'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
McQuerry two horse - any ideas on weight?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-07-03 9:10 AM
4 replies, 4605 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

OakGroveRider
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-01 6:20 PM (#145250)
Subject: McQuerry two horse - any ideas on weight?

Howdy-

I am wondering if anyone can help me figure out the age and/or weight of this trailer. I know the company went out of business in the mid to late 80's or maybe the early 90's. I am figuring it’s an early to mid 80's model...

I am a little worried about the weight- that’s what I really need to figure out.

Any educated guesses or ideas based on comparable trailers from the time?

Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
equinetransport
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-07-01 6:41 PM (#145251 - in reply to #145250)
Subject: RE: McQuerry two horse - any ideas on weight?

There is a Flying J and Pilot in Oak Grove, Kentucky. Take it down there and use the scales.

Best of luck

Jim Clark-Dawe
OakGroveRider
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-02 5:14 PM (#145300 - in reply to #145250)

Thanks that is a reasonable idea to be sure- at this time the trailer is in the next town over and it needs a tire (really it needs all of them replaced, but with one I could get it to the scale).

It's a friend’s trailer and for sale for only 1000 - she knows the tires need replaced- but the floor is new and the electrical works and it is structurally sound as a bell. The investment in tiers and even some paint would be worth it if my truck can haul it.

I am concerned that it will be a smidge over my Titan's capacity. I don't want to put a gooseneck hitch in my truck - or replace a tire so I can haul to the scale if I can’t use the trailer. We already have a bP hitch – I can just keep looking for a trailer.

I was looking at an 88 steel 2 horse Rustler (looked just like this, but in stainless steel) on HTW – the dealer said it was hauled with an f-150 no problem and had an empty weight of only 3850… that would be fine… but another trailer I looked at (on ebay) that was this same style said it had a GVWR of 10500. That’s too much for the Titan’s max of 9400.

An empty weight of 3850 would be okay with two horses and stuff- there’s no LQ- just tack… but I don’t want a trailer my truck can’t haul. It would be better for me to wait and find a bp (I have roughly a 3500 budget; an aluminum GN is not in my range).

The current owner is trying to get in touch with the lady she bought it from about 6 years ago for the title- we don’t need a title in this state. That should have some info on it- if it’s found.

Anyway- after so much rambling, I was just wondering if anyone had an educated guess on the year and weight based on prior experience with this type of trailer.

Thanks again for the suggestion- we may still try to figure out a way to get it over to the scales.

equinetransport
Reg. Aug 2008
Posted 2012-07-02 6:32 PM (#145301 - in reply to #145250)

At a thousand, it's probably a bit over-priced. It's at the end of its useful life, although with work it can be kept running for a lot more years. But I wouldn't be surprised to hook it up and have something break on my way home, just from age.

Without knowing what's in the nose, all I can tell you is the sucker is going to be heavy. It was built back in the day of cheap diesel, and weight wasn't a consideration for a lot of trailers. With the axles so far back, you're going to find it puts a lot of weight on the pin. All those doors (and I'm assuming two on the other side at least) add a lot of weight because of the hinges and latches, and to add insult to injury, the running boards on both sides, although handy, just throw so much more weight at it.

I'd guess it would overload a Titan, but without hooking it up and trying it and scaling it, one can't say for sure. For all I know, it could be very well balanced, taking most of the weight onto the axles and tow like a dream.

Be very careful in looking for rust, especially where the uprights connect to the side beams. Also make sure the side beams run the length of the trailer in an unbroken piece, rather then the horse area being a heavier strength then the nose of the trailer.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe
OakGroveRider
Reg. Jul 2012
Posted 2012-07-03 9:10 AM (#145318 - in reply to #145250)

Thanks Jim,

I will share your suggestion about rust and wear on the uprights and the side beams with my husband.

I am still thinking it’s going to weigh too much.  I can take off the back curtains and remove the middle partition… but it just seems like a really heavy trailer.

There’s that little voice in my head saying the Titan won’t be able to handle it… The voice is usually right. We’ll probably just keep looking.  

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)