting to buy it. What other choice would I have had?
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-07-30 10:35 PM (#28726 - in reply to #28720)

Expert

Originally written by sable812 on 2005-07-30 8:18 PM

Well I guess I was a fool. I bought a $34000 trailer site unseen and wired the money to the owners then drove 16 hours one way to pick up the trailer. I was trusting huh. They had another person waiting to buy it. What other choice would I have had?

Nah .. Don't be so hard on yourself ... You were trusting and everything turned out fine?  Not all transactions are with scoundrels .. Most are fine ... E-bay has millions of transactions.  A few bad actors spoil it for everybody... a fact of life.

Another choice would have been a deposit wired with a check for the balance in hand, that the sellers could verify.  You would only be out a fraction of the $34,000 if the deal was a scam.  If all was well, then the rest of the deal is completed.

Painted Horse
Reg. May 2005
Posted 2005-07-31 9:07 AM (#28728 - in reply to #28697)

Expert

I just sold mine in June. I listed it on a local website and here on this website. I got one phone call from this website from a fellow 800 miles away. He agreed to my price and to wait two weeks until my new trailer was ready. I was very concerned about making sure I really got my money, Since I didn't want to try and find my trailer in another state if the money wasn't really there.

Of course the next day I two calls from local folks, offering me even more if I'd cancel the first sell and sell to them. I was very interested in selling to them, Not for the extra money, but rather because I knew where to find them with a 15-30 minute drive. But I felt I had given my word to the first caller and needed to honor.

I had him send me $100 to hold the trailer. Which I cashed immediately and it cleared. With that check I called his bank and verified how long he had account, whether the check would clear etc. I got on the internet and checked out his personal history. It jived with what he had told me on the phone. His address was valid, I was also able to find out where he had gone to high school, which backed up what he had told me about where he had grown up. As well as his age.

When I delivered the trailer, looked at his drivers license to make sure the picture on it was him and the addresses all substaintiated what I had researched.

I delivered the trailer and kept the title until the check cleared. Which it did.

On another note. When I listed the trailer I immediately got a couple of offers that I knew where not legit. People from outside the country, sending email offers to buy the trailer for full listed price if I'd ship it to Canada. You could tell immediately that nobody in their right mind would purchase and ship a $12,000 trailer that far. It would just add too much to the original cost. I didn't even respond to those emails suspecting them as fraud.
Champhorse
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2005-08-01 11:41 AM (#28748 - in reply to #28697)

Veteran

Thanks for all your replies. I did sell the trailer and everything went just great. We agreed on a price and he went to a local bank just up the street and got a cashier's check for the selling price. I made a copy of the title and wrote down his license information in case there were problems. Everything went off without a hitch.
Thanks for your suggestions.
krys
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2005-08-03 12:18 AM (#28806 - in reply to #28716)

Elite Veteran

Originally written by Terri on 2005-07-30 7:50 AM

You could tell them you want a postal money order and before they can take the trailer you want to make a trip to your post office to check to see if it's real. 

Postal money orders are one of the most counterfeited items around here. And if I remember right, there is a dollar limit on how high they can be. Your best bet would be to get a cashier's check drawn on a bank local to you so it is easily verified. Better yet, why don't you and the seller make trip to the bank together. With fraud and ID theft so high, making an extra trip to the back is a small price to pay.

BTW...congrats on your sale!

Jean F.
Reg. Jul 2005
Posted 2005-08-03 10:04 PM (#28854 - in reply to #28697)

Regular

When I bought my trailer last month, I paid in cash.  It was a couple hundred miles away in a resort area, so we went for a weekend getaway and to pick up the trailer.  I was nervous carrying that amount of cash ($7500).  I wore a moneybelt under my jeans for 2 days!  I wanted to deal in cash to avoid any question about authenticity of the funds.  And it was a Saturday and I wanted to take the trailer home on Sunday, when no banks would be open.

greywynd
Reg. Apr 2005
Posted 2005-08-21 11:58 PM (#29461 - in reply to #28728)

Originally written by Painted Horse on 2005-07-31 10:07 AM

On another note. When I listed the trailer I immediately got a couple of offers that I knew where not legit. People from outside the country, sending email offers to buy the trailer for full listed price if I'd ship it to Canada. You could tell immediately that nobody in their right mind would purchase and ship a $12,000 trailer that far. It would just add too much to the original cost. I didn't even respond to those emails suspecting them as fraud.

Hey, I resemble that remark. Chances are fairly high that next trailer that we buy will be south of the border, and I know several others that have bought them there already. Now, the inquiry you got may have been a fake, but remember, there are a lot of Canadians that will drive south to buy stuff. (I'm currently getting ready to get some excavator parts shipped up from Virginia.)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)