'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
Need help w/Sundower Trailer fix its

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-19 9:54 PM
4 replies, 3975 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

dona5161
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-15 11:51 PM (#145608)
Subject: Need help w/Sundower Trailer fix its

New User

I bought a 97 Sundown Horzion Ranch 3 horse slant with some fix up needs I'd like to get some advice to help me figure out the best route to go with some of the issues I'm facing.

Issue one, I replaced some of the lights and some bases as well. All the lights are working good except 2 of the 3 marker lights that run across the top rear of the trailer. I replaced the lights but they still don't work. The bases are attched with brads instead of screws so for me to change them I'll have to drill them out? I was hoping I could find the problem before doing that. I check the wires from the markers, they run inside the trailer across the back but didn't see anything like a bare wire that could cause the problem. The rest of the wires run down inside the framework of the trailer so I can't get to them at all. Does anyone have a suggestion of what to try?

Issue two, Whats the best caulking to use on the outside seams of the trailer? I treated the inside and outside rust areas with OSPHO. WOW that stuff is awesome! but now I need to re-caulk and need to know what to use. Also should I use the same on the inside seams of the roof?

Issue three, The roof leaks and has some rust at the seams. The previous owner sealed the top of the roof with some kind of clear stuff...over the rust. Well it's not working because it leaks and it looks like crap. I want to remove the clear stuff he used, treat the rusted seams with OSPHO and re-seal it. I've heard other people say they used Eternalbond tape to seal the roof seams on horse trailers and it works great but nobody says anything about painting over it. I've emailed Eternalbond asking about painting it but haven't received a response yet. Has anyone used Eternalbond and painted it?

Thanks for the help in advance and any advice or suggestions is greatly appreciated.
Donna
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
dona5161
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-17 11:03 PM (#145665 - in reply to #145608)
Subject: RE: Need help w/Sundower Trailer fix its

New User

wow, did I scare everybody? lol 
gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-07-17 11:32 PM (#145666 - in reply to #145608)

Expert

You can easily check if you have voltage to the lights before you change them out. With a multi meter, put the + lead on the wire going to the bulb's base, and the black wire on the trailer's body where the bare metal can be touched. If you have 12v the bulb's socket is probably bad. If not, the wiring to the light base is bad.

Ospho is an excellent rust converter. Once the old caulking and loose rust is removed from the roof, the Ospho will stop the present rust and act as a primer for any other application. Marine caulkings are much better than the household types found at the big box stores.

The "clear stuff" can be removed with a sander. Another product called an elastomeric coating, can seal and weather proof the whole roof with an easy roller/brush application. It will result in a white roof that is heat reflective, and will stop any further rusting. Depending upon the size of your roof, a five gallon bucket can result in two coats, at a cost of ~$90. The better products are warranted for 10 years and can be easily recoated.

RTSmith
Reg. Nov 2003
Posted 2012-07-18 8:11 AM (#145671 - in reply to #145608)

Elite Veteran

For what it is worth- on your trailer, there will be only 1 wire going to each light, supplying the power. The ground path will be through one of the mounting rivets. You can check for power by grounding a test light elsewhere, and looking for power in the base. If the trailer has been sitting for some time, it is not unusual for that ground to break down. Often you can take a flat punch and tap the rivet and it will reconnect the ground path. If that doesn't work, then you'll need to remove & clean it. Crud gets caught underneath and may need to be cleaned out.

Originally- I believe your Horizon would have had clear silicone on the seams. Just FYI.
dona5161
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-19 9:54 PM (#145705 - in reply to #145608)

New User

Great advice from you guys, thank you so much. I will check out the coating for the roof, it sounds like it might be easier to roll paint stuff on instead of trying to line up a strip of tape type material over the seams. The trailer is white so I'm think that might make it a bit easier than if it was a another color. Thanks again for the advice!! 
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)