'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Dinette or couch

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2015-02-10 1:05 PM
15 replies, 9050 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

brianpatton
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2015-01-31 8:29 PM (#162420)
Subject: Dinette or couch

New User

Hello out there, my wife and I are looking at buying our first LQ GN horse trailer and so many of the ones we look at have a couch but no dinette. Realizing that both convert into a bed we think the dinette would be more practical. Has anybody had both kinds of trailers or a strong preference for one or the other. Thanks for any feedback.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2015-01-31 8:36 PM (#162421 - in reply to #162420)
Subject: RE: Dinette or couch

Expert

You should receive replies favouring each type of seating. We switched from a dinette to a fold out couch and were very pleased. The dinette does offer more storage areas underneath the benches.
cajunmuleman
Reg. Oct 2011
Posted 2015-02-01 6:05 AM (#162423 - in reply to #162420)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Gard, it is all about personal preference. I have a jack knife sofa that has pull out drawers underneath for storage. It is less than under most dinettes but many times the fresh water tank is put under one of the dinette seats.
TS351
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2015-02-01 6:26 AM (#162424 - in reply to #162420)

Regular

We have had dinettes in our's and some of our friends have had couches, we prefer dinettes because you have a larger fixed table available at all times to use for preparing meals, eating, keeping napkins,silverware , etc. available on reading maps, mags., etc. Its nice when the weather is bad to have a place to eat, play cards etc., where with the couch you have a smaller one sided (without adding chairs) table that in most sits on the floor(some do secure into floor)that you need to find somewhere to store when traveling. That said our friends prefer couch because without the table set up you have little more room inside and you can use it to take a nap they also use it for their dog bed. As said they both convert to an extra bed so it comes down to your preference and how you plan to utilize your LQ. Good luck in your search and you will love having a LQ trailer
calamityj
Reg. Jun 2005
Posted 2015-02-01 7:25 AM (#162426 - in reply to #162420)

Elite Veteran

We have a dinette... I wish it were a sofa round with a removable table...when we camp, the only time we use the table is when it is cold or stormy.. but our guts are under the seats, we could make a small change adding a "bridge" across the back, and upholster it....
clarkironkay
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-02-01 1:58 PM (#162430 - in reply to #162420)

We have had our small (6.5') lq for just about 2 years now - love it & feel fortunate to have it. It has a couch. If & when we are able to go with a larger lq we definitely want a dinette. Would love to have a place to sit at at table to eat if we want to, to look at a map or book, etc. Realize everyone has different needs, but that is what our experiences have made us feel we would utilize.
brianpatton
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2015-02-01 4:00 PM (#162431 - in reply to #162430)

New User

Thank you so much for all your feedback, it really helps us. We feel we are going to go after a dinette, I like the idea of map reading, cards etcBrian and Alison
kooner
Reg. Jun 2011
Posted 2015-02-01 4:05 PM (#162432 - in reply to #162420)

Extreme Veteran

we have had both and I like the dinette over the sofa, we now have both and that is the way to go if you get a large enough LQ
trbomax
Reg. May 2014
Posted 2015-02-01 7:33 PM (#162434 - in reply to #162420)

Regular

we have had both,and in the end.the dinette wins. One of the main reasons we sold the Merhow was it had a couch and no dinette,other than that it was a great trailer.Our new one has both on a 12' super slide,but the couch is comming out and two recliners going in.If you have to choose,I'd go dinette,much more useful.
brianpatton
Reg. Jan 2015
Posted 2015-02-01 8:29 PM (#162435 - in reply to #162434)

New User

Thank you so much for your feedback
bjhouten
Reg. Nov 2004
Posted 2015-02-02 12:45 PM (#162444 - in reply to #162420)

Extreme Veteran

I like the couch so I can lay down without having to get in bed. I have some small folding tables that I keep in my manager for when the weather is bad or too hot, and we want to play cards inside. It is personal preference for sure. Of course you could always get a LQ with both, then you don't have to decide. :-)
ThreeCW
Reg. Apr 2014
Posted 2015-02-02 5:10 PM (#162445 - in reply to #162420)

Veteran

We bought our first living quarters about a year ago and also "thought" we wanted at dinette ... so we shopped hard for a good quality used LQ with a dinette … because that is what we “thought” we wanted.

It turned out that only about 10% of the quality used trailers we were shopping for had dinettes (do a search of HTW with “dinette” and without “dinette” in it and you will see what I mean). From what we could find last year, it was darn near impossible to find a quality trailer with our desired “dinette”.

We had also spoken to a few trailer retailers and they confirmed that people just don’t want “dinettes” as much any more … likely perhaps 10% of the trailers out there. For this reason, keep in mind that a “dinette” trailer may have a smaller resale market.

We were referred to a used Hart trailer locally that had a “beautiful Outlaw LQ package” … since it was within 10 miles of home, we decided to have a look, even thought it did NOT have the dinette we “thought” we wanted.

It turned out that the 13 ft LQ package on that trailer had the 6 ft couch plus a swivel chair on the opposite wall. With the post mounted table in the middle, you kind of have the effect of the dinette plus lots of dancing room with the table removed.

We are really glad that we bought this “new to us” trailer WITHOUT the dinette. We find the couch to be a more usable option and it is much more comfortable to sit on compared to a dinette. And there is the afternoon nap potential too!

Our lesson learned was to look at both options (dinette vs. couch) and buy the one that you fall in love with.

Regards, 3CW
cutter99
Reg. Sep 2007
Posted 2015-02-02 6:02 PM (#162446 - in reply to #162420)

Extreme Veteran

We spent 6 months last year living in a 5th wheel RV while we built a house. Our RV had both a couch and dinette. We used both a lot, but when we went to buy another LQ recently, I asked my husband which he preferred. He wanted a dinette, so that is what we got. I think it comes down to personal preference. We just happened to get enough experience this past year to know what we wanted!
Three 4 Luck
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2015-02-03 6:29 AM (#162449 - in reply to #162420)

Regular

Our current trailer has both, and I specifically shopped for one with both because that's what meets our needs at this time. If you have young kids, a dinette is wonderful for eating, coloring, playing games. The couch makes a more comfortable bed, but we keep a small egg crate foam to use on the dinette when it's a bed and that helps tremendously. I had only a dinette before this trailer and was happy with it. It made a great base for setting up a pack n play, and it also is easier to visit with people when you sit facing them, as opposed to lined up on a couch like turtles on a log. LOL
ridingstaz
Reg. Feb 2015
Posted 2015-02-06 1:57 PM (#162479 - in reply to #162420)

New User

I've been debating the same issue and both have merit. I am leaning toward the couch since I don't have room for both. In all my years of RV camping the dinettes are not as comfortable as a couch for sleeping. On most couches you can fit two comfortably, but the dinettes are just ok for small children. At the end of the day when tired the couches are easier to fold out or can be used for just one as they are. It is also nice to have a supportive seat at the end of the day on ye old back! Since we show we are in the rain... outside and can sit under the awning with table and chairs. An awning is a must though!
scottc79
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2015-02-10 1:05 PM (#162521 - in reply to #162420)

We have both in our and if I could not have both I would pick the couch if I slept more than two people and if not I would get the dinette
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)