'
Forums Albums Skins 1
Search Register Logon

You are logged in as a guest. Logon or register an account to access more features.
OTHER FORUMS:    Barrel Horses  -   Trucks   -   Cutting  -   Reining  -   Roping 
'
sight unseen purchase/cross international border

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Last activity 2012-03-28 11:19 PM
8 replies, 6897 views

View previous thread :: View next thread
   General Discussion -> Trailer Talk  Click to return to Barrel Talk
Refresh
Message format

comrey2006
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-26 11:51 PM (#142519)
Subject: sight unseen purchase/cross international border

New User

I am wanting to purchase a used horse trailer sight unseen that is located in Texas.  I would need this trailer to be shipped to a location near the Canadian border, to be imported into Canada.  How can I cover my butt to make sure that this trailer is what I was wanting?  What if it arrives and it isn't what I was looking for?  This trailer is being sold by a private individual and not a dealer.
share Top of the page Bottom of the page
PaulChristenson
Reg. Jan 2007
Posted 2012-03-27 12:34 AM (#142520 - in reply to #142519)
Subject: RE: sight unseen purchase/cross international border

Expert

This is the stuff you'll need to get it into CANADA

http://www.riv.ca/Home.aspx

1 Verify the horse trailer's branding history if you are buying the vehicle in the U.S. This will confirm if the trailer has been involved in a serious accident and may not be deemed roadworthy by Canadian authorities.

2 Contact the Registrar of Imported Vehicles (RIV) in Canada for "recall clearance" for your horse trailer. Once RIV has received confirmation that any manufacturing defects have been corrected and the trailer does not pose a safety risk, recall clearance documents --- valid for 30 days --- will be issued. There are some exemptions to this RIV process, such as vehicles imported by temporary residents or visiting forces personnel. RIV can be contacted toll free at 888-848-8240 in both the U.S. and Canada.

3 Confirm if the horse trailer needs modifying to comply with Canadian motor vehicle safety standards by checking the website of government transport agency Transport Canada.

4 Complete all relevant documentation such as the vehicle import form --- available at border crossings or in advance from Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) --- and ensure you have original proof of ownership for the vehicle. Because the horse trailer is not a self-propelled vehicle, there is no need to fill out forms for U.S. Customs.

5 Pay the relevant vehicle import fee to CBSA. As of February 2011, this fee was around $220, including taxes. You can pay via credit card at the border or in advance through the agency's website or at its offices. Checks are also accepted but should be sent well in advance as processing times can be lengthy. Due to local taxes, import fees may vary depending on the region of Canada you arrive in.

6 Check the inspection form issued by RIV in order to determine if any modifications are needed. If they are, they should be carried out as soon as possible and the trailer taken to a RIV inspection center for checking.

http://www.ehow.com/how_7961891_import-horse-trailer-canada.html

Edited by PaulChristenson 2012-03-27 12:37 AM
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-03-27 9:21 AM (#142527 - in reply to #142519)

Expert

Originally written by comrey2006 on 2012-03-26 8:51 PM

I am wanting to purchase a used horse trailer sight unseen that is located in Texas.  I would need this trailer to be shipped to a location near the Canadian border, to be imported into Canada.  How can I cover my butt to make sure that this trailer is what I was wanting?  What if it arrives and it isn't what I was looking for?  This trailer is being sold by a private individual and not a dealer.

The only way you can be sure of the trailer is to go look at it for yourself.  Depending on the trailer price... Airfare may be cheap insurance for your " butt".

horsey1
Reg. Dec 2004
Posted 2012-03-27 9:47 AM (#142535 - in reply to #142519)

Elite Veteran

I agree with Hoss. Go see it.
Jim Kelly
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-27 10:10 AM (#142537 - in reply to #142519)

New User

I would agree with Hoss as well

torodin
Reg. Mar 2012
Posted 2012-03-27 10:32 AM (#142539 - in reply to #142519)

I am in Ontario and have been looking at various trailers on the site. Same concerns about bringing one in to Canada and not knowing condition of used.  Ninety nine point nine percent of people are good, honest and represent the equipment as it is. My fear is the point one percent. Unless its new, its hard to know. How can you tell if any welds are cracked etc. without actually looking at the trailer. My needs are simple. A 16 to 18 foot aluminum to haul cattle to shows and market about 4 times a year. Good luck with your search.
hosspuller
Reg. Oct 2003
Posted 2012-03-27 5:47 PM (#142543 - in reply to #142519)

Expert

Another thought ... Take pictures... lots of them all around  and in the trailer .  If you do decide to purchase it, show the pictures to the transporter.  Tell them if the condition has changed when they arrive to p/u.   DON"T take it.  Then the transporter is responsible to deliver it in the same condition they picked it up.  If it's not, you have some hold on the transporter.

Cindy Trailer Depot
Reg. May 2004
Posted 2012-03-28 9:17 AM (#142569 - in reply to #142519)

Regular

I would either fly down to look at it....or....call a reputable dealer nearby and pay them to go inspect it....I wouldn't give any down payment to a private individual at all....they may be perfectly ok, but I wouldn't risk my money. We have inspected several trailers off of our lot for out of state purchasers....for one thing it insures that the trailer is actually a real trailer and not a scam ad....as well as verifying the condition is what the seller is advertising....We had a customer wire money to Florida to have a "good deal" LQ trailer shipped up here to Oklahoma....supposedly, the trailer was in the E-bay "yard"....we all know how that worked out...if they had called a dealer to go look at it, they would have found out real quick that the trailer was no longer in the "yard" and that there really never really was a trailer to begin with.....P.S...A few months ago, I bought a classic car at an auction out of state....I paid a regular vehicle inspector to look it over for me first....money well spent....
loveduffy
Reg. Feb 2006
Posted 2012-03-28 11:19 PM (#142604 - in reply to #142519)

Expert

cindy is right and the others are also right go see it other wise buy beware
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Message format

'