'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Prepping Tires for Winter Storage

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-11-11 1:40 PM
4 replies, 3540 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

adeberti
Reg. May 2007
Posted 2013-11-08 2:06 PM (#155702)
Subject: Prepping Tires for Winter Storage

Veteran

Getting ready to store the trailer for the winter as it won't get any use for several monhts (mid March, combo of weather, wife's pregnancy, finishing MBA program)Tires are Goodyear Marathon and have individual covers already.The trailer is parked outside on gravel: should i put something under the tires?(mats, but don't want them to puddle) and perhaps have it lean more towards the front to relief some of the weight from the tires (GN)?Since the trailer is a GN and in the winter months we put back a shell on the truck it will be difficult for me to move it to rotate the contact point for the tires ( could always barrow a friend truck)Anything else?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
yeehaw
Reg. Mar 2010
Posted 2013-11-08 3:14 PM (#155703 - in reply to #155702)
Subject: RE: Prepping Tires for Winter Storage

Veteran

Just my guess, I would elevate the nose for natural water drainage to prevent any possible water pooling on top, and I'd park it on some slabs of wood. Any flat spots should even out in a few miles of towing. I'd keep the tires covered though.
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-11-08 7:43 PM (#155704 - in reply to #155702)

Veteran

We are subject to use the trailer all winter. So nothing special there. BUT, The first time salt is laid down the 56 Merc goes in the garage, sit it on jack stands and the tires let down to about 10 lbs. It stays there till spring. If you can do something similar, you should be in good shape come May.
d2allen
Reg. Jan 2011
Posted 2013-11-11 11:33 AM (#155730 - in reply to #155704)

Arieldouglas,Why do you let most of the air out? Down to 10 lbs is pretty low. Or do you mean you reduce pressure by 10 lbs from the max?I would think to inflate the tires to their max during storage. That way, there is less chance the tires will flatten where they contact the ground.
Arieldouglas
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-11-11 1:40 PM (#155735 - in reply to #155702)

Veteran

I won't be driving it (1956 Mercury Monterey) during the winter so I put it up on jack stands. The tires don't touch the ground. I let the pressure down so there is not the constant pressure of the air trying to get out and causing cracks in the rubber. I might pull the horse trailer any time during the winter so it doesn't work for it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)