'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Shopping for my first trailer

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2013-08-18 3:22 AM
4 replies, 3513 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

janeven
Reg. Mar 2011
Posted 2013-08-16 10:00 AM (#154044)
Subject: Shopping for my first trailer

New User

I'm shopping for my first trailer. I want a 2-horse slant bumper pull with bars and dropdown windows. I am hoping to find a used one with steel frame and aluminum skin of fairly recent vintage. So many different brands, it's confusing. How would you stack-rank the various brands? Any recommendations?
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
jim bob
Reg. Jan 2008
Posted 2013-08-16 10:10 AM (#154045 - in reply to #154044)
Subject: RE: Shopping for my first trailer

Extreme Veteran

Look for a trailer that the manufacturer makes their own drop down feed doors; in other words, stay away from the black rubber surround glass type after market drop downs.  Most companies that make their own feed doors, also make their own drop down aluminum face guards; and they'll be heavier made than the after markets.  The hinges will usually be welded, if aluminum; or riveted if stainless steel hinges.  This type of trailer has a lot of longevity; and will hold their value longer than lower dollar makes.
oldfashioned
Reg. Aug 2013
Posted 2013-08-16 3:11 PM (#154055 - in reply to #154044)

I advise measuring the length of the stalls to be sure they are long enough for your horses to be comfortable. I recently looked at some lower priced steel trailers whose slant stalls were only 84 inches long. IMHO this just does not allow enough room. Most straight loads allow about 120" for a horse stall. When I was shopping I watched for plastic latches in horse areas, neatness of the welds, how solid the doors & hold backs were. I came to the conclusion some of these newer trailers that claim light weights have lots of cheaper points, such as smaller light duty tires. At least if you get a used one you will see how it's held up. I don't know if you can go by brand name alone as they seem to be offering intro models in the more expensive brands now.
jackbrat
Reg. Sep 2005
Posted 2013-08-18 12:36 AM (#154079 - in reply to #154044)

Elite Veteran

I think Logan offers a nice one. They have many different floor plans and many different sizes. (meaning warmblood size too)Which I would definitely get extra tall and wide as you can never have enough room. Do NOT let the dealer tell you, "yes...your horse will fit in this."

Been there done that.

Bhill
Reg. May 2013
Posted 2013-08-18 3:22 AM (#154080 - in reply to #154044)

Veteran

In the west Charmac builds a very nice well built trailer. Our first trailer was a 2 place slant with tackroom. Then our herd grew:) My advise if you can find a three horse to suit your needs- buy it- the extra room is nice and your never know if your herd may grow at sometime / wink /
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)