'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
What kind of mount do I need?

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-06-15 11:48 AM
4 replies, 3239 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

megnponcho
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-14 3:26 PM (#144815)
Subject: What kind of mount do I need?

New User

Hello, I recently bought an old horse trailer that, at one point, had the spare tire attached somehow directly through the front of the trailer. When I bought it, the tire was not attached, just laying in the dressing room. Ad photos of the trailer show it mounted, and there are obvious tire shaped marks, so I know that this is what the hole is for (seems obvious but people have asked me do I know that that's what the hole is for. Yes, it is.) So there is a hole in the front of the trailer. What kind of mount do I need to get to mount the tire again? I have looked and looked and have seen all kind of mounts, but nothing that looks like it just goes right through a small hole in the trailer. Please help. Thanks!

share Top of the page Bottom of the page
retento
Reg. Aug 2004
Posted 2012-06-14 6:01 PM (#144821 - in reply to #144815)
Subject: RE: What kind of mount do I need?

Expert

Have you contacted the seller?

AZgrulla
Reg. Jan 2009
Posted 2012-06-14 6:54 PM (#144822 - in reply to #144815)

Veteran

Can you find a similar trailer online and get a pic of it, take the pic to a metal fabricator and I am sure they can weld you something similar. It probably would not cost that much in material/labor.

gard
Reg. Aug 2007
Posted 2012-06-14 10:39 PM (#144830 - in reply to #144815)

Expert

All you need is a bolt the same size as the holes in your wheel for the lug nuts. (This will be the same as the stud size on your brake drum) The head of the bolt will be placed within a small metal plate or large fender washer. This will be affixed on the inside of the forward bulkhead and exiting outside through the front.

The thread count should be the same as your lug nut, and by purchasing a common nut of the same size and thread, the bolt can be secured into place. The wheel is placed over the stud, and a lug nut holds it in place.

Usually under the wheel will be a supporting framework or plate that carries the tire's and wheel's weights. This should be centered almost directly under the bolt in the wall.

It is a good idea to purchase a wheel lock or a short security chain to fasten the wheel to the wall or stud. Spare tires are an easy target to be nicked, and expensive to replace.

megnponcho
Reg. Jun 2012
Posted 2012-06-15 11:48 AM (#144850 - in reply to #144830)

New User

Gotcha, I see exactly what you are talking about and I can probably fix this up myself. Thank you so much!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'
Registered to: Horse Trailer World
(Delete all cookies set by this site)